Denon AH-7200
Nov 3, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #1,411 of 3,156
That youtube clip is very rough. I have the HDTracks album and it is a very bright track not one I would normally use with my D7200. Sounds so much better on my Beyer Dynamic T1.2's
THe D7200 isn't even close to bright so I'm not sure why a "bright" track would matter lol

Either way as @zolkis said you can listen to whatever format you want hes just providing a song suggestion.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #1,413 of 3,156
@The Ringing Guy I don't want to bitch, but don't post illegal content here, it'll get you banned.

@zolkis regarding this post: the 7.5k peak on the green is really interesting in the measurements, why does it shift there? :p
I could see myself enjoying them, or not. For example, I've identified a sensitivity in the 7-9k region, but it's not just as simple as that, or by looking at a measurement. Similar FR/CSD sound different to my ears in the region; read: different headphones, but as they're positioned differently related to my ear due to differences in headband-driver position/construction etc., the inner ear resonances/HRTF etc. variables, some headphones just sound like ass, and some don't.
I could generalize hating the AKG/beyerdynamic peaks, but even then due to sample variation/production variables, some are bearable or even good, and some are just unbearable for me.

I shouldn't be stirring up any more conversation about the whole 'ringing' subject tbh, the discussion should be over already :p

And ps. @The Ringing Guy as a former drummer, hearing up to 20k, that's lovely. I might push over 18500 on a very good day, with low blood pressure, no stimulants e.g. caffeine, stress, sitting beside a palm tree on a beach with a completely silent ocean, after getting my ear canals cleaned by angels.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #1,414 of 3,156
If those same piano tracks above can be provided in FLAC, WAV or MQA I'd be interested in hearing them.

And just a btw: the particular master/catalog number matters more on, and after 320 quality, than the actual sample rate/bit depth. WTS: http://dr.loudness-war.info/
Some releases just sound like ass.

Nov 4, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #1,415 of 3,156
@zolkis regarding this post: the 7.5k peak on the green is really interesting in the measurements, why does it shift there? :p

It sounds quite benign in the treble. The mids are still hotter a bit. Also, one bigger (but insignificant) 9kHz ridge on the CSD is replaced with 3 smaller ones, you can see their center points on the FR. Sounds smoother and more extended anyway, with less midrange energy even though the mids FR is more linear! IMHO that is a big improvement. I only wish I could do this on the TH900...

BTW it's known that FR measured with dummy head/coupler above 4 kHz is just for general direction, as it is not exact, will depend on reflections, position etc. Some people do hybrid measurements with in-ear microphone and then combine the curves by using algorithms - I don't :). What is important for me there is to check that I don't induce big problems with mods, just to be sure (higher distortion, notches, ridges, etc).

About the topic of hearing - extended hearing range is one thing, but one needs ears trained in critical listening. The two sets can overlap fully or partially in many ways, of course the optimal is when the two overlap completely. Professional reviewers have that, and even they differ on personal judgement. So I don't take this argument very seriously, since anyway I need to check others' subjective experiences with my own. When I find people whose opinion matches mine in n cases, I will likely trust them more on the (n+1)th case. For the others, I need to sample those n cases, i.e. I need to check myself.

The music samples I shared were meant to indicate which type of music might have issues. I didn't expect to be commented on about the sound quality of the provided samples, completely sidetracking the discussion. I assumed everyone commenting here about this level of equipment is listening to at least CD quality material :).

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,416 of 3,156
And ps. @The Ringing Guy as a former drummer, hearing up to 20k, that's lovely. I might push over 18500 on a very good day, with low blood pressure, no stimulants e.g. caffeine, stress, sitting beside a palm tree on a beach with a completely silent ocean, after getting my ear canals cleaned by angels.

Have you never heard of h2o2? I use it to wash out my ears about every 2 weeks if I can, it's wonderful for cleaning out your ear canals, I use a 6% solution and let it bubble away for a few minutes whilst tilting my head. Your doctor might advise against the use of it simply because they can't make money out of it. Anyway it works for me and my family, ymmv.

