DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #182 of 3,901
> Seeing a recorded video that's been compressed and uploaded to Youtube doesn't really give much of an idea regarding sound comparisons as it's going through a camera microphone.

So, why you still here? :)

> I personally feel a text description on sound comparing two or more units is more appreciated than a video that sounds nothing like the actual sound produced.

Text description of sound is not objective, imo

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #183 of 3,901
I'm not anymore. Chao.

Thank you for posting your "impressions".

Or was it just a video of you listening to your gear as always? I'm not sure we understand the same vocabulary nor do I believe you know how sound works at this point given your videos and blank statements.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #185 of 3,901
Thought I'd post my comments. Take them for what they are, my thoughts.

Firstly- the Denafrips Ares is my very first external Dac. In the past I've relied on the internal dacs of my CD players to play my music. Apart from my vinyl rig which is my favourite format and has been for quite a few years. I'm also now getting more and more into head-fi, and wanted a dedicated Dac to be able to play all the ripped CD's and downloads from my Hard Drive via my laptop, running into my Bakoon Headphone amp. Hence a DAC purchase. 
wink.gif

Anyway......... I purchased my Ares from Vinshine Audio in Singapore ($598 US), and all my dealings have been with Alvin Chee. The customer service has been fantastic from Alvin and I really think he went the extra yards to help out. 

The Dac arrived yesterday after ordering last weekend, and being the computer luddite I am, it took a while to get it up and running. At the minute I have been just using an AchtungAudio USB cable directly connecting it to my laptop. The Denafrips Ares connects directly into my Red Wine Audio 70.2 Signature mono block amps. I use no pre amp, and speakers are Jamo Concert 8 stand mounts.

I am awaiting a USB Regen to arrive so I can put that in the chain along with my Curious Regen - Link cable. I also purchased a Jay's Audio LPS25VA  LPS from Vinshine Audio and I should get it later next week.

Alvin from Vinshine remotely accessed my computer today to check my JRiver settings. I had the Ares playing for a short while yesterday, but when I disconnected it, and re-connected at a later time, I couldn't get it working. Alvin set it all up and it's working great at the minute.
I can't praise his efforts enough, if you're thinking of buying this unit from Vinshine, IMO you'd be hard pressed to get better customer service.

I have only had a short time playing files, but am mightily impressed. The files through the Ares sound at least the equal of my 2 CD players (Rega Apollo and E.Sound E.5 European Edition. Back to more music, here are a couple of pics. Can't wait to see whether the inclusion of the USB Regen, LPS, and Curious Regen Link cable improves it even more.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #186 of 3,901
@soundfanz

Good to know that you had it working. How to you compare the sound with your CD rig and Vinyl rig?

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #187 of 3,901
@soundfanz

Good to know that you had it working. How to you compare the sound with your CD rig and Vinyl rig?

It's early days yet, I have been playing a few files from CD rips to HD, and accessed through JRiver. I'll need more time to compare playing a disc, and a file through Ares, but results have been excellent so far with the Denafrips.
Vinyl is the best sounding format to me at the moment, but I have put a few bucks into my vinyl rig...and think it should sound good. :)
That said...I'm loving this Dac and need more time to see what it can do.

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #189 of 3,901
Im cheap so i like it too:grinning:

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #190 of 3,901
My ARES arrived but I am not home ATM. Will connect it to my system later.

Feb 25, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #194 of 3,901

Users who are viewing this thread

Back