Denon ah-d2000 vs. HE-400 vs. HD 650?
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

MartyMcFly

Head-Fier
I'm contemplating whether to get the denons, hifimans, or the sennheisers. 

I want to use the following songs as references for the kind of sound I'm looking for:
*Note* These are on youtube. You may want to download the FLAC files for hi-def examination.

Calvin Harris - You used to hold me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf58RAPR8Ws

Take note of the different bass levels. I would like the headphones to distinguish the clarity and richness of the lower bass while keeping the mid at reasonable level.

Skrillex - Slats Slats Slats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drWuviG18TU

Here is one of Skrillex's good songs before he went downhill with the dubstep fad. Notice the low bass in the background and the electronic sounds. I would like the headphones to pick up the low bass while keeping the clarity of the melody. I am looking for a warmer sound without the shrill treble.

Clint Mansell - Lux Aeterna

Probably one of my favorite classical songs. The reason I chose this particular song is because of the deep bass note around the 1:32 mark (i'm not sure if this is in the original track). I wasn't able to pick this up with normal speakers and like the boom of the bass drum and other percussion instruments. Would the d2000's support the sound stage and signature sounds from the strings and vocals? 

Janus - Eyesore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqGqNVuYOzk

Important to distinguish the texture of the guitars vs. the bass. I don't want the vocals get "muddied" into the  instruments.

Judging by these song choices, which pair of headphones would suit me best? I heard the hd 650s have a great sound stage and warmth and the HE-400s are great for rock.

Jul 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 45
Quote:
I'm contemplating whether to get the denons, hifimans, or the sennheisers. 
I want to use the following songs as references for the kind of sound I'm looking for:
*Note* These are on youtube. You may want to download the FLAC files for hi-def examination.

Calvin Harris - You used to hold me

Take note of the different bass levels. I would like the headphones to distinguish the clarity and richness of the lower bass while keeping the mid at reasonable level.
Skrillex - Slats Slats Slats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drWuviG18TU
Here is one of Skrillex's good songs before he went downhill with the dubstep fad. Notice the low bass in the background and the electronic sounds. I would like the headphones to pick up the low bass while keeping the clarity of the melody. I am looking for a warmer sound without the shrill treble.
Clint Mansell - Lux Aeterna
Probably one of my favorite classical songs. The reason I chose this particular song is because of the deep bass note around the 1:32 mark (i'm not sure if this is in the original track). I wasn't able to pick this up with normal speakers and like the boom of the bass drum and other percussion instruments. Would the d2000's support the sound stage and signature sounds from the strings and vocals? 
Janus - Eyesore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqGqNVuYOzk
Important to distinguish the texture of the guitars vs. the bass. I don't want the vocals get "muddied" into the  instruments.
Judging by these song choices, which pair of headphones would suit me best? I heard the hd 650s have a great sound stage and warmth and the HE-400s are great for rock.

The Denon AH-D2000 (25-Ohm) and Hifiman HE-400 (35-Ohm) are easy to amp.
The Senn HD650 needs an amplifier that can drive 300-Ohm headphones.

Jul 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 45
Never heard any of those phones, but I own the denon d7000 that holds a certain house sound signature with the d2000 and I have read several reviews and insights on the other 2 so take what I say with a grain of salt.

From the tracks you selected, I would assume you are somewhat of a bass head for whIch for D2000 and the HD 650 are both excellent choices. Neither one isolates sound particularly well so don't go wearing these in public. I would give the nod to the HD 650's as the better headphOne and they are one of the most popular models at head-fi. They do need some serious juice to get the most out of them meanwhile the denons can be decently driven by just about anything. Since you are somewhat into classical, I would think that you may enjoy the HD 650 over the denons due to the bigger soundstage. Out of the Denon line, I would say only the D7000 out does the HD 650 and even then it depends on who you ask (and maybe the D5000 as some prefer them over the D7000). From what I have read the HE 400 has decent bass but not excellent like the other two but has stronger mids. Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 45
Have not sampled the HiFiMan cans, and I'm making suggestions based off of memory - I'd go with Sennheiser from the three you listed. The D2000s can be sort of harsh on the top end, and the Sennheisers are an overall more musical can. If you want more body to the bass though, the Kenwood KH-K1000 are where I'd go; they'll hit harder, and retain the polite-ness/smooth-ness of the Sennheisers. What are you plugging into right now though? None of these are particularly hard to drive, but it's worth thinking about.

