DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 17, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #527 of 3,909
  Or maybe someone has had some impressions between Ares and Black Dragon? The price difference between Black Dragon and Ares is of course more than double.. I'm aware these are completely different dacs technically. Choices, choices..

Black Dragon sound comparable with Auralic Vega if this can help you. Both very nice DACs

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #528 of 3,909
  No, Singxer improves the performance of your dac if that makes not good input, in the case of Ares and Singxer the usb inputs are identical (Xmos U208).

Krell1968,

Can you please specify what you mean by "if that makes not good input"? Are you telling that Ares has some inputs that can be improved if the data/signal is sent via Singxer?
Basically I want to connect my smart TV via optical and my CD player via coax or optical to Ares.

As far I know Ares does not re-clock the incoming data and TV output (as laptop USB output also) is full of horrible jitter....... 

Does the Singxer re-clock or what it actually does?

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #530 of 3,909

I highly suggest you purchase a R2R dac.  Why not spend a few hundred $$ and purchase either a Soekris DAC1101, Denafrips Ares, or Audio GD Singularity 19? You'll probably be surprised like me that the R2R makes a huge difference in a good way.

Thanks very much, I might in the end purchase Ares and compare that to a loaner Dragon?? Will see.

Regards

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #533 of 3,909

So if the simultaneous inputs are not needed then sound-wise Singxer SU-1 does not add anyrhing?

I think the Singer & the Ares use the same XMOS chip, but advantage of the Singer would be if you wanted to connect the Ares via I2S or some other connector than USB.

Mar 17, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #536 of 3,909
  Ares doesn't have IIS

Point taken. I am considering using Singxer SU-1 IIS with a different DAC that does. Narrowing options to a short list currently including Gustard A20H or Matrix X-Sabre Pro, but still researching other options including the Ares.

Mar 17, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #537 of 3,909
Why would you go for Holo Spring Level3 when a not completely burned-in Ares already sounds better than a Holo Spring Level1?
Level3 definitely will sound better than a Level1, but those differences aren't day and night.....

Better invest in Venus or Terminator

Guys:

Please don't take this wrong. I liked Ares. It was more of a test for R2R technology. Now that I know what it is, and how it sounds, ready to take the plunge, and get the higher end R2R DAC , what I really wanted all along.

BTW, Ares is sold. Today.

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #538 of 3,909
Guys:

Please don't take this wrong. I liked Ares. It was more of a test for R2R technology. Now that I know what it is, and how it sounds, ready to take the plunge, and get the higher end R2R DAC , what I really wanted all along.

BTW, Ares is sold. Today.

All the best. Keep us posted if you end up buying the terminator

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #539 of 3,909
  Yes, the Singxer is a re-clocker.
(HERE) is the description..

Joseph69, Kudos for the link!

It seems that Singxer has only USB input.
As Singxer USB XMOS chip is same as in ARES it makes no sense to use it. At least in my case. My TV has only optical and headphone output. The USB-s on TV are probably only inputs. Another possibility is to use TV-s HDMI for digital audio output and convert it to USB to use and re-clock with Ares XMOS.

Anyone know some HDMI to USB cable/converter for audio purpose?

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #540 of 3,909

- Denafrips dac-68
- Holo Spring (from Wildism Audio HK, Jensen Caps + Silver Transformer)

Impressions coming soon
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back