Denon AH-(D5000 primarily)7000 or 2000 owners
Nov 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Deadmeat20

New Head-Fier
I am an owner of the Denon AH-D5000 and have lived happy with the headphone for quite a few months now.

Recently though a phenomenon occured that I find really particullar and would need more people to help confirm..

When I listened to the Denon AH-D5000 a week ago, I found that In a organ track containing frequencies between 20-35 Hz a odd occurence.

There was a light tapping noise similar to something hitting against another material.

I myself though it was something with the padding at first or possibly my Amplifier that made any sort of noise somehow.

Yet after trying out another headphone on the amplifier as well as running it through a 6.3 mm jack out of another source I found the sound to still presist in being there.

There was nothing to be seen yet on the headphone that could cause this and this have now led myself to wonder if there might be something inside the headphone too tightly constructed.

I would really appreciate Feedback if anyone else who has the Denon AH-D5000 happens to find a similar phenomena.

Do note that my Amplifier of then was a Argon HA1 with a total of 24 miliwatt output at 33 ohm wich is the usable amount before clipping.

Denon AH-D5000 is specified at 1800 miliwatt max input so a sufficient headphone amplifier would be recommended for testing.

I myself find this pretty "Not a good happening" due to the headphone being very good and having great potential.

Testing material recommended is low frequency around 20-35 hz for highest detection efficiency or any other instrument reaching that low at sufficient Volume level as stated above.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 12
Could be a hair or piece of debris.

Quote:
I am an owner of the Denon AH-D5000 and have lived happy with the headphone for quite a few months now.

Recently though a phenomenon occured that I find really particullar and would need more people to help confirm..

When I listened to the Denon AH-D5000 a week ago, I found that In a organ track containing frequencies between 20-35 Hz a odd occurence.

There was a light tapping noise similar to something hitting against another material.

I myself though it was something with the padding at first or possibly my Amplifier that made any sort of noise somehow.

Yet after trying out another headphone on the amplifier as well as running it through a 6.3 mm jack out of another source I found the sound to still presist in being there.

There was nothing to be seen yet on the headphone that could cause this and this have now led myself to wonder if there might be something inside the headphone too tightly constructed.

I would really appreciate Feedback if anyone else who has the Denon AH-D5000 happens to find a similar phenomena.

Do note that my Amplifier of then was a Argon HA1 with a total of 24 miliwatt output at 33 ohm wich is the usable amount before clipping.

Denon AH-D5000 is specced at 1800 miliwatt max input so a sufficient headphone amplifier would be recommended for testing.

I myself find this pretty "Not a good happening" due to the headphone being very good and having great potential.

Testing material recommended is low frequency around 20-35 hz for highest detection efficiency or any other instrument reaching that low at sufficient Volume level as stated above.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 12
It has been checked of anything that could have entered the headphone but it doesn't exhibit anything similar to a piece of debris due to no matter how much we looked there was nothing to be found.

If there is any need to keep making sure try it out after looking throughoutly yourselves.

Nov 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 12
Just checked on my d5000+violectric v200 and didn't get any weird tapping noise (then again, I didn't have any organ tracks available, I just made a similar frequency sound in Reason).
do you hear it on both channels or only left/right ?
if it's only one channel, I'd say it could be hair or dusty debris. I might try again later, but I hope I won't stumble on the same 'issue'.
anyway, hope you'll sort this out.

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for the feedback.

There is primarily noise in the right earcup but there is a similar noise to a lesser degree in the left although not of such high amplitude as the right.

As for anyone testing with an amplifier there is a sufficient enough volume level requierd.

Do note that give the current spec and dimensions,this headphone is more than capable enough of levels exceeding 118 Db overall.

basshead.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Update: There has been a more throughout checking of a possible entering way for debris around the headphone and all the little "cracks and holes".

It seems highly unlikely that anyone would get anything beyond reach and have to take it appart to remove as long as you have the dustpads on.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #9 of 12
There has now been another observation done.

The ticking sound seems to be non permanent after all but it is recuring during alot of random times.

Having looked around and tried find both by touch and eye something that could be loose, It seems more like there is something non centered with the membrane.

Although it might not be such "a big fault", It is certainly annoying when it happens during sessions

Nov 21, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Did you see my response in the other thread about this issue?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522999/denon-ah-d5000-primarily-7000-or-2000-owners#post_7058901

It could be metal parts on the cup vibrating against each other.  I've heard such noises from mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back