Denon ah-d2000 vs. HE-400 vs. HD 650?
Jul 15, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
I'll throw my 2 cents in too. I agree with Oderi, the Mad Dogs might be worth putting on your short list. I havent heard the Mad Dogs per se, but based on how my modded T50 sounds I'm sure it sounds awesome. I responded to an Oderi post in another thread with regard to looking forward to his impressions of the Mad Dogs versus his d5k's. I had the d2k's a while back and returned them to headroom. In a word I thought they were boring, YMMV. I actually preferred my SR60's to the d2000, but I'm not a bass head per se, and I preferred the forward mids of the SR60 to the slightly recessed mids of the d2k. Also I listen to a lot of bluesy guitar driven rock, and again the d2k's were just meh sounding IMO, too laid back, lacked the attack of a Grado. I'd love to hear that he400, I've been hearing a lot of great things. Lot's of Grado heads switching to ortho's. I know for me the curent incarnation of my T50 is fuller, warmer, and lusher than my hf2. I'd go with the he400 personally, but that's only because I already have a modded T50, wasnt to fond of the d2k, and never had any interest in the 650.

Honestly the HE-400 is just a fantastic sounding head phone. I prefer it to my HE-500s for most music.  It does not have the best bass, the best mids or the best sound stage i have ever heard, but it does everything very well.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #33 of 45
Quote:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2064378725.png

I usually get worse believe it or not. It' usually a F+ but occasionally goes down to a F minus. 

...Wrong forum? Lols.

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #35 of 45
...aaand he just killed the discussion

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #37 of 45
That's nice, hope he found the amp that suits his needs by now, and he likes the phones better.

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #38 of 45
Coming in late, don't think you're even considering the D2000's anymore, but just in case you are, cross them out.  I've had the D2000's for over a year and everything you say you don't want in a headphone are the complaints I have with the D2000's.  I doubt I'll find another headphone that will make me grin as much when it comes to Sub-Bass rumble, but they're pretty much a disappointment in every other area.  For me at least.  Plenty of people seem plenty happy with them, sharp treble and mids getting lost just turn me off when listening to some songs/genres.

I'm having my own grudge match between Mad Dogs and HE-400's at the moment myself.  I might have to go with Mad Dogs just for value, unless I can find 400's used.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #39 of 45
Aug 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #40 of 45
HE-400s! Just got them and wow they are really good! Last time I tried them, I tried the first version and thought it was a bit too much hype for the performance and now owning the revised version, these are some really nice headphones!

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #41 of 45
I would agree, If you like a boring headphone get the HD650. If you like a dynamic phone with nice bass get the HE-400 or Denon ah-D2000. You can dampen the treble of the Denon with a little stuffing in the outside cup. I did and they kill the HD650 no comparison. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #43 of 45
I've seen various posts claim that the Mad Dog sounds extremely different in comparison to the HD600 / HD 650, but yet, others say they have a lot in common.  I own the Mad Dogs but I'm now wondering...if I get an HD650 or HE-400, will I just be buying a redundant phone?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back