Denon AH-7200
Aug 6, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #1,126 of 3,165
can anyone comment on the Denon 7200 connected to a Mojo?
its ok for me ,, but you need more powerful amp to get full body ,, fostex drivers/clones chine with desktop amps ..

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #1,127 of 3,165
Hi there!
Finally
My personal experience is that you must combine the Denon with a relatively warm and powerfull source/amp. Class A amps seem the way to go. My Opus#1 I'm going to sell, and I've bought a warmer sounding Cayin i5. In addition, I have plans for finetuning with cables, Burson opamps, etc. Because the used equipment used makes the difference, I'll mention the configuration that suits me: Denon AH-D7200, Gustard H10, Opus#1 line-out, QED Performance J2P Graphite cable.

If you have experience or tips to optimize the sound, I would like to hear that!

I personally share the same experience, having tried anything from a FiiO X3, to a custom 2A3, I can say that these cans scale extremely well with the quality of source/amp. to my ears, paired with an Analog dac and my custom 2A3 amplifier, the Denons are second only to the Utopia amongst the hps I currently have or have tried.
I don't have any specific tips or tricks, simply give them the best source/amp you can get, and they will scale up consequently.

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #1,131 of 3,165
Can you confirm that D7200 is a Fostex clone or has Fostex drivers?
it dosent need a lot of thinking to know that it is based on the same design ,
maybe the material is deferent , improved , but they have a lot of resemblance,
sound signature , power requerment and scalability are very close ,
specwise both are 50mm , 25 ohm , above 100 Sensitivity , almost same cable quality ,
and both had history of collaboration and both are made in japan ..
simple logic :)

Aug 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,132 of 3,165
The D7200 has an impedance of 25 ohms and sensitivity of 105dB/mW. They only need just over 3mW and 0.3V to reach 110dB. You could power them with just about anything.
sound volume dosent mean quality .. simple as that ,, if you enjoy it with DAP or portable amp good for you ,
i tried the TH-900 which have the same specs on Astell & Kern AK380 , Lotoo PAW Gold , iFi Micro iDSD , Chord Mojo
and i have 7200 with the iFi Micro iDSD , Chord Mojo now .. all lack good control over the driver and lack full body sound..

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,133 of 3,165
sound volume dosent mean quality .. simple as that ,, if you enjoy it with DAP or portable amp good for you ,
i tried the TH-900 which have the same specs on Astell & Kern AK380 , Lotoo PAW Gold , iFi Micro iDSD , Chord Mojo
and i have 7200 with the iFi Micro iDSD , Chord Mojo now .. all lack good control over the driver and lack full body sound..
Earlier you referred to needing a powerful amp to get a full bodied sound. I agree that volume or power doesn't correlate to quality. Portable devices such as the Mojo have plenty of power for many headphones, and they also have extremely low output impedances, giving a high damping factor. Desktop amps often have much higher output impedances; the Audeze Deckard is 3 ohms, and I'm not sure about the Fostex HP-A8 because they don't publish the information. The higher output impedance will boost the bass of dynamic headphones, and the lower damping factor will make the sound more full bodied. You could say that it's objectively worse, but subjectively better, if that's what you like.

You can make impedance adaptors for devices like the Mojo and see how it affects the sound. With a low impedance headphone like the D7200, a few ohms should make the sound more full bodied.

Aug 6, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,134 of 3,165
Earlier you referred to needing a powerful amp to get a full bodied sound. I agree that volume or power doesn't correlate to quality. Portable devices such as the Mojo have plenty of power for many headphones, and they also have extremely low output impedances, giving a high damping factor. Desktop amps often have much higher output impedances; the Audeze Deckard is 3 ohms, and I'm not sure about the Fostex HP-A8 because they don't publish the information. The higher output impedance will boost the bass of dynamic headphones, and the lower damping factor will make the sound more full bodied. You could say that it's objectively worse, but subjectively better, if that's what you like.

