DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 10, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #391 of 3,909
Sean what are you upsampling to? Dsd256 or PCM 384. I have had good result with HQplayer. Tried HQP NAA. It was quite diferrent to running the dac connected to my main PC

PCM384 at the moment.  I'm running the DAC direct to a power amp which has a basic volume control, so I like to make small amounts of digital attenuation occasionally.  I didn't realise that this isn't possible with DSD

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #392 of 3,909

Thanks for the update! Do you have some other digital to compare the Ares to?
For the descriptions so far it seems that Ares belongs in the less forward, more musical, organic, relaxed an so called more analog like champ contrary to Oppo Sonica`s more upfront, extended, fast, pristine clarity and fine sharp details champ.
Owners of Ares please correct me if I`m wrong....
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I've chopped and changed my system a bit recently, so it would be difficult to make comparisons with my previous DACs (including Metrum Octave, Audio-gd Ref 5 and 7).

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #393 of 3,909

Thanks for the update! Do you have some other digital to compare the Ares to?
For the descriptions so far it seems that Ares belongs in the less forward, more musical, organic, relaxed an so called more analog like champ contrary to Oppo Sonica`s more upfront, extended, fast, pristine clarity and fine sharp details champ.
Owners of Ares please correct me if I`m wrong....
rolleyes.gif

Sorry, I have chopped and changed my system a lot recently, so am unable to make direct comparisons to previous DACs (Metrum Octave, Audio-gd Ref 5/7).

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #397 of 3,909
  Maybe, just like they picked up Holo, the Dutch guys at Magna will pick up Denafrips too...

No they won't, I did try to convince Jos from Magna Hifi, but he wasn't interested to expand their line with a DAC-Line since they already have Audio-GD and Holo.
Btw, Holo has 3 years of warranty, which in my opinion, for Asia audio goods, is exceptional and VERY welcomed by many dealers.

I'm very confident if Frenadips, eh, Denafrips, would change their name in a more "conventional" one, and would change their warranty policy to 3-years,
they would have much more potentially interested customers, including myself.

I'm not going to invest in a Terminator which maybe will terminate itself after 2 1/2 years of heavy usage, even if it would be the best sounding dac available below 10K.

Just my 2 cents...

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #398 of 3,909
No they won't, I did try to convince Jos from Magna Hifi, but he wasn't interested to expand their line with a DAC-Line since they already have Audio-GD and Holo.
Btw, Holo has 3 years of warranty, which in my opinion, for Asia audio goods, is exceptional and VERY welcomed by many dealers.

I'm very confident if Frenadips, eh, Denafrips, would change their name in a more "conventional" one, and would change their warranty policy to 3-years,

I'm not going to invest in a Terminator which maybe will terminate itself after 2 1/2 years of heavy usage, even if it would be the best sounding dac available below 10K.

Just my 2 cents...

When I first inquired about Holo Spring from an HK supplier, their warranty was only for one year but I negotiated for 3 years. Same with the ARES, initially I was offered a one year warranty which was extended to 3 yrs upon discussion. I guess what I am trying to say is, there may be chance to discuss with the dealer if you think 1 year warranty is not enough.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #399 of 3,909
Originally Posted by abartels /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Absolutely agree and I also recommend a new name: Denta Frip
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #400 of 3,909
And also the Big-Big question, how does the Ares compare to the Mighty Yggy???

p.s.  why are some of you guys obsessed with upsampling (and DSD) - do you think it improves the sound on the Ares? 

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #401 of 3,909
And also the Big-Big question, how does the Ares compare to the Mighty Yggy???

p.s.  why are some of you guys obsessed with upsampling (and DSD) - do you think it improves the sound on the Ares? 

Maybe it has a meaner buritoes:grinning:

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #402 of 3,909
Yessh 3 years free of mind warranty...

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/forum/denafrips/read-me

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #403 of 3,909

Yep, Alvin just notified me about it as well. Good quick response from Vinshine!

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #404 of 3,909

We ask, we get 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back