Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 4, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #331 of 815
Yay! just received mine. These showed up along with the K712 Pro, within hours from each other. Got a long night ahead of me and thank god we're going into the weekend.
Denon 2.jpgDenon 1.jpgDenon 3.jpg

Fit and finish is outstanding. Love the metal frame and the zebrawood cups, and don't mind the pleather pads albeit a bit firm.

Now, I definitively notice the hotspot on top of my head like many have mentioned here. I have to extend them further than normal to alleviate the pressure at the expense of slightly losing some of the clamp force. Luckily, I still have few more clicks to go on the extension, if needed. Not the most comfortable. If these were >400g, the pressure would've been unbearable IMO.

Just for comparison, below is a shot w/ Sony Z7M2. The headband on the Denon is just too wide IMO, where it makes it too flat when extended outward.
20201204_180701.jpg

Sound wise, I've only had them on my head for a few minutes but so far, not my cup of tea.
They sound 'fun' but too forward and intimate for my liking. The low-end for me doesn't sound all that great either. A touch too elevated for my taste, boomy, and lacks control.

Still, at $209 (BF discount), I would gladly keep them. $699 full retail on the other hand, would've been a much tougher pill to swallow.

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #332 of 815
I found this interesting, these sound better out of portable like amping devices like my LG V50, DAPs, etc.. I've experienced this with VMODA M200 as well, which was too sensitive for my desktop amp, which has pretty high gain for it. I just find it interesting that my V50 can cause the bass to thump like that. I guess these types of drivers were made to be used for portable amping or at a certain amp gain level. D9200 was similar in how it was driven well from portable devices.
Agreed, D series are efficient headphone, low load impedance and high sensitivity, no amp is required, portable DAP or phones are adequate.

Even if you really need an amp, you need to search a good circuitry with low input/source impedance one.

Dec 4, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #333 of 815
Agreed, D series are efficient headphone, low load impedance and high sensitivity, no amp is required, portable DAP or phones are adequate.

Even if you really need an amp, you need to search a good circuitry with low input/source impedance one.

I tried these straight out of my ibasso Dx120 DAP and they sounded good, but I would have to say I prefer the sound out of my Centracne DACmini amp with the custom 1 ohm mod that I usually use for my low impedance headphones. It is really quite amazing how well this old venerable $400 DAC/amp still holds up with low impedance headphones as compared to contemporary equipment.. As an added benefit, I love the fact the line output of the DACmini is volume controlled to run the studio monitors on my desk.

The Liquid Platinum handles low impedance cans just fine and sounds good with these, but adds a warmth these headphones probably don't need. I have yet to try them out with the THX 789.

The Fostex/Denon sound signature will not please everyone, but these are crazy good for the BF price easily surpassing the ~$450 Fostex TR-X00 IMHO. Probably the best value I have ever received on a headphone purchase. I really needed a better pair of closed headphones at home as my Verite Closed live at work and after spending the day with them I am quite happy (until I can afford the Focal Stellia).

Dec 5, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #334 of 815
For people who have the Fostex’s and/or D5000 and have experienced the new Denon-made 5200s, would you put these within the “Fostex/Denon” cannon? Aside from the brand and the closed backs, these are not in the same ballpark as my Lawtoned EMUs but I’ve only ever heard those post-mod. I know the X000s and below are Fostex but I’d say these are not in the same ballpark (not league, but pall park). Just completely different cans than the ‘traditional’ Fostex sound. I think these are more similar to HD6XX than TH-X00 but fully admit that’s based on a mix of listening to some and reading about others.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #335 of 815
For people who have the Fostex’s and/or D5000 and have experienced the new Denon-made 5200s, would you put these within the “Fostex/Denon” cannon? Aside from the brand and the closed backs, these are not in the same ballpark as my Lawtoned EMUs but I’ve only ever heard those post-mod. I know the X000s and below are Fostex but I’d say these are not in the same ballpark (not league, but pall park). Just completely different cans than the ‘traditional’ Fostex sound. I think these are more similar to HD6XX than TH-X00 but fully admit that’s based on a mix of listening to some and reading about others.

