DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 18, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #541 of 3,907

- Denafrips dac-68
- Holo Spring (from Wildism Audio HK, Jensen Caps + Silver Transformer)
Impressions coming soon
L3000.gif

Nice pics. I knew the Denafrips was smaller but nice to see them side by side.

Mar 18, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #542 of 3,907
Yes, the Denafrips is around half the size of the spring.

The Spring feels at least 4 times heavier...
confused_face.gif

I didn't weight the Denafrips, but the Spring is almost 10Kg
eek.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #544 of 3,907
I try to describe the differences between the Yulong D200, Mojo and Ares.

The comparison was done on a iMac with Audiophonics USB Link on DAC, then to a Abletec ALC0230 Amp and to coaxial DIY speakers (nothing fancy but good quality).

Yulong: has no depth in the soundstage and seems to be very upfront, the representation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is detailed but harsh -> fatiguing. Bass is detailed but not structured.

Mojo: Good depth in the soundstage and seems to be slightly farer away than the Yulong, very musical and seems slightly rolled off. The presentation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is very detailed but still a bit harsh. Bass is detailed a well structured.

Ares: Has a lot of depth in the soundstage and seems 1-2m farer away than the Mojo, the representation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is detailed and very natural -> No fatigue at all. Bass is very detailed and well structured.

I had problems to explain my wife that this DAC should leave the room for the main system :wink:

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #545 of 3,907
I try to describe the differences between the Yulong D200, Mojo and Ares.

The comparison was done on a iMac with Audiophonics USB Link on DAC, then to a Abletec ALC0230 Amp and to coaxial DIY speakers (nothing fancy but good quality).

Yulong: has no depth in the soundstage and seems to be very upfront, the representation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is detailed but harsh -> fatiguing. Bass is detailed but not structured.

Mojo: Good depth in the soundstage and seems to be slightly farer away than the Yulong, very musical and seems slightly rolled off. The presentation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is very detailed but still a bit harsh. Bass is detailed a well structured.

Ares: Has a lot of depth in the soundstage and seems 1-2m farer away than the Mojo, the representation of metallic instruments (percussion etc.) is detailed and very natural -> No fatigue at all. Bass is very detailed and well structured.

I had problems to explain my wife that this DAC should leave the room for the main system :wink:

i heard mojo before it is a little harsh. good to know that ares is less harsh compared to mojo. is ares as musical as mojo?

Mar 18, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #547 of 3,907
Quote:
  As I understand the Spring is LEVEL 3 ?
confused_face(1).gif

Level 3 (also known as the KTE/Kitsune Tuned Edition) is a "Model Name", or an "exclusive model" if you like, referring to a modified version of the Holo Spring that is sold by Kitsune Hifi.

Kitsune Hifi, as I understand, is the official distributor of the Holo Spring in the US.

I got my Spring from Wildism Audio HK, which is the official distributor of the Holo Spring in HK.
They also offer modified versions, but do not give them a special name.

The one I got has the Jensen Caps and a Silver Transformer. They also offer an extra modification in the form of a isolation transformer for the coax input which I did not get.

As far as I know, the main (tangible) differences between the one I have and the KTE edition are the soldered silver internal wiring and and the special fuse that they use.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #548 of 3,907
Wildism Audio HK calls it Stage 3

HOLO Audio – Spring R2R DAC – Stage 3 “Jensen Cap + 4N 99.99% Pure Silver Transformer Ver."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holo Audio – Spring DAC – LEVEL 3 “Kitsune Tuned Edition” (Green Label “99.99% Silver” O-Type transformer)

This model is the fully loaded version with Silver transformer upgrade and Jensen Cap upgrades.

As the modifications are pretty much the same despite internal wiring and fuse I suppose they sound pretty much the same. May I ask, what was the price for Wildism Audio Holo Stage 3?

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #549 of 3,907
That's level 3. KTE is level 3 plus some further mods such as silver wirings, fuse etc.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #552 of 3,907
  Wildism Audio HK calls it Stage 3

HOLO Audio – Spring R2R DAC – Stage 3 “Jensen Cap + 4N 99.99% Pure Silver Transformer Ver."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holo Audio – Spring DAC – LEVEL 3 “Kitsune Tuned Edition” (Green Label “99.99% Silver” O-Type transformer)

This model is the fully loaded version with Silver transformer upgrade and Jensen Cap upgrades.

As the modifications are pretty much the same despite internal wiring and fuse I suppose they sound pretty much the same. May I ask, what was the price for Wildism Audio Holo Stage 3?

I got my Spring almost 10 months ago (when it first came out). Pricing would have changed by now.
It's probably best to contact them directly
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #554 of 3,907
Hmm, at that price I might have to jump for it!

Do you know if Audio Broker ships to the US?

Would assume so since they gave the price in USD.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #555 of 3,907
Hmm, at that price I might have to jump for it!

Do you know if Audio Broker ships to the US?

Only Vinshine is authorized to sell to US. If you buy it from somewhere else, you risk not having any warranty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back