You can make impedance adaptors for devices like the Mojo and see how it affects the sound. With a low impedance headphone like the D7200, a few ohms should make the sound more full bodied.
cmon man ,, i tried very low output impedance amps which have more body than the mojo ,, to name some : HPA V90 , Mytek brooklyn dac ,,,
if low output impedance will give less bass/ body! why these amps outperform the Mojo drastically?

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,137 of 3,165
cmon man ,, i tried very low output impedance amps which have more body than the mojo ,, to name some : HPA V90 , Mytek brooklyn dac ,,,
if low output impedance will give less bass/ body! why these amps outperform the Mojo drastically?
Source equipment and amps can colour the sound to make it more 'full bodied', regardless of their output impedance. Increasing the output impedance will change the sound signature, usually increasing the bass and making the sound more full bodied, and this is something which you can play around with quite easily.

its ok for me ,, but you need more powerful amp to get full body ,, fostex drivers/clones chine with desktop amps ..

My original point was that a more powerful amp doesn't necessarily mean a more 'full bodied' sound. Full bodied is a subjective term, and can mean the sound is coloured or distorted.

BTW, my profile pic is a thermal image of a Mojo, but I'm not a chord fanboy or apologist :) I don't actually use my Chord Mojo very much, although I do think it is an exceptional DAC/amp, regardless of size. Audio can be a very personal and subjective thing, so just listen to what you like. Lately I've been listening to AKG N90Qs, which have different 'stage' modes. I prefer the 'studio' mode which does some processing and adds crossfeed. The sound is processed, so coloured and distorted, but it sounds better to my ears. The bass is emphasised slightly, and the soundstage is more open.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,138 of 3,165
Source equipment and amps can colour the sound to make it more 'full bodied', regardless of their output impedance. Increasing the output impedance will change the sound signature, usually increasing the bass and making the sound more full bodied, and this is something which you can play around with quite easily.

My original point was that a more powerful amp doesn't necessarily mean a more 'full bodied' sound. Full bodied is a subjective term, and can mean the sound is coloured or distorted.

BTW, my profile pic is a thermal image of a Mojo, but I'm not a chord fanboy or apologist :) I don't actually use my Chord Mojo very much, although I do think it is an exceptional DAC/amp, regardless of size. Audio can be a very personal and subjective thing, so just listen to what you like. Lately I've been listening to AKG N90Qs, which have different 'stage' modes. I prefer the 'studio' mode which does some processing and adds crossfeed. The sound is processed, so coloured and distorted, but it sounds better to my ears. The bass is emphasised slightly, and the soundstage is more open.
whatever man ,, you keep saying coloured or distorted , to my ears is more true to life more detailed and more enjoyable representation of sound ,,
mojo is a nice amp/dac ,, i own it and i see its the best portable solution for the price , i enjoy it a lot with my Z1R and M1060 ,,
but it doesnt have the juice for fostex /clones Drivers and it is not better then descent desktop amplifiers ,
excuse me for now , am going to unbox my optimus prime dotm from 3A :)

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #1,139 of 3,165
whatever man ,, you keep saying coloured or distorted , to my ears is more true to life more detailed and more enjoyable representation of sound ,,
mojo is a nice amp/dac ,, i own it and i see its the best portable solution for the price , i enjoy it a lot with my Z1R and M1060 ,,
but it doesnt have the juice for fostex /clones Drivers and it is not better then descent desktop amplifiers ,
excuse me for now , am going to unbox my optimus prime dotm from 3A :)
You're back to the original point that I was making - The D7200s only need 3mW to drive them to 110dB, and to get to a reasonable listening level of 95dB only takes 0.1mW. The Mojo has plenty of juice to power them and to 'control the driver'. You might prefer the sound with other DAC/amps, but it isn't because they have more power, because you just don't need it.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,140 of 3,165
You're back to the original point that I was making - The D7200s only need 3mW to drive them to 110dB, and to get to a reasonable listening level of 95dB only takes 0.1mW. The Mojo has plenty of juice to power them and to 'control the driver'. You might prefer the sound with other DAC/amps, but it isn't because they have more power, because you just don't need it.
NEED to me is minamal not ultimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back