Denon AH-7200
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,171 of 3,156
You are selling yours? Why ?
I have too many reference headphones so I have not been using it, I have the Susvara, Hifiman HE1000 and also the V2 plus the LCD 3 and LCD 4 sand 6 pairs of customs so it as new. I just sold the Elear to pay for the Oppo UDP 205 and have Modwrights on the new player so i sell stuff to pay for other stuff. Some one buying the 7209 get a almost new headphones for 35 percent less than retail.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,172 of 3,156
I have too many reference headphones so I have not been using it, I have the Susvara, Hifiman HE1000 and also the V2 plus the LCD 3 and LCD 4 sand 6 pairs of customs so it as new. I just sold the Elear to pay for the Oppo UDP 205 and have Modwrights on the new player so i sell stuff to pay for other stuff. Some one buying the 7209 get a almost new headphones for 35 percent less than retail.
You enjoy various sound signatures , good for you. I found my sound after many years of searching.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #1,173 of 3,156
You enjoy various sound signatures , good for you. I found my sound after many years of searching.
As a reviewer I need different headphones for all the gear I review. I enjoy the planars as well as closed IEM. I just listne to open more thna closed but the Denon is indeed very good andI am sure down the road I regret selling them.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #1,174 of 3,156
Thanks guys it makes interesting reading. The AHD-7000 have been my go to headphone for the past 5 years or so and I have never been disappointed listening to you. My plan was to have a high class closed (7000) and open (Beyer T1) and be satisfied but the 7200 has my curiosity; particularly as I love woodies.

Now I just gotta figure out whether to take the plunge and buy them before trying.

I use most of my headphones almost exclusively with my iMac using Audirvana+ streaming from my NAS through an NJC Audio Reference DAC and Monitor II amp. I am constantly trying to think of ways that I can improve that and my most recent focus has been on the DAC and whether there's a better one out there. I have looked at the LYR2/Bitfrost combo as well as the Oppo HA-1 and my plan was to push the button on that first.

Then the 7200's emerged.

Decisions.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #1,175 of 3,156
Thanks guys it makes interesting reading. The AHD-7000 have been my go to headphone for the past 5 years or so and I have never been disappointed listening to you. My plan was to have a high class closed (7000) and open (Beyer T1) and be satisfied but the 7200 has my curiosity; particularly as I love woodies.

Now I just gotta figure out whether to take the plunge and buy them before trying.

I use most of my headphones almost exclusively with my iMac using Audirvana+ streaming from my NAS through an NJC Audio Reference DAC and Monitor II amp. I am constantly trying to think of ways that I can improve that and my most recent focus has been on the DAC and whether there's a better one out there. I have looked at the LYR2/Bitfrost combo as well as the Oppo HA-1 and my plan was to push the button on that first.

Then the 7200's emerged.

Decisions.

Best to try it before you buy it, or buy it from somewhere with a good returns policy.

I must say that I was quite disappointed by it when I had one, I found it lacked energy, vibrancy and soundstage and was a bit of a one trick pony.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #1,176 of 3,156
What a pleasant surprise after connecting the Denons to the headphone output of my Accuphase E-305 integrated...sublime synergy.

This late 80's amp does not cease to amaze me!

img_4610.jpg

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,177 of 3,156
What a pleasant surprise after connecting the Denons to the headphone output of my Accuphase E-305 integrated...sublime synergy.

This late 80's amp does not cease to amaze me!

img_4610.jpg
Nice setup, I love retro gear. I bet the D7200's are sounding amazing out of that amp. To me the D7200's really plays nicely with analog sounding gear. Maybe that's why I prefer using them with my iDSD BL than with my Mojo.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,179 of 3,156
Love it with the Mojo..and a short Mogami Neglex cable for portable use

Today I received the Chord Mojo. Much better then the OPUS#1 DAP (too wide soundstage) or the Cayin i5 (rolled off treble). The Mojo has a fatter sound and the soundstage is not too wide. Wow, this is a great match! Using my laptop with JRiver via kernel streaming and optimised with Fidelizer I have a very nice office setup.

Yesterday I received my Forza Audio Works Noir HPC MKII cable. Very nice look and feel, but needs to burn in. I also orderded the Beyerdynamic Audiophile connection cable and when I have it, I will compare them.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,180 of 3,156
Guys, I don't know if the question has been asked already -don't remember seeing it in the thread- but can anyone recommend a balanced 4.4mm TRRRS cable for these? I intend to give them a go out of the Sony 1Z.
I remember reading earlier that only the first ring is used, so I don't suppose something like this would work?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRR04F0/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I8F0CS1QFYEF6&colid=JO734UJ17WPJ

Thanks for any advice.

This one sounds different from the stock cable. Bass is more controlled, it's a copper cable with more harmonics. I am burning in right now so after the weekend I will share my opinion.
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=81

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #1,181 of 3,156
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #1,182 of 3,156
Long time no see, I just want to chime in with an observation. Some time back the Chinese pads have been discussed. I noticed they sound better (more clear, more natural) when attached to the housing directly, with small patches of double sided adhesive tape instead of the plastic mounting rings. The difference is far more than e.g. cable changes typically provide. You can easily test if you like it more that way, too. My modded Lawton pads bring more bass energy and less mids, but overall I think I prefer the Chinese pads for natural and musical sound. Both sound way better than the stock pads IMHO. Enjoy the music!

Aug 23, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #1,183 of 3,156
I was looking at their Noir Hybrid. I'll be very interested to hear what you think once you've broken it in.

Well, I tried the Forza Audio Works Noir HPC but it's not my taste. This sounds very restless and also after the burn in, I am not convinced. In the meantime, I also ordered the Beyerdynamic Audiophile cable and this sounds really fantastic with the Chord Mojo. Compared to the Denon cable is this slightly better in the mids (no harsness). Voices (for example Gregory Porter) has a more natural sound.

Setup: Laptop with JRiver, Fidelizer, Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Audiophile cable, Denon AH-D7200 :)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,185 of 3,156
They don't sound like any of those. The D7200 have a beautiful bass with the rest of the sound signature quite neutral. They are rather awesome IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back