No, more like this?
blink.gif

200x200px-ZC-d1d0f5ca_pretty_girls_10.jpeg

I suppose the right one is Venus? 
biggrin.gif
 NOW I want one 
wink_face.gif

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #422 of 3,909
And also the Big-Big question, how does the Ares compare to the Mighty Yggy???

p.s.  why are some of you guys obsessed with upsampling (and DSD) - do you think it improves the sound on the Ares? 

This hobby is a result of one's obsession. It depends on the equipment chain and the final receiving thing called the ear. There is theory & measurement and there is sound. Depending on which camp one is it all boils down to what the individual likes.

My suggestion to you is don't worry about other's obsession and do what sounds good to you.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #424 of 3,909
Does anyone have news about incoming Tomahawk? It seems that it will be a whole machine instead of 2 separate ones, which is different from 8 pro stack. I am not sure if they update anything in Tomahawk from 8 pro.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #425 of 3,909
Bearwarrior,

Instead of Tomahawk I would focus on Venus. My suggestion is only based by their spec because there is no owner feedback of either currently.
Tomahawk has basically same spec as Ares nothing much more. But by spec Venus is a nice step above: native PCM & DSD decoding with 0.005% precision resistors, Amanero USB Interface and 26BIT  R2R +  6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters).

Just my 2c

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #426 of 3,909
  Bearwarrior,

Instead of Tomahawk I would focus on Venus. My suggestion is only based by their spec because there is no owner feedback of either currently.
Tomahawk has basically same spec as Ares nothing much more. But by spec Venus is a nice step above: native PCM & DSD decoding with 0.005% precision resistors, Amanero USB Interface and 26BIT  R2R +  6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters).

Just my 2c

Thanks for the explanation. So Tomahawk has nothing related to 8pro?

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #427 of 3,909
Bearwarrior,

I suppose that they are pretty much the same.
PitBul has ordered the DAC 8 but having already ARES he gave DAC8 to brother.....
eek.gif

Yep, he stated that it is better but based in my experience I can tell that if you want a clear step up then I suggest to save for Venus. These are just my presumptions based on spec. We have nothing more at the moment.

VENUS Isn't she beautiful?

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #429 of 3,909
  ........I must confess, I actually bit the bullet and ordered ARES myself.
evil_smiley.gif

I have to confess.... VENUS is just over my budget. I would probably order Yggy if I have the money. The reason that I am hesitated to choose a DAC is that I cannot compare the DACs I am interested. 

Gumby, Ares, Holo Spring level 1 are the DACs I am considering. Don't know the performance ranking.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #430 of 3,909

I have to confess.... VENUS is just over my budget. I would probably order Yggy if I have the money. The reason that I am hesitated to choose a DAC is that I cannot compare the DACs I am interested. 

Gumby, Ares, Holo Spring level 1 are the DACs I am considering. Don't know the performance ranking.

Don't be afraid to buy without comparing. After all, how many of us can actually compare DACs before buying? We usually (at least I do) go by trusted others impressions on the forum, and there's usually a return option as well when buying new. I never realized how important the DAC is in a chain until I went in small increments throughout the years and ended up with the Holo Spring 3 "KTE". Best piece of upstream audio I've ever added to my chain, period!

I'm not here trying to compare DACs in any way, just saying go for the one that best suits your budget/needs, and don't be afraid to buy blind.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #431 of 3,909
I agree with with Joseph.
Sorry this is a bit out of topic, but I feel that it must be said.
redface.gif

Not all of us live in London, L.A. or NY. so a listening sessions before purchase are limited for most of us. Therefore the worst and most common mistake that vast majority makes is purchasing gear only based on mainstream magazine reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back