Denon AH-D2000 - Need an Amp?
Aug 5, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 38
I purchased a Little Dot MK V to use with my D2000's and prelude. Big difference, super detailed, tamed the bass a bit. I had to build an impedance adaptor for my setup because the MK V + D2000's combo produces a very audible hissing sound. The adaptor works well and I'm happy with my setup, but I wish I had read more reviews before buying the Little Dot.

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #20 of 38
i paired this denon 2000 with an ipod nano and amped with a C&C F1 amp. sound improvement with the amp is mediocre after 24 hrs of burn in. anticipating a greater increase in quality hopefully after the 100 hr burn in time...

the improvement is pretty substantial when plugged into my PCs xfi soundcard. base is cleaner,but still retains its "rolling" quality, vocals come through clearer. overall sound is cleaner. however, for 160, im waiting for more of an improvement than i am hearing. cant wait for the burn in to be finished.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 38
I ended up buying a Travagans Red. I'll be picking it up from the post office today after work. Can't wait....I've been running the Denons from a FiiO for the last 2 weeks.

Sep 19, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyd171 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i paired this denon 2000 with an ipod nano, improvement is mediocre after 24 hrs of burn in. anticipating a greater increase in quality hopefully after the 100 hr burn in time...

the improvement is pretty substantial when plugged into my PCs xfi soundcard. base is cleaner,but still retains its "rolling" quality, vocals come through clearer. overall sound is cleaner. however, for 160, im waiting for more of an improvement than i am hearing. cant wait for the burn in to be finished.

Thats funny, I just received my pair of AHD2000's and I have been burning them in with my cowon d2 for the last 30 or so hours. I can't notice much of a difference yet either. How long does it take to fully burn these cans in? I will be burning them in with the assistance of a C&C XO portable amp soon (as soon as it gets here) maybe that will help with the extra juice from the amp.

Sep 20, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by strend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up buying a Travagans Red. I'll be picking it up from the post office today after work.

So, how do you like this pair (Denon+Travagans). Is it going to be a happy marriage? Any audible hiss? Please do share your impressions with us.

Sep 24, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by twoforty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats funny, I just received my pair of AHD2000's and I have been burning them in with my cowon d2 for the last 30 or so hours. I can't notice much of a difference yet either. How long does it take to fully burn these cans in? I will be burning them in with the assistance of a C&C XO portable amp soon (as soon as it gets here) maybe that will help with the extra juice from the amp.

sorry i made a mistake, i mean that i paired them with the C+C f1, ipod nano was the source. The C+C f1 only added a mediocre improvement to sound quality not worth the 160 price tag. I am actually going to return it, From what ive read, the headphone headstage lyrix pro is a better amp for the money, even than the C+C XO. I will be comparing it to my C+C f1 when it comes in and i will post thoughts.

however, the denon 2000s alone are incredible headphones. Ipod sound quality sucks though, doesnt do them justice. was thinking about upgrading to a cowon d2, however the file organizational interface seems kind of *****.

Sep 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, how do you like this pair (Denon+Travagans). Is it going to be a happy marriage? Any audible hiss? Please do share your impressions with us.

There is no hiss at all, with the D2000's or my ATH-A700's. I'd say out of the box the Travagans has a better pairing with the ATH-A700's then the D2000's. Not that the ATH-A700's even need an amp, but it is a notable improvement.

I find the combo(Red+D2000) to be overly bright, to the point that listening at higher volumes is painful/piercing. Mids are much improved vs. the FiiO amp. Bass is the same - basically amazing.

Right now I'm having a debate = sell the Red, or replace the OpAmps?

HeadphoneAddict states the OPA627 or AD743 OpAmps are a very good match for the Travagans+D2000, and I'm inclined to take his word.

I think I'll hold off the decision after some more time with the combo. Amps do have a burn-in time right? I's say so far I have about 80 hours on the amp.

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #27 of 38
They work well with a LD MKV...although I'm selling both my Denons AND my MKV. Nothing wrong with either, I just prefer the HD650 and it needs a nice new tube amp to be happy, lol...

Sep 24, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #28 of 38
Jesus, I am going crazy. One guy says that Denon D2000 are warm and need a bright amp. Another guy says that a bright amp like Travagan Red makes D2000 too bright. One guy says that LD MKV hisses with D2000. Another guy says that D2000 works well with MKV. One guy says that Heed is good with Denon, but the owner of Heed company relies to me personally that Heed is not suitable for 25 ohm headphones. The more I read, the more I become confused...

I don't even know if I should buy a tube amp or SS amp for D2000! 70% of the music I listen to is heavy (from Iron Maiden to Immortal), but I do listen to other styles as well (30%). I am afraid that a tube amp will not be compatible with heavy music, it will destroy the speed, fast punchy bass, attack, etc. But other guys listen to metal with hybrid amps and feel ok.

It's really hard for me...

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironmine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jesus, I am going crazy. One guy says that Denon D2000 are warm and need a bright amp. Another guy says that a bright amp like Travagan Red makes D2000 too bright. One guy says that LD MKV hisses with D2000. Another guy says that D2000 works well with MKV. One guy says that Heed is good with Denon, but the owner of Heed company relies to me personally that Heed is not suitable for 25 ohm headphones. The more I read, the more I become confused...

I don't even know if I should buy a tube amp or SS amp for D2000! 70% of the music I listen to is heavy (from Iron Maiden to Immortal), but I do listen to other styles as well (30%). I am afraid that a tube amp will not be compatible with heavy music, it will destroy the speed, fast punchy bass, attack, etc. But other guys listen to metal with hybrid amps and feel ok.

It's really hard for me...

I feel your pain dude. head-fi is a blessing, and a curse. the more you search, the more you find different opinions. It gets really frustrating when you feel you have made up your mind, then you read 3 posts that completely contradict what you felt you researched well. I think that eventually, after you listened to some gear, you find out which people have the same sonic views, and you can rely on some of them for a lot of info to steer you in the right direction. I myself, have given up on asking too much. I am trying to go to meets, and meet people in the area to try their gear. I took up this hobby about 3 months ago. its a rough an frustrating road if you tend to obsess. lol. which I do. But, I do love it, and there are some amazing people with great knowledge on this forum. good luck to you. I am making my christmas list, and I know D2000's are on it. ampwise, just not sure.

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #30 of 38
Thanks, Keithpgdrb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back