That second track clips something terrible.

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 45
I own all three of the mentioned headphones. The HE-400 is the set I would bring to the provable desert island if I had to choose amongst the three. It just does everything well and has a non fatiguing sound signature that becomes very addictive. the HD-650s do scale well with a better amp, but the HE-400s also shine with the amplification that  you use to drive them. The only thing that keeps the HE-400 from being the complete run-away choice between the three is they are the least comfortable, but are not uncomfortable by any means. If you are not using an amp then the D-2000s would be the logical choice. Sound is subjective, but in my opinion the HE-400 is just  superior sounding then the HD650 and the D-2000 in every aspect.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 45
It's hard to go wrong with the he400. They are so versatile and are pretty easy to amp. I would not put them up against the d2k though...it's not a fair fight. The d5k is a better comparison. Even then the he400 wins in just about every way except comfort. The denon has better sub bass also, but the he400 is no slouch with bass. 

The he400 is my favorite!

gL!!

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 45
You might try doing some searching, I think one member posted a review of the D2000 vs HE400 and had some brief comparisons of the HD650 as well, but I can't remember who.

As for which headphones to get, I'd throw HD650 out the window and get either D2000 or HE400 if you're really focusing on genres like dubstep and electronic.  While HD650 has a hefty mid-bass hump, and somewhat bloated in that region, it doesn't have the extension and crispness the HE-400 sports with its planar magnetic diaphragms.  The D2000, being mostly closed, can better build up low bass pressure than the other two. 

You didn't link to the Lux Aeterna song, but I think I know what you're talking about.  The version I have-- that was mixed for lord of the rings in mind?-- has a bass drop sometime after the long intro.  All headphones will hit that bass drop just fine.

I can't seem to find a youtube version of mp3 file of that Skrillex song that actually has good quality.  Either that or Skrillex was just horrible at mixing his songs back then.  The bass on it is very anemic, and everything else sounds very distorted.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 45
I've been searching and found out that the HE-400 have been getting good reviews. It's a hard choice, since I walked into these forums with a bias towards the d2000s. Now, I'm starting to rethink my position on the HE-400s. I will invest in a good amp, of course. So with amps+headphones, would you say the HE-400s are the clear choice?

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 45
Quote:
I've been searching and found out that the HE-400 have been getting good reviews. It's a hard choice, since I walked into these forums with a bias towards the d2000s. Now, I'm starting to rethink my position on the HE-400s. I will invest in a good amp, of course. So with amps+headphones, would you say the HE-400s are the clear choice?

Hands down.

Jul 13, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 45
@TMRaven: since you own both the HE-400s and d2000s, do you think the HE-400s will satisfy my bass needs? I know this question is quite subjective, but is there a significant difference between the two? For instance, does the sub-bass from the d2000s totally redefine the feel and sound of rock and electro songs... or is there a subtle difference? 

If the difference is marginal, I would be willing to side with the headphones that provide more versatility with other genres (i.e. classical and vocal music). Likewise, if the d2000s provide that vibrant bass definition that can't be compromised, then I might have to sway towards the d2000s. 

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:
@TMRaven: since you own both the HE-400s and d2000s, do you think the HE-400s will satisfy my bass needs? I know this question is quite subjective, but is there a significant difference between the two? For instance, does the sub-bass from the d2000s totally redefine the feel and sound of rock and electro songs... or is there a subtle difference? 

If the difference is marginal, I would be willing to side with the headphones that provide more versatility with other genres (i.e. classical and vocal music). Likewise, if the d2000s provide that vibrant bass definition that can't be compromised, then I might have to sway towards the d2000s. 

If you've read TMRaven's comparative reviews in detail, you'll note that from his experience, the D2000's bass isn't "endgame" at all, even against HE400s, it has more subbass quantity and more impact, but it is not as articulate / clean with respect to definition of lower mids. Factoring that into his opinion that the mids / treble of D2000's are very much no match for HE400s, the difference is quite clear.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 45
^^Pretty much what jerg said. He is right about the he400's. They are clearly a better hp across the spectrum. There is more sub bass impact with the d2k. Overall the he400 is a much better hp. The sound signature is distinctive and different. We're talking planar magnetic and not a traditional dynamic hp. 

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back