1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by pitbul34, Jan 28, 2017.
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
80 81 82 83 84
Next

Last
  1. alvin1118
    My pleasure. To answer your questions:

1. DENAFRIPS uses long life capacitors, i.e. Elna, Nichicon, Mundort, etc. The typical lifespan is 10-15years, under the design condition where the designer takes into consideration of factors like operating voltage, current, ambient temperature.
    2. This is undisclosed. DENAFRIPS is keeping it close to the chest. Instead of emphasising on technical, the designer believes in marketing the product by its sound quality - where IMHO should be the focus of this hobby instead of chasing the number.

Hello @Triodemode ,

DENAFRIPS DACs are capable to play DSD256 via DoP over USB and I2S. Hope it helps!

Many thanks.

Best,
    Alvin @ Vinshine Audio

audiobean and Suppa92 like this.
  2. Suppa92
    @alvin1118
    Regarding second point, It's fine that Denafrips keeps that kind of technical secrets to themselves, but I'm just worried if the sound signature changes with the temperature when we running it for many hours and using it for years, just like in Tube amplifiers.
    Can we assure that ares can sound exactly the same when we use for long hours and after an year or two?

thank you.

3. cobrabucket
    Denafrips ARES can decode DSD natively over USB?

4. alvin1118
    DENAFRIPS DAC runs cold, a tad of slight warm if it's used in the environment at slightly higher ambient temperature, i.e. >32°C
    It's unlike triode vacuum tube, where it age as you use.

There are many DENAFRIPS users have been using the DAC for more than 2 years. They can speak better than me.
    A customer just text me via FB messenger told me that he bought an earlier version of the Ares with XMOS USB, his comment was "The first impression is great! I’m liking it very much so I maybe looking to upgrade soon!"

Hello @cobrabucket,

Yes, DENAFRIPS decode DSD, native.

Hope it helps!

Best,
    Alvin
    Vinshine Audio

audiobean likes this.
  5. jmpsmash
    Alvin, sometimes I get loud noise when trying to play DSD64/128 DSF files on my Terminator. How to fix that? I use Roon and have tried 3 different end points. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

6. Suppa92
    Thank for the info.

Can you share some infomation about new Artemis Headamp? and can we expect a budget friendly headamp in similar price range of ares?

7. cobrabucket
    How does this DAC do with Hi-Res files [24 bit and higher]?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  8. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Try searching its past amps to have glimpse of their philosophy. The budgeted HA-10 (they say it's comparable to Gilmore Lite Mk2) and the then top of the line HA-1Pro.

9. Suppa92
    I had no idea that they made headamps before.
    But they are not mentioned in their website, must be discontinued models now. Wish they make a budget headamp again.

10. alvin1118
    Artemis is the flagship headamp, a complete re-designed true balanced headphone amplifier.

Will there be entry/mid range headamps? We will see.

11. ReAlien
    Did anyone compare Ares to Soekris dac1321? They are pretty similar on the price level. On specs, it looks like Ares has much more precise resistors.

12. Suppa92
    I have the same question.
    I did some reading and in a different forum I saw the maker of soekris dac mentioned that the architecture they use in their dacs ( if I'm not mistaken he mentioned that Denafrips also using similar kind of architecture) doesn't require extremely high precision resistors to sound good. So I don't think difference of precision of resistors between 1321 and ares will matter that much but denafrips has balanced output and also they seem to have very different sound signature.

ReAlien likes this.
  13. alvin1118
    Yep, Ares has true balanced output, if that matters.

14. Wes S
    Hi there,

I am interested in the Ares, and would love to know, if it will work with my setup? I use an ipad, with ios12.2, powered usb hub and have a Schiit eitr, to connect to dac. Will the Ares work with ipad and do i still need the Eitr. I stream Tidal hifi. I want to use the Ares with my ipad and Liquid Platinum amp. Is this possible? Thanks for your time!

Wes

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  15. DarkMatter1
    I have read one member saying in a post that the 2Qute sounds better than the Ares. I feel the 2Qute is amazing with detail and resolution without sounding harsh.But it seems a little thin at times at low volumes.I would like slightly more weight/body,thickness and warmth without sacrificing detail.Maybe the Ares is what im looking for.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
First

Back
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
80 81 82 83 84
Next

Last