Denon AH-D5200 (little brother of the AH-D7200)
Dec 7, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #346 of 815
Just received these this morning. Haven’t listened yet - only tried on to make sure it was working and curious to check fit. The headband and ear pads are not great. The foam is kinda stiff in both. And the headband has barely enough length with just small contact patch at top of head. I have adjusted to full and it just barely sits right. I would say modifying headband pad might be necessary for me. Pads will get rolled too for something more comforming.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #347 of 815
Got mine in on Saturday, 2days ago, blackfriday deal. Was actually going to send them back without opening because i also ordered some Sundara after my denon order status went to 'problem'.

The itch got the best of me, eventhough i listened briefly to these last november at an event in tokyo, and I opened the box.

Now the sundara are heading back and with the money im saving will get a shorter cable to use on the sofa with the denon.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #348 of 815
Just received these this morning. Haven’t listened yet - only tried on to make sure it was working and curious to check fit. The headband and ear pads are not great. The foam is kinda stiff in both. And the headband has barely enough length with just small contact patch at top of head. I have adjusted to full and it just barely sits right. I would say modifying headband pad might be necessary for me. Pads will get rolled too for something more comforming.
I placed my 5200 on the headphone stand over night and the pads feel better now. My stand is a little big so I wont leave them on it often.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #349 of 815
Got the D5200 into today. First impression is that they are most likely not for me.

But I need to leave them alone for a few days and go back and listen. I also got in the Triangle BR02 speakers today that are on Adorama for $279. They are excellent and what I want to listen to right now. They might be affecting my judgement of the D5200. But the BR02 are so good nearfield in my desktop setup.

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #351 of 815
Went ahead and just ordered Yaxi pads for my AH-D5200, both the Alcantara and 'leather' versions. Had them previously on one of my TH-X00s and liked them a bit more than the ZMF Ori pads....

https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/th900-610/

How I generally felt about them on my TH-X00 Purpleheart:

Yaxi Alcantara TH900/610 (with custom attenuator) - A more even and relaxed neutral presentation than any other pad I've tried. Tames down the highs and bass, mids about same as stock. A little more neutral and balanced than the ZMF Ori suede, along with being more laid back. Very comfortable pads, at least as comfortable as the ZMF Ori.

Yaxi 'Leather' TH900/610 - (with custom attenuator) - Synthetic leather pad that is more inline with the ZMF Ori Sheepskin sound, but a little more emphasized and fuller sound. Very comfortable pads though the Alcantara version is a little more comfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #352 of 815
Well i opted for the cable route. meze has 50% off their balanced cable. shipping cost sucked though. Not that i dislike the stock cable but i want a shorter one for different use. hopefully the sound stays the same.

Edit: Just realized that amazon has the meze cable, same price, free shipping! … angry

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #353 of 815
Hey...anyone who does not want their Denon AH-D5200 can send it to me and I will give a heartfelt happy Christmas shout-out to the donor and their family. PM me for details. :)

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #354 of 815
Since someone has put his bid, i'm gonna follow suit.

I've been in the market looking for a closed-back with little to no amp needed (because I don't have extra budget for those), and I believe these cans are the perfect fit.

Everyday I beat myself up when I missed out on that BF deal lol. So, if anyone's not happy with their purchase, hit me up. Let's try to make a deal:)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #355 of 815
Well i opted for the cable route. meze has 50% off their balanced cable. shipping cost sucked though. Not that i dislike the stock cable but i want a shorter one for different use. hopefully the sound stays the same.
I have the maze balanced cable with the 7200 and for me it is fine. I sounded slightly brighter at the beginning but no I do not hear any change

Dec 8, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #356 of 815
Went ahead and just ordered Yaxi pads for my AH-D5200, both the Alcantara and 'leather' versions. Had them previously on one of my TH-X00s and liked them a bit more than the ZMF Ori pads....

/QUOTE]

[

Unfortunately they dont fit properly. I have the Alcantara and they're just too large.

Let me know if you are successful in mounting them!

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #359 of 815
Sorry for the general question: recommend good cheap replacement cable that is not so microphonic as stock?

D5200 reminds me of 6XX but much better bass and brighter (bad). This was mentioned earlier in the thread by another (sorry dont remember which user) but I agree that these pads fit okay and reduce highs to more acceptable levels.: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SCNCH5R?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

See my before/after MEHsurements at other forum...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #360 of 815
Hi All,

Wondering if somebody could kindly offer their thoughts on the following...

I'm torn between used Denon AH-D2000 or brand new AH-D5200 (both options are around £350-£400 mark). They will be powered by a Fiio K5 Pro dac/amp which is great especially for the price - https://www.fiio.com/k5pro .

I use Philips Fidelio X2HR with them now, but I seek a more "fun" sound, with more sub bass, and clearer midrange, but without fatiguing highs. I recently returned a faulty pair of Philips Fidelio X3 which had lovely mids & treble but lacked bass and were gutless with sub bass.

I was recommended Massdrop Fostex TR-00 Purplehearts but there are none for sale here in the UK. Also heard horror stories of poor build quality and failures happening with headband.

I listen to a lot of EDM (think "Ghostkeeper" by Klangkarussell, Tiesto, M83, Chicane etc), some soundtracks (Vangelis etc), chilled music like "Music for Airports" by Brian Eno, and some 80s/90s music.

So very varied taste in music, but the deepest satisfaction comes when there is a gorgeous lush sub bassline to enjoy.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back