Denon AH-D2000 or Beats By Dre??? Please help decide!
Oct 15, 2010 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

emin007

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
was in the market for some decent new cans and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with these two heaphones?  If any suggestions or comments good or bad...  If any better alternatives please advise.
Currently using off of computer with XI-FI platinum edition SB card Asus laptop and EIO5 mini amp. 
Thank you in advance for any guidance!

Oct 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 11
Phiaton MS400 instead of the beats if you are looking for a portable great sounding set of similar coloring to the beats.  The ms400s absolutely crush the beats into the ground in every single way, as do the A2000s

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 11
I have the D2000's and they are great headphones.  They have kick ass bass, smooth mids and very detailed high's.  I purchased a mess of headphones in the same price range including the K702's, DT990's,  Shure 840's, M50's, Ultrasone 750 Pro's and prefer the Denons.  They are also light, very comfortable and efficient.  I haven't tried the Dr. Beats - they don't get much love on this site like Bose.  I am sure they sound reasonable though.  All of the above mentioned headphones sound good and the DT990's were a close second to the Denon's.  Sound is very personal and it depends what types of music you like to listen to.  I listened to some heavy King Crimson and preferred  the Ultrasones and Denon's.   Acoustic Music sounds great on the K702's and DT990's because they are open.  The DT990's sounded great with live music.  Some food for thought.  

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 11
M50s crush the beats.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 11
dude I had the same issue till I got the Shure 840 pads.  Then the m50s became a comfy dream.  with a bigger sound stage.  What a difference.

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 11
The denons are a fabulous can. Please don't consider the beats over this asian beauty. I would highly recommend getting the markl mod ie the dampening inside the cups and the recable if funds allow. I personally didn't like the pads stuffed at all.
You can pick up a cheap d7000 cable or even buy one of Lawton audio.  If you want to go all out, get the wood cups.
The denons have supremely deep bass and are suprisingly open sounding for a closed can. IMO you can't get much better for the money.
If your a bass-head like me, get the graham slee voyager. It's contour switch is fantastic with the d2000's. I thought it would be too much bass but the denons eat it up and come alive. Still tight, dynamic and refined - as long as your source is relatively neutral (imod was perfect)
good luck!

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 11
btw, you definately need an amp with the denons. They need ALOT of current!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back