1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by pitbul34, Jan 28, 2017.
First

Back
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next

Last
  1. alota
    No.doubt but the vat plus custom is around 35-40%

2. lukeap69
    Wow, you are paying a lot guys. I have the ARES continuously running for 2 days now. It sounds very good but not ready to dethrone my Holo Spring yet. :grinning:

3. rudra
    @lukeap69 you need the terminator to dethrone to the Holo [​IMG] 

is there a lot of difference between the ARES and Holo? In you opinion how much is the holo  (% wise ) better than Ares with the usual caveat of IMO, IMHO, YMMV etc[​IMG] 

4. lukeap69
    LOL. The Terminator will terminate my bank account! [​IMG]

I haven't heard the ARES and the Spring side by side as I am waiting for a set of XLR interconnects so any comparison will only based on memory. However, I do not believe in percent difference. I was surprised how prominent the bass of the ARES compared to the Spring. It just tell you it's there so I feel the ARES presentation is more effortless. In most songs I have played the bass is very good with the ARES but I didn't like it with Roxy Music Avalon album. I thought the ARES did not do a good job with that album. With the female voices, ARES seems to be doing a good job but I still prefer the midrange of the Spring. I have not felt very emotionally involved with the ARES yet whilst listening to my favourite songs like I felt with the Spring. Yes, this is personal and subjective but this is the reason why I listen to music.

ARES is improving though or my brain is adjusting and I would not hesitate to recommend ARES to anybody. It is a very good DAC and the improvement of the more expensive DACs will not be very high if you factor in the price. THE ARES DAC IS A VERY GOOD VALUE DAC. Period (Full stop for our British friends!) [​IMG]

So far my listening is with my LS50>Ragnarok>DAC>Soundaware D100 Pro. I have yet to move it to my headphone rig but that will be after a week or so.

Early days and my feeling about ARES may change. And of course, IMO, IMHO, YMMV. [​IMG] 

5. hyperdanny

This is what I am talking about: in this country (Italy) you get charged first of all 22% IVA (means VAT) then tariffs, then an "estimated" further tax based on the supposed price of the shipping (and of course the theoretical shipping fees they use as a basis, based on distance and weight, are the highest possible).
    The last time I bought from China, for a 100$ cable I paid 45$ on top..so maybe now you understand better why having the possibility of buying from a European retailer is a huge bonus..
    Whatever price increase the importer might apply, it's going to be better anyway.

6. rudra
    @lukeap69 your feedback is much appreciated [​IMG]. I concur the terminator will terminate my bank balance and my marriage[​IMG]

7. lukeap69

Terminator has a lot to prove if it is worth buying it considering the very good value of the ARES. If the improvement is not significant, then the TERMINATOR can terminate itself. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

8. PitBul34
    > LOL. The Terminator will terminate my bank account! [​IMG]

Ares is the first step of the Denafrips product line now. Next steps are Tomahawk (former DAC-8PRO2 R2R - review), Venus (former DAC-1PRO R2R) and Terminator (top of the line). 

9. rudra
    I hope they include a usb input on the tomahawk

10. alvin1118

Yes sir. Tomahawk, Venus, and Terminator come with Amanero I2S USB Module. 

11. lukeap69

I am starting to get scared with the names of these DACs. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

12. slex
    Lukeap69. May i know what connection you using? USB Coax or Optical?

13. lukeap69

Coax.

14. gunwale
    do you have tomahawk at vinshine?

15. slex
    Ok . i thought you using USB with very high resolution input source files comparing to Holo.

This sound good enough:grinning:

First

Back
5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next

Last