Denon AH-7200
Dec 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #1,531 of 3,155
I took close up pic to show what you seem to be complaining about a hairline in the design of the socket metal.

I should have written: splitline around the connector housing. What I'm talking about is between the wooden cup and the connector housing, and I think it's quite obvious. The curvatures continuity breaks in a terraced geometry both in the front and back (in direction of wearing).

I've got a brand new replacement can
, and now both of the cups are crackling not just the left one. Somewhere I read before (other brand headphone), that the wooden cups do this in case they are too dry. Has anyone had this issue with any brand and how could I help it without anything drastic/ losing the warranty?
Does anyone have this issue with the D7200s?

BTW, there is a sale on D7200s, so I might buy one, do a comparision myself.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #1,532 of 3,155
BTW, there is a sale on D7200s, so I might buy one, do a comparision myself
Where?

As for the crackling,
If you mean the wood creak, it could be that the tiny screws holding the cup to the metal frame is not tight.
Pop off the pads and check the tiny screws.
Carefull do not overtighten or they will strip.

Dec 11, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,533 of 3,155
Dec 12, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #1,534 of 3,155
considering getting a pair of this for travelling to replace my 5 year old AH D600 (which is my favorite closed headphone w easy drive)..will be paird with iphone7. are these easy to drive like the AH d600?

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,539 of 3,155
I spent some time testing this. Of course, I tried to equalise the volume while doing the comparison as the volume is lower with the higher output impedance. There isn't an easily noticeable difference between 3 and 130ohms. As I calculated, the difference would only be a dB or so in the frequency response. After longer listening, perhaps the bass is very slightly softer with the higher output impedance, but again nothing dramatic. Perhaps this is due to the lower electrical damping factor. The significance of electrical damping is debated, and it may be more significant with some headphones than others. It doesn't seem to be an issue for the D7200, and I was using a pretty high output impedance, so I would expect even less of an impact with 10 or 30ohm output impedance.

I also tested with a couple of amps which have zero ohm output impedance, and the only differences I could notice were the sonic traits which I know those devices have. Nothing which I would attribute to the output impedance. In the end though I would always choose a solid state amp with a low output impedance as I think it is just indicative of better design.

BTW, I saw that you sold your D7200s for about 100 dollars more than you paid for them, so you didn't do too badly.

-Mark.

Yes I did, I actually maybe made $1-2.
Since eBay has a 10% fee and shipping these giant headphones isn't cheap at all + insurance on the package (especially after the postal service lost my M8A).
It did take a while though.... I offered them to a few people at a slight loss but nobody was interested.

In terms of the amp output impedance I also noticed some high frequency "walls" or tonal mismatch when using my A30.

@sebna op amp rolling is hit and miss.. Without an incredible power supply, no amp can actually use any Burson op amp without internal oscillation occurring.

In my experience with op amp rolling.... There is no positive change past an op amp which is fully capable of audibly perfect 16 bit performance.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,540 of 3,155
not really familiar with headphone cable replacement vendors.. any suggestions / links?

Check eBay, they have alot of options from Chinese and even some USA small time cable vendors.
I bought a cool ofc cable for my AH-MM400s for $17 and a custom length and color ofc silver plate cable for my PM-2 for $35.
In terms of cable costs these are reasonable just based on the time required to create such cables and the Raw materials.
Please don't pay hundreds of dollars because there won't be any magical properties of such cables.

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,541 of 3,155
As far as pads and wood cups are concerned, are these compatible with the old Denon AH-D 5k and 7k and Fostex TH-X00?

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,543 of 3,155
The TH-X00 pads do fit the D7200, but not vice versa. The wooden cups are totally incompatible.

Great, thanks for your reply. :beerchug:

Dec 23, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #1,544 of 3,155
been using sheepskin ZMF Ori pads and they really make the bass a visceral experience. Only thing I didn't care for was the 100% seal around my ear. Had ZMF Universe, fenestrated show up yesterday and really digging that pairing - but I do prefer a more analytical headphone.

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,545 of 3,155
ZMF Ori pads on 7200 work for some genres of music, but they change the sound signature too much. In my trio of headphones i prefer Ori pads on HE-560, its a match made in heaven. I'm still waiting for Zach to release a thinner version of Ori pads (he promised in August to release by end of year). Thinner pads might work really well on 7200s.

P. S. The 7200s do get better after 100-150 hours of burn in, especially in high-mids and low-highs. I'm switching headphones rather often, but I do notice a difference, albeit very slight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back