I have the TR-X00 and used to own a pair of D2000. To my ears, these sound more similar to those in that they have a V-shape signature with a large bass presence and an acceptable, but unremarkable sound stage. I have never really heard the higher end Fostex so I have no experience there. I thought the Massdrop X00 series was supposed to be very similar the the TH-600, but again have no direct experience there. I might have to try that Lawton upgrade on the TR-X00 for $45 though, just out of curiosity.

I don't own a pair of HD6xx, but I do own a pair of ~ 12 year old HD650's that I typically run off a BH Crack w/speedball and they are a totally different animal to my ears, not even close. I would say theHD650's have a more pronounced midrange with an more open sound stage with much less low frequency presence.

Dec 5, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #336 of 815
I had purchased some Dekoni nuggets a while back and never had the need to use them until now. They seem to work well to relieve the hotspot. I put one on each side of the hotspot right at the top and now, with the headphones extended to max, they are very comfortable for me. Not sure how long they'll stay on, the adheisive doesn't seem that strong, but I don't want to damage the headband either, so good they come in a pack of 4. https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-nuggets-headphone-headband-pressure-relief-pads-4-pack/ if you're interested.

Dec 5, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #337 of 815

I think since it's so sensitive, amp gain has to be at a particular range, and portable devices happens to be at the sweetspot. This is something I've discovered with recent sensitive headphones I've been using. Desktop amps are not working with the D series for the sound I want, and it's odd that I'm getting better bass response out of my LG V50. Because it's usually the opposite. I'm more than satisfied with bass performance at this point, but the highs can be better refined. Bass is quite tight is the way to describe it, it's uncanny how tight it is driven from a portable device.

The way I can describle the bass is tight and hard with low release decay. TH-X00 (Ebony for me) has different type of bass, not so hard with more sub emphasis.

So, low impedance is a must since it's 24 ohms, but also appropriate drive gain level since it's so sensitive.

I think low impedance high sensitivity is pretty much developed for portable devices.

Senneisers for example are at 300 ohms, but still sensitive. But, sensitivity alone doesn't mean it's best driven by a portable device, but the high ohmage tells us we should apply higher voltage swing to get it to sound it's best. Which is the reason why tubes are often recommended.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #338 of 815
I think since it's so sensitive, amp gain has to be at a particular range, and portable devices happens to be at the sweetspot. This is something I've discovered with recent sensitive headphones I've been using. Desktop amps are not working with the D series for the sound I want, and it's odd that I'm getting better bass response out of my LG V50. Because it's usually the opposite. I'm more than satisfied with bass performance at this point, but the highs can be better refined. Bass is quite tight is the way to describe it, it's uncanny how tight it is driven from a portable device.

You might like the Topping L30 amp. Whereas other similarly priced amps such as the JDS Labs Atom and Schiit Heresy have a 0db low gain, the L30 has both a 0db and a -9db low gain option.

Dec 5, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #340 of 815
I think those types of small gain amps would work with this headphone, but it seems even my V50 is perfectly sufficient.
The LG V series have a DAP grade DAC/AMP so it's not a surprise it performs so well.

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #341 of 815

I've had AH-D2000, TH-X00 Mahogany, Purplehearts, custom Palo Santo, and heard the Ebonies. The AH-D5200 shares a bit of the subbass focus of the previous Denon/Fostex biodynas, but it's more controlled/tighter and also much more forward in mids/vocals... the mids really remind me of the Porta Pros/HD6XX... but really focused on and brighter compared to them so it comes off a little uneven in character where the Porta Pros and HD6XX sound very uniform and well balanced. The AH-D5200 also is thinner and brighter sounding than any of the previous Denon/Fostex... the subbass doesn't have the massive power behind it that the Fostex Purplehearts do, but that also make it punchier and tighter sounding. It's a more energetic and highly strung sound, which also feels less warm and less solid compared to the Fostexs. I'm coming around to the AH-D5200, but it's no TH-X00 Purpleheart replacement... too bright, too thin, missing the smooth musical vibe, and that monstrous low end energy presence.

