DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Sep 22, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #1,146 of 3,907
Hello @D2Girls, there is no firm date yet. But I'm positive that it will be released by end of this year :beyersmile:

Hey Alvin, will existing terminator users be able to get the dsd512 upgrade?

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,147 of 3,907
I'm wondering why there aren't really any reviews on this yet....
I own it and have listened to it for quite some time on studio monitors. I can give you a bit of a run down, unfortunately I can only compare it to my Focusrite, however I would like to think I have a good idea on how to describe the sound in retrospect to the kind of characteristics it offers. Would you be listening to a DAC like this on headphones or speakers?

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #1,148 of 3,907
I own it and have listened to it for quite some time on studio monitors. I can give you a bit of a run down, unfortunately I can only compare it to my Focusrite, however I would like to think I have a good idea on how to describe the sound in retrospect to the kind of characteristics it offers. Would you be listening to a DAC like this on headphones or speakers?

Primarily headphones and i'd appreciate your thoughts on the ares.

(Accompanying gear would be helpful also)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #1,150 of 3,907
@alvin1118 I am connecting the Ares directly from Windows. After installing the XMOS driver, Roon shows two different devices. a "XMOS USB Audio" device and a "XMOS USB audio 2.0 ST 2005" device. what are the differences? The 2.5 ST version isn't very stable, it get disconnected regularly. Is that expected?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,152 of 3,907
Any impressions ?

I will give you some impressions at the very least. Granted I am not been on head-fi much the past few months due to real life issues, but I don't want people to feel and or think that this DAC is not a fantastic find and a good value. I have used several 500$+ DACs over the past couple years, this is one of 3 that I have owned that exceeds that price. Yet, this is the one I still own and I have not tried to sell or replace it should speak volumes imo especially in this hobby where we are constantly searching for the best value and best performance of said headphone, amplifier, dac, and dap. I believe that this DAC is one of the best your going to get at a sub 800$ level from what have heard and researched. I directly compared it to the Hugo 2, which in all rights costs over 3 times the price of this DAC, and I was blown away from the sound coming from the Hugo 2. Though when I had to A/B, and yes the Hugo 2 definitely out performed as it should have, I was surprise that I still absolutely loved the Ares DAC and what is capable of doing for being a sub 100$ DAC.

It is very clean, balanced, and easy to listen to. No shrill highs, edgy presentations on the Ares from the amplifiers and headphones I have paired with this DAC, and that is something I definitely prefer. I have had several experiences where a clean sounding DAC produced treble that was just rigid and sharp in it's presentation, but with the Ares it tends to be neutral and perhaps a bit smooth(Like my NFB 28 is smooth where it doesn't lack details and range but is easy to listen to if you are sensitive to sharper treble). I would not say it an overly warm DAC but perhaps it is slightly north of neutral or flat, but coming from a very neutral DAC before I would like to point out that it doesn't sound too thick or congested. It is detailed yet doesn't focus on just that, having both great tone or timbre as well as body/weight with the notes, and that is something I really enjoy. It pairs very well with every amp I have used such as: Meier Conerto(tends to be thinner and more lean amp but detailed and airy), NFB 28 amp section( great balanced and detail as well tone), PanAm from ALO(very good pairing with the Vokshod tubes I had which brought forward treble and bass detail and emphasis), iBasso PB2( with 4 mono LME49710 installed, brought a very balanced, spacious, and clean sound from the iBasso), Massdrop Liquid Carbon X( current pairing that sounds very clean, balanced, and competent). There are other's that I have used as well but from over a year ago, and so my memory is less sharp with those details. So, what I am really trying to say is no matter which solid state, tube, or tube hybrid I have used, I have enjoyed whole heartedly with this DAC. I would say it is kind of like a jack of all trades, but if I was to pick one or two things that I really love about this DAC it would be the midrange presentation and the tonality.

I have compared this two the NFB 28 sabre DAC, which is also another very good DAC for the price, but I do feel like I have been happier overall listening to the Ares. It's presentation of my music helped me two stop obsessing with critical listening all the time and just really let the music wash over me in a sense. Now when I listen to music I find myself enjoying it even when I am trying A/B for a review or critically listen to give my impressions. I do not know if this will help and if it doesn't then I apologize it has been some time since I have given impressions on a DAC. Though I do feel if you are upgrading to a new DAC and want something that is detailed, balanced, reliable(as of the past year and half), possesses nice timbre or tone, and is under 800$ you could do much worse for a value than the Ares.

Dec 22, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,153 of 3,907
is this dac has any sort of error correction like FPGA based correction?

Most of the r2r dacs (denfrips pontus, audio-gd r2r 1, &etc) use that kind of error correction system, I think in audio-gd website & soekris website also mention that with the temperature and time, accuracy of the resisters will change and I'm bit worried if the sound signature will be changed after few years because of the lack of such error correction in Ares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back