Denon AH-D5000
Oct 31, 2010 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

yoyo59

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone know if the denon 5000 would be a good match with the asus essence st? thanks

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 5
I used them with the Xonar STX. It worked very well, and the D5k are easy to drive.
I had a bit of an issue with the intense bass of the D5k, but that was regardless of the amp used.

shane

Oct 31, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I used them with the Xonar STX. It worked very well, and the D5k are easy to drive.
I had a bit of an issue with the intense bass of the D5k, but that was regardless of the amp used.

shane

could you explain your impressions of the d5k when paired with the essence? thanks!

Im after warm/deep bass / crisp/ good soundstage  which I hope the d5k deliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
could you explain your impressions of the d5k when paired with the essence? thanks!
Im after warm/deep bass / crisp/ good soundstage  which I hope the d5k deliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Warm... check.
Deep bass... check.
Crisp... check.
Good soundstage... check.

All are attributes of these Denons. No doubt. I loved everything about the D5k and that's why I tried the LA200 Lite and now own the D7k (which are here to stay).
But what drove the D5k off my head (with all my source DAC's / amps) is the overly exaggerated bass (for my tastes). It seemed to overpower the rest of the glorious sound... when deep bass was present in the recording. You may be able to (and I'm sure some do) EQ the bass back a bit and I think that could be a very good solution. The Xonar software allows EQ'ing and that could work very well (though it's something I don't do).

Hope that helped.

shane 

Dec 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Got them today. At work on my Fiio E7 they were better than my Usone 750's but nothing to scream about. Now at home with Apogee Duet DAC / LD MKIII Amp and wow. So nice. I'll be taking my Usone 900's to work and mothballing the 750's. I've been looking for a closed phone as comfortable and musical as my Grado PS1000's and these are it. Found them on Amazon for $389.

They actually isolate better than the Usones, and the pleather is not unduly hot. They are not sensitive to head position. The bass is incredible, probably due to the 50mm drivers. And very precise. (Usone 580's also have 50mm and have nicer bass than the 750/900's). The balance is nice, the fit & feel is very nice, and while the clarity doesn't beat the PS1000's, the bass does, and for pop/trance/electronica they are actually superior. It does an incredible job with dynamics, from thundering bass, to whisper quiet ambient sounds. No compression.

The PS1000's will magnify the heck out of any flaws in the recording, the Denon's are more revealing than the Usones, but still let you enjoy MP3's at a decent bit rate thru good amplification.

Usones do a great job of emulating open phones, the treble is light, detailed, airy, but very sensitive to the position on your head. I think Denon has one upped them in comfort and listenability.

Good closed phones are VERY hard to find. These are amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back