Denon AH-D2000 - Need an Amp?
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

strend

New Head-Fier
I plan on purchasing a set of Denon AH-D2000 shortly. They will be used from my computer, driven directly by an Xonar DX.

Here's the Xonars Specs:

Quote:

Audio Performance
Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 116 dB for Front-out
112dB for other channels
Input Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted): 112dB
Output Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise at 1kHz (-3dB) : 0.00056% (-105dB) for Front-out
Input Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise at 1kHz (-3dB) : 0.0004% (-108dB) for Line-in
Frequency Response (-3dB, 24-bit/96kHz format): <10Hz to 48KHz
Output/Input Full-Scale Voltage 2 Vrms (5.65 Vp-p)
Bus Compatibility
PCI Express -PCI Express Rev.1.0a specification compatible
-Max. full 2.5Gbps bandwidth per direction and optimized latency for high-definition audio processing
-Compatible with X1, X4, X8, X16 PCI Express slots
Main Chipset
Audio Processor ASUS AV100 High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 192KHz/24bit)
24-bit D-A Converter of Digital Sources: Cirrus-Logic CS4398*1 for Front-Out (120dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)
Cirrus-Logic CS4362A*1 for other 6 channels (114dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)
24-bit A-D Converter for Analog Inputs: Cirrus-Logic CS5361* 1 (114dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)
Sample Rate and Resolution
Analog Playback Sample Rate and Resolution 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit
Analog Recording Sample Rate and Resolution 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit
S/PDIF Digital Output 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit, Dolby Digital, DTS

Would I need to look into purchasing an Amp as well? I was looking at the Zero, but the voltage/Vp-p look just as good on the Xonar?

Thanks for any input!

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 38
Although the denon d2000 are low impedance headphones they are still very sensitive and need a headphone amplifier. The Xonar DX is not adequate for this type of job. On the other hand the Zero does have a built in headphone amp and that might just cover it. To answer your question, yes, you need an amplifier.

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 38
I'm in agreement; D2000's do need an amp to sound their best. The Zero DAC amp was absolutely wonderful for the price. Oh, and for low imp headphones like D2000, you need to be more worried about current than voltage.

Jul 25, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by strend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses everyone, Looks like I'll be getting a Zero as well.

You didn't read rds's post very well did you. Why go with a Zero (DAC+Amp) when the DAC in your Xonar DX is already pretty damn good. Consider spending the same amount of money on a better amp instead.

Oh, and yes, the D2000 do benefit from an amp quite a bit.

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 38
I have an ASUS Xonar DX and plan on getting D2000's, and I just ordered my Zero amp/DAC. The main purpose of this is that the sound card will still do whatever processing I want, such as EAX for games, but using optical toslink to connect your sound card to the zero, you get the benefits of the better DAC/amp.

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an ASUS Xonar DX and plan on getting D2000's, and I just ordered my Zero amp/DAC. The main purpose of this is that the sound card will still do whatever processing I want, such as EAX for games, but using optical toslink to connect your sound card to the zero, you get the benefits of the better DAC/amp.

But how sure are you that the Zero has a better DAC?
cool.gif

Zero : AD1852
Xonar DX : CS4398

Nice comparison of these two DACs can be found here.

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 38
I won't be using stock DAC on the zero ;]

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 38
Oh, he has the Xonar already. I thought he was deciding between the two... I should probably read posts more thoroughly... >_<

Anyway, yeah. Go with what Fallen and RDS said and just get a separate headphone amp. It'll make the biggest difference. With the D2000's, the Zero's amp lacks a certain smoothness... for the price you can't really complain about that, but if you already have a perfectly fine DAC you should go for something else.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 38
I'm a little confused...

If you just hook an amp to a sound card (amp only...no DAC), then how do you bypass the sound card's OPAMP? It seems to me that you would be sending the signal through the sound card OPAMP and then through the amp's OPAMP. Maybe I have it all wrong.

I was keen on the idea of getting a amp or amp/DAC for my Prelude sound card and Denon D2000 headphone's, but I am not so sure now.

If I use optical/coaxial into a amp/DAC such as the Zero, then I am being told that I will not get effects in games like OpenAL+EAX, etc. I have a ticket into Auzentech's support group to see if this is true.

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 38
Almost all soundcards use opamps for the output stage, they are used to drive the line out signal. Opamp-based headphone amps use different types of opamps to drive headphones.

You're likely not going to get any special effects in games using a separate DAC (such as the Zero), but does that really matter? I've been using a separate DAC for gaming for years, I like it, nothing wrong with it.

If you already have an Auzentech Prelude, why the hell are you looking for a DAC anyway? You're not likely to find one better than the Prelude for a reasonable price and the headphone amps in those DAC+Amp units suck compared to what you can buy at the same price without a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back