And just a btw: the particular master/catalog number matters more on, and after 320 quality, than the actual sample rate/bit depth. WTS: http://dr.loudness-war.info/
Some releases just sound like ass.

The piano tracks I was referring to were presented here in a lower quality than 320kbps, and that's why i was asking, if you've ever listened to a track at 320kbps and then listen to it at a lower bitrate you should notice the difference in quality, that h2o2 might come in handy if you can't :laughing:

Personally I won't listen to tracks that are less than 320Kbps, unless they are not available, and even then not on a regular basis, it affects your enjoyment of music in the long term.

Imagine hearing those angels that clean out your ears singing to you, with their perfect melodic voices for hours on end. Now imagine those same angels being pushed out of the way by someone with a recording of Justin Bieber singing without auto-tune at a bitrate of 192kbps, and they tied you down for hours on end. It wouldn't be pretty. What I'm saying is Kbps matters, if you think it doesn't, listen to something recorded at 64kbps and then listen to it at 320kbps. I won't tell you how it sounds because I don't want you to have any preconceptions, just incase you haven't done this experiment before.

Nov 4, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #1,417 of 3,156
@The Ringing Guy Whoa Elizabeth, a little hostile there!

I actually use oil-based solutions for 'maintenance'
Jokes aside, I was merely impressed by your hearing, haven't met many drummers without some loss of hearing. And I've actually noticed my blood pressure having an effect on it.

And as i said, "on, and after 320", didn't mention lower bitrates :p

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #1,418 of 3,156
@The Ringing Guy Whoa Elizabeth, a little hostile there!

I actually use oil-based solutions for 'maintenance'
Jokes aside, I was merely impressed by your hearing, haven't met many drummers without some loss of hearing. And I've actually noticed my blood pressure having an effect on it.

And as i said, "on, and after 320", didn't mention lower bitrates :p

I'm honestly not being hostile towards you. Just explaining where I'm coming from with regards to the previous posts. I'm not a drummer in the traditional sense, I play bongos and djembe, do a little conga and tabla too but mostly play djembe, what can I say I like the bass.

Go easy on those simulants, they're no good for you, and don't do drugs, drugs are bad mkay :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 6, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #1,419 of 3,156
Now I only want it sold since its inferior to the Aeon anyway and I already have an Aeon.
Hey buddy, wanna sell me your defective broken ringing headphones?
1/3 the price sound fair?
After all, they are clearly bad ringing.
:)

Have you never heard of h2o2? I use it to wash out my ears about every 2 weeks if I can, it's wonderful for cleaning out your ear canals, I use a 6% solution and let it bubble away for a few minutes whilst tilting my head. Your doctor might advise against the use of it simply because they can't make money out of it. Anyway it works for me and my family, ymmv.
That is supposed to also be a fix for getting a cold as the virus supposedly build up in the ear somehow...

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,421 of 3,156
I finally just put my D7200 for sale, its on ebay now.
Someone PM'd me here about "fixing" the issuues with mods but I personally don't think its worth it.
I have the mrspeakers Aeon and I prefer its sound signature more.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #1,423 of 3,156
Which is funny because on measurements the Aeon rings far worse than the D7200 around 1K... but at least has less energy where you seem to be sensitive. Anyway it's good you've found a headphone you enjoy.
The Aeon rings all over the place, so perhaps there isn't anything which particularly sticks out. I listened to the ringing track from earlier in the thread on quite a few different headphones - LCD-2,3,X, Elear, Sennheiser HD 660 S, Elear, several Hifimans - and they all had a similar 'problem' to some extent. Only some Beyerdynamics sounded better on some piano tracks, but I've grown out of my Beyerdynamic phase and prefer less emphasised treble nowadays.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #1,424 of 3,156
Nov 20, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,425 of 3,156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back