DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 16, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #496 of 3,907
Check this out folks:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840079/fs-denafrips-ares-r2r-ladder-dac-ships-from-usa

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #497 of 3,907
Mar 16, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #498 of 3,907
I got a feeling you going for Terminator:grinning:

... or maybe for a Holo Spring Level 3. I don't know. Sounded pretty good in our local meet up last Sunday.

I can't do anything though before I sell the Ares. Can't have the funds tied up.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #500 of 3,907
 I used Singxer SU-1 to coax-spdif input on Ares and Holo, Aes/Ebu on ML and i2s on Gustard.

Claudio did you try USB input on Ares? What did that sound like compared to Singxer SU-1.

The Singxer SU-1 gets good reviews with the Holo using I2s HDMI. The Ares does not have I2s HDMI and see you used coax input. I thought the main advantage of using the Singxer SU-1 was to use the I2s input over the USB input on the DAC.

Although you can use devices before USB like the Intona.

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #501 of 3,907
Claudio did you try USB input on Ares? What did that sound like compared to Singxer SU-1.

The Singxer SU-1 gets good reviews with the Holo using I2s HDMI. The Ares does not have I2s HDMI and see you used coax input. I thought the main advantage of using the Singxer SU-1 was to use the I2s input over the USB input on the DAC.

Although you can use devices before USB like the Intona.

Hi Robert,
I used the Singxer SU-1 because it gives me the opportunity to connect dacs simultaneously.
With usb input Ares stand alone and Singxer plus Ares sound identical.

Mar 17, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #503 of 3,907

I got a feeling you going for Terminator:grinning:

... or maybe for a Holo Spring Level 3. I don't know. Sounded pretty good in our local meet up last Sunday.

I can't do anything though before I sell the Ares. Can't have the funds tied up.

Why would you go for Holo Spring Level3 when a not completely burned-in Ares already sounds better than a Holo Spring Level1?
Level3 definitely will sound better than a Level1, but those differences aren't day and night.....

Better invest in Venus or Terminator

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #504 of 3,907

How long have you had yours and how many hours burn-in have you given it?

I know one guy on here has the spring 3 and Ares and he seems to like them both equally in their own way.

What do you not like about your Ares and could you improve your system in some other way?

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #505 of 3,907
I am probably in the minority here but I cannot find Ares to be better than Spring DAC. I have been playing them side by side for 3 days now. Ares is close but not better IMO. BTW, I am not using PC as transport. Again IMO & YMMV.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #506 of 3,907
I am probably in the minority here but I cannot find Ares to be better than Spring DAC. I have been playing them side by side for 3 days now. Ares is close but not better IMO. BTW, I am not using PC as transport. Again IMO & YMMV.

Hi ARNOLD,

Is Ares new? I mean, it has now 3x24 hours of playing time?
Is Holo Spring new too? 3x24 hours of playing time?

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:34 AM Post #507 of 3,907

Thanks Arnold, when you get the time perhaps you might mention to us how they differ in signature? 

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #508 of 3,907
Ares had been continuously ON for almost 3 weeks now, Spring since November or December last year.

IMO the Spring is more resolving and and has better (sweeter?) tone. Spring extends both in the highs and lows. The sound seems more cohesive than Ares although I can understand how others may prefer the more obvious 'focussed' sound in the Ares e.g. the bass seems more 'rounded' which works for some songs and not for others. The bass of Spring does not appear to come from a specific spot but an area whilst the Ares seems to provide a tighter bass. In many songs I like the bass presentation of the Ares, in some songs with already have tighter bass sound, not so much. It can sound like the bottom end comes from a small speaker in comparison to the Spring. The highs of the Spring seems to be smoother but slighly more extended. It can get a bit sibilant with some songs though but only ever so slightly. I find the Spring to have a wider soundstage but a bit shallower compared to the Ares.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like the Ares very much and I am keeping it but my Spring is not going anywhere. Perhaps the Ares will replace my DAC-19 in my bedroom headphone rig. Not sure yet until I have done a side by side comparison.

Okay same caveat applies, all IMO and YMMV.

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #509 of 3,907
Ares had been continuously ON for almost 3 weeks now, Spring since November or December last year.

IMO the Spring is more resolving and and has better (sweeter?) tone. Spring extends both in the highs and lows. The sound seems more cohesive than Ares although I can understand how others may prefer the more obvious 'focussed' sound in the Ares e.g. the bass seems more 'rounded' which works for some songs and not for others. The bass of Spring does not appear to come from a specific spot but an area whilst the Ares seems to provide a tighter bass. In many songs I like the bass presentation of the Ares, in some songs with already have tighter bass sound, not so much. It can sound like the bottom end comes from a small speaker in comparison to the Spring. The highs of the Spring seems to be smoother but slighly more extended. It can get a bit sibilant with some songs though but only ever so slightly. I find the Spring to have a wider soundstage but a bit shallower compared to the Ares.

Don't get me wrong guys, I like the Ares very much and I am keeping it but my Spring is not going anywhere. Perhaps the Ares will replace my DAC-19 in my bedroom headphone rig. Not sure yet until I have done a side by side comparison.

Okay same caveat applies, all IMO and YMMV.

Hi Arnold,

Ok, it's clear to me now. For now it seems choosing between Ares and Spring Level1 is more a matter of taste, they are sort of on the same level. Only thing is that Ares is on one third of pricelevel of Holo Spring Level1.....
Venus probably will be a whole different story, which is about same price as Holo Spring Level3.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #510 of 3,907
Oh if you talk about value for money, Ares for me is the clear winner. Hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back