Also weirdly, it seems to favor SS amp over hybrid tube amp... where the TH-X00 Purplehearts are kind of opposite.

The zebrawood cups are also a bit disappointing to me... I don't know what was exactly done to it, but seems they colored the wood and used a matte/satin clear coat over it to make it a particular dark shade/color for the overall look of the headphone. Why do that to one of the most gorgeous tonewoods you can get? Unmolested zebrawood is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful to look at:

My zebrawood cup modded HD58X vs the 'zebrawood' AH-D5200...
i-jzGm3db.jpg

And the modded HD58X do have more subbass presence than the AH-D5200... they fall in between the 5200 and Purpleheart for subbass energy, but are very warm and dark sounding though.

Really looking to modify the headband on the 5200... that is the one thing with them that I really have issue with. I just want to remove all the padding/internals and just leave the metal band and make a suspension strap system. Not much room to work with, but as long as there's a gap between the band and strap it will work. Never made the strap for my D2000, but I did strip it down...could definitely figure out a custom strap if it's similar:

i-HG5ZbHf.jpg

i-tBwvvf9.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #342 of 815
This could be dumb perception on my part, but when I increase the gain on the V50 by triggering high-impedance mode (I notice the volume slider goes down, but it's louder), the bass sounds worse, and I do notice with with my desktop amp. Bass sounding worse with higher gain amp. This is what I've been noticing and could be just false perception. So, based on this, I think this headphone has to be at an appropriate gain to get the best out of it.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #343 of 815
I've had AH-D2000, TH-X00 Mahogany, Purplehearts, custom Palo Santo, and heard the Ebonies. The AH-D5200 shares a bit of the subbass focus of the previous Denon/Fostex biodynas, but it's more controlled/tighter and also much more forward in mids/vocals... the mids really remind me of the Porta Pros/HD6XX... but really focused on and brighter compared to them so it comes off a little uneven in character where the Porta Pros and HD6XX sound very uniform and well balanced. The AH-D5200 also is thinner and brighter sounding than any of the previous Denon/Fostex... the subbass doesn't have the massive power behind it that the Fostex Purplehearts do, but that also make it punchier and tighter sounding. It's a more energetic and highly strung sound, which also feels less warm and less solid compared to the Fostexs. I'm coming around to the AH-D5200, but it's no TH-X00 Purpleheart replacement... too bright, too thin, missing the smooth musical vibe, and that monstrous low end energy presence.

Also weirdly, it seems to favor SS amp over hybrid tube amp... where the TH-X00 Purplehearts are kind of opposite.

The zebrawood cups are also a bit disappointing to me... I don't know what was exactly done to it, but seems they colored the wood and used a matte/satin clear coat over it to make it a particular dark shade/color for the overall look of the headphone. Why do that to one of the most gorgeous tonewoods you can get? Unmolested zebrawood is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful to look at:

My zebrawood cup modded HD58X vs the 'zebrawood' AH-D5200...
i-jzGm3db.jpg

And the modded HD58X do have more subbass presence than the AH-D5200... they fall in between the 5200 and Purpleheart for subbass energy, but are very warm and dark sounding though.

Really looking to modify the headband on the 5200... that is the one thing with them that I really have issue with. I just want to remove all the padding/internals and just leave the metal band and make a suspension strap system. Not much room to work with, but as long as there's a gap between the band and strap it will work. Never made the strap for my D2000, but I did strip it down...could definitely figure out a custom strap if it's similar:
In the comparison pic, the 5200 looks like wengé.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #344 of 815
This could be dumb perception on my part, but when I increase the gain on the V50 by triggering high-impedance mode (I notice the volume slider goes down, but it's louder), the bass sounds worse, and I do notice with with my desktop amp. Bass sounding worse with higher gain amp. This is what I've been noticing and could be just false perception. So, based on this, I think this headphone has to be at an appropriate gain to get the best out of it.

Could the drivers needs some burn-in , then the bass may sound better revealing wider soundstage.

Could be one of the Denon's marketing strategies, to make 5200's Zebrawood looks not as pleasant as 7200 than 9200.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #345 of 815
Double post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back