DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 15, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #482 of 3,907
  The Denafrips dacs seem to be very well made, but do you know, if Denafrips will enventually add an ethernet input in the future ?

Abartels is right. It wold be quite different animal then. Streamer/network-player with same quality dac as Ares will be much more costly. The best ones currently available from Lumin, Aurender, Linn Klimax DS etc.

deadhorse.gif
..... and The King of Them All is the mighty Burmester 111

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #483 of 3,907
The ares works with android devices via otg? Thank you

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #484 of 3,907
That is not a feature you're talking about, that is a completely different device, functionality and design. DAC vs Networkplayer.

Yes, you're right, but i think or i hope, that in the future both functions (dac and streamer) will be merged as in the past for the CD player (dac and transport). That's another debate, but it will be nice if Denafrips will take this route.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #486 of 3,907
  Sounds great, but what kind of soundstage does it feel though, the "standing in the middle of the music" or the "sitting a few rows back" kind of soundstage ? I wonder

I think that is really a combination of all your equipment and if using speakers then the speakers and room also play a big part in this.

Yes, you're right, but i think or i hope, that in the future both functions (dac and streamer) will be merged as in the past for the CD player (dac and transport). That's another debate, but it will be nice if Denafrips will take this route.

It is early stages with streamers and can be quite complicated to get right or working well. It seams even Oppo might be having some teathing problems with their latest device.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #489 of 3,907
Why all these posts wanting comparisons between Dacs?  This thread is full of them.

Let the owners post their thoughts at their own leisure, and if they include comparisons between different dac's, all the better. 

Or do what I did. Read a few good reports on the Ares.....and went and purchased one. 
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #490 of 3,907
  Why all these posts wanting comparisons between Dacs?  This thread is full of them.

Let the owners post their thoughts at their own leisure, and if they include comparisons between different dac's, all the better. 

Or do what I did. Read a few good reports on the Ares.....and went and purchased one. 
tongue.gif

Comparison is the real value. Someone may say "it's the best I ever heard". So what this mean? Is the best for him the best for you?

If you compare to some known stuff we know what you talking about..and where is reference point...

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #491 of 3,907
The comparison between Ares and Levinson might seem to learn, there are many differences between the two, first of all the price. Levinson had cost about $ 4,500 in 2000 year, the price of the Ares is only $ 598, so it seems the battle between a giant and a dwarf. I will not analyze the technical specs of the two, just search the net and find everything you want to know, instead I want to focus only on listening. The music that I listened ranging from jazz to classical also through rock in order to have a vision as complete as possible to the sound of the two dac.
I started with Ares, the first thing I noticed was the way in which it returns the sound message, very smooth without any frequency which predominates over the other, never tiring but in the meantime, very detailed, very nuanced than with other dac (eg Gustard X20) they can not see. The soundstage is very good, deep and proportionate in three dimensions,
slightly set back quite rightly as it should be. The acoustic instruments are returned each with the correct timbre, the violin plays violin, nervous, high-pitched almost scratchy as in reality, the bass is deep and very controlled, the piano is played with the right dynamic, in short, everything seems to be in the right place . Even the wind instruments are returned in their entirety, harmonically very rich. Middle notes, joy and pain of the cheapest dac, are the highlight of the Ares, very balanced, the voices are very nice and with the right focus.
To conclude this brief review I can only say that the Ares is an excellent dac, very well built like a tank, with an unbeatable value for money.
If you really want to find a flaw, I would recommend the manufacturer to make the written and the LEDs on the front most visible, it is just a tip of an aesthetic nature that takes nothing away from the excellent sound performance of this dac.
Turning to Levinson can only say that, to my surprise, that sounds very very similar to the Ares, perhaps with a hint of greater soundstage, but it's nuances, little details that you can see if you have a very revealing system like mine. I did not think precisely that Ares could compete with a giant like Mark Levinson, however that's it, more I listen to them and more I am convinced of what I wrote.
During the plays I also made a comparison with another my dac, Gustard X20U and with a dac of a friend of mine, Holo Spring level one, very similar technology as well since it is a R2R ladder dac. Well, the Gustard, unfortunately for me, is less on each parameter to Ares, impractical comparison.
Holo instead plays very well, especially in nos mode, but Ares is better, slightly, but better in the acoustic scene, it is more refined and even more detailed. The high frequencies are more airy with Ares while Holo they are a little more sparkling, bass frequency with both are very deep and controlled, on voices Ares win again on points, with Holo you hear a hint of sibilance that instead there aren't with Ares. In the end I can say that both are two excellent dac, if there wasn't Ares I definitely bought a Holo Spring, but Ares exists.
Ares has on his side which costs about one-third of Holo Spring, Ares sounds a little better, so the choice for those who want to buy a R2R dac without spending a fortune seems to be required.
In the coming days, being able to continue my plays, I will continue to write on the Ares sound that every hour that passes always surprises me more.
Brava Denafrips, you made the center.

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #492 of 3,907
Well done @krell1967 
bigsmile_face.gif

That's the kind of review I like!
Can you tell us how many hours Ares is playing, in total, right now?
Did it pass 150 hours yet? If not, it definitely will gain
wink_face.gif

Oh, and, I suppose you used Coax-Spdif input? Or USB?

Keep on the good work!

Regards,
Alex

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #494 of 3,907
Well done @krell1967
 :bigsmile_face:

Did it pass 150 hours yet? If not, it definitely will gain:wink_face:

Keep on the good work!

Regards,
Alex

Ares is playing about 50/60 hours.
I used Singxer SU-1 to coax-spdif input on Ares and Holo, Aes/Ebu on ML and i2s on Gustard.

Mar 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #495 of 3,907

Well done @krell1967

bigsmile_face.gif

Did it pass 150 hours yet? If not, it definitely will gain:wink_face:

Keep on the good work!

Regards,
Alex

Ares is playing about 50/60 hours.
I used Singxer SU-1 to coax-spdif input on Ares and Holo, Aes/Ebu on ML and i2s on Gustard.

Hi Claudio,

Wow, if Ares after only 50-60 hours of burn-in already sounds a bit better than Holo Spring Level1, then I can't imagine where it will end!
All those caps in powerstage alone need a long burn-in time. Outputstage either, hope you still have the possibility after 150 to 200 hours to compare with Holo Spring!

Thanks for this great review, can't wait for the coming ones from you 
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheers Claudio 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back