Denon AH-7200
Nov 7, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #1,846 of 3,156
Yes, they fit perfectly fine.
I'm just getting used to mine.
I also had them for my K7XX and they are changing D7200 SQ in similar way as those.

I think I like them, especially with additional spacer underneath the pad (not the one sold by Dekoni)

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #1,847 of 3,156
Interestingly, I spoke to the guys at Audio Sanctuary in London and they mentioned that they probably wouldn't be getting any more 7200s in stock. Looking at other retailers like Peter Tyson, they seem to also be out, and have also increased their prices. What's going on? Are they discontinuing the 7200?

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,848 of 3,156
Got mine from AudioVisual Online 2 days ago. One cup had a blemish I wasn't happy with and they replaced them today. Can't say how many they have in stock but I got mine for £449 delivered which is an absolute steal...

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,849 of 3,156
Tried the Brainwavz round pleather pads that I had lying around and they are a no-go on this at least for me. Bass gets boomy and image is a bit weird.

Bought a pair of perforated xl ones from the Black friday deal so I'll probably test those too. The stock pads are ok comfort wise but I'll test some cheap alternatives for curiosity.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,851 of 3,156
image.jpeg

This is what I have been using for about 10 years. Takes some strain off the Jack socket of the DAP... It's great quality (Grado).

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,852 of 3,156
Has anyone had a chance to compare these to the Sony MDR-Z7M2?

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,853 of 3,156
This is what I have been using for about 10 years. Takes some strain off the Jack socket of the DAP... It's great quality (Grado).

Me too. And the Y-splitter version, too.

Has anyone had a chance to compare these to the Sony MDR-Z7M2?

Only from memory. They have different problems and both require mods to sound the best (google it to find the topics on other sites).
IMHO the Z7 is a belongs to a different "fun" class, together with the Z1R, HD820, TH900, which is really preferred by some people/genres and less so by others.
The D7200 (with mods), and especially the D9200 are more like "reference with musical tonality" - which gives everyone something but with specific genres it might cause feeling to want more.

I ended up to prefer the reference-type headphones, and I could (but don't) use good equalization for those genres that are EQ'd anyway :).
My "EQ" is actually to change pads: that affects the FR and sound character while staying clear and clean and focused (no "EQ smearing" - of course, if one has good enough EQ, it's all it's needed).

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,854 of 3,156
I'd definitely choose the D7200. Pads will make a big change on it, basically you can change the signature between linear, ideal and fun (V-shape) just by switching pads. Perfect.

The best stock pads IMHO are the D5200 pads (linear), followed by the D7200 pads (linear but overdamped and less musical), followed by Stax 009 pads (linear, big, lively, but more mids as well which may not be welcome by all).

The best overall pads are the modded D7200 pads (ideal), with the inner foam trimmed in thickness and inner diameter in order to have about 35-40% less foam inside the pads (D5200 pads need less trimming or no trimming at all). Instruments tone/pitch/harmonic structure is more natural. And there is the bass, as near to perfect as it can be from any headphones IMHO. The TH900 has more bass quantity, but extension and impact is similar.

The most fun signature is with Fostex TH900 pads but with carbon foam filling (see TH900 mods thread). Fantastic physical bass, more treble, big sound stage. However, the "ideal" pads go as deep, but with no perceived overshoot in the bass.

A balanced, big sound-stage, high resolution sound is achieved with the Stax 009 pads, especially if modded (see Stax 007/009 mods thread). These are the easiest pads to mod, but the most expensive (and highest quality).

Potentially very good replacement pads could be obtained from https://vesperaudio.com/earpads, albeit I have not tried them. Among the choices, probably the perforated leather pads should work best with the D7200.

I have tried the following:
- the Chinese TH900/D7200 pads from ebay, have 4 pairs, all sounded different, they are cheap, but perhaps it's better to pass, the above are better.
- Brainwavz hybrid, leather and perforated leather pads, the above are better for the D7200.
- Lawton pads, the above are better for the D7200.
- ZMF Eikon and Ori pads, the above are better for the D7200.
- MrSpeakers Voce pads, the above are better for the D7200.

After hearing what you said about the D5200 pads I decided to try and get a pair from the UK importer. They want £89.33, so I think I'll give them a miss. I'm a little reluctant to mod the stock pads, so I'll try some of the other options.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,855 of 3,156
After hearing what you said about the D5200 pads I decided to try and get a pair from the UK importer. They want £89.33, so I think I'll give them a miss. I'm a little reluctant to mod the stock pads, so I'll try some of the other options.

I'd say that's about what pads costs nowadays, but it's indeed too much for just trying things out. I understand you avoid destroying the stock pads. But I can't recommend better options for the moment than modding the original pads. Maybe some options are left with the Vesper Audio pads, but so far the D7200 didn't react so well to pad changes as the D9200 for instance (didn't experiment with the D5200 much).

If you don't hear midrange ringing with your D7200, just enjoy the sound. Or if you want better, buy the D9200.

Now that I've heard the D9200 and was so impressed, I am trying to get the D7200 the closest possible, which seems to be achievable. I had to touch the internal damping in the cups as well, by adding a very light Twaron Angelhair ring around the existing polyfill damping, that calmed the sound further down, while everything sounds more delineated and more clear. Together with the pads mod, it sounds fantastic. Will check against the D9200 again.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,856 of 3,156
Is Denon replacing these models? I've noticed that there are less and less places that have the 5200 and 7200 in stock. I've been doing a bunch of research on options for upgrading from my Audio Technica M50's that I've been using for the last 6 years and these seems like a great mix of improved sound (but similar traits), improved comfort, and improved sound stage. Given the cost, I'm having some indecision given that I mostly use headphones for gaming. But if Denon is discontinuing the models, I may have to speed up my decision.

Dec 3, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,857 of 3,156
Will check against the D9200 again
Hi, did you end up buying the 9200?

I am interested in FR to see if it has any dip around 8k to alleviate sibilance that I sometimes get with my 7200 unit.
It is not stock as stock ofcourse.

Tailoring the upper response has been a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,859 of 3,156
Dec 11, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #1,860 of 3,156
Aww.
It doesn't have any dip around 8k (sibilance area).
Thats where I was focusing on.

It's not sibilant at all, if that is what you meant. I will share some new measurements here, since I settled down with a new wool felt pad sample in the cups. The D7200 is so difficult to get right, there is a very narrow spot for it to sound right across being shouty or bassy or sibilant vs vibrant, lifelike, clean etc. For that reason alone one could decide to get the D9200, though it has slightly hot treble/sibilance area for my taste, so I am going as far as possible with the D7200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back