Dekoni Audio Blue Review: Official Fostex T50-RP headphones
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #16 of 47
I just discovered these things exist, and Dekoni make the best earpads I've ever used. Is anyone in a position to compare the Blue with other Fostex mods like Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes? Those are my favorite non-electrostatic headphones.

I also listen to EDM/hip hop, but I can't tell whether I would agree with the @GenEricOne (generic one? Generi-cone? Lol) impressions or not, despite his awesome job giving concrete examples. I tend to *like* the mechanical hz counting thing he doesn't, but the head by the subwoofer thing could go either way.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #17 of 47
Very interested to see what Fostex/Dekoni did on the inside of these cans, I heard they modified the baffle plate?

May 15, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #18 of 47
I posted this in the new Dekoni thread today so ill repost it here for visibility:

Have a set on my desk right now. Extremely comfortable and clamping is fairly light (yay glasses). I only wish it had a more shorter cable terminated in 3.5mm. It comes with a "studio length" cable in 1/4". Fostex sells official cables that use the same latch that are for portable usage though so I'll be picking up one of those.

I enjoyed them a lot more than the T50RP MK3s. Fuller sound with a much needed bass bump (at the cost of some losses in the mids) and a warmer signature with a decrease in mid to upper mid brightness allowing for longer listening sessions.

The full actual review will be out on Headphone.Guru.

P.S: You'll probably fall asleep with these on and wake up with hair divided like the Mariana Trench. :floatsmile: Not like I know from experience or anything......

May 15, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #19 of 47
Very interested to see what Fostex/Dekoni did on the inside of these cans, I heard they modified the baffle plate?

They did some internal modifications and also utilized their custom pads to direct and modify the sound a bit.

Tal (Dekoni founder) explained to me that they surround the planar driver and cover up certain parts to modify the sound. A quick look and you'll notice that the outer edge of the driver is almost all covered by the pads and they are tunneled to direct the sound and have thickness parameters which help in adding bass.

May 15, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #20 of 47
I just discovered these things exist, and Dekoni make the best earpads I've ever used. Is anyone in a position to compare the Blue with other Fostex mods like Mr. Speakers Alpha Primes? Those are my favorite non-electrostatic headphones.

I also listen to EDM/hip hop, but I can't tell whether I would agree with the @GenEricOne (generic one? Generi-cone? Lol) impressions or not, despite his awesome job giving concrete examples. I tend to *like* the mechanical hz counting thing he doesn't, but the head by the subwoofer thing could go either way.
The Alpha Primes (and quite frankly all the MrSpeaker mods) blow them out of the water. MrSpeakers have way more controlled bass while I find the Dekoni Blue very sloppy. But they make for one helluva a great set of headphones for gaming.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #24 of 47
Got mine earlier today and have given them a few good hours of head time. They're really, really good. Probably my second favorite EDM headphone so far (see signature for what cans I use, note that I haven't had a chance to use my SR-404LEs yet).

That said, they aren't dethroning the TH-X00 PHs for me. They almost sound like a junior version of them, with more similarities than differences.

As much as I like them, here are some nitpicks:
Blue's highs aren't quiet as bright as the TH-X00 PH's and probably wouldn't need any adjustment on the Loki. LSD by Ghastly is one of the most treble-harsh songs I know and the Blues handle it well, presenting most of the energy without harshness, but there is some veil. TH-X00 PHs have noticeably more energy but border into harsh without some Loki tuning.

Bass on the Blues is emphasized, extended, impactful, and fast. That said, I don't love it. I'm not sure I can describe this well, but I think there's two main issues with it: 1) the Blues sound like a sub near your ear rather than just consuming you with bass, and 2) it sounds a bit mechanical at times...the oscillations in some basslines are almost too clean and fast, like I can count the Hz instead of just experiencing the sound. The basslines in Stay For It by RL Grime (ft. Miguel) and Loco Ono (Jayceeoh Remix) by Bassnectar are good examples of both of these behaviors.

Lastly, I'm particularly sensitive to "ess" sounds in vocals, especially higher-pitched vocals. Most headphones hold/ring the sound too long and sound harsh to me. The Blues are not an exception. I expect most headphones to struggle with Yael's vocals in Body and Soul by Borgore (ft. Yael), but the Blues also struggle with Charlie XCX's vocals in Love gang by Whethan (ft. Charlie XCX) and I even catch a tiny bit of it in Miguel's vocals in Stay For It by RL Grime (ft. Miguel). It's not a matter excessive vocals either, the Miguel lets it rip in Stay For It with the TH-X00 PH's but he's a bit more subdued on the Blues in addition to the hiss ringing.

The soundstage is a little better than on the TH-X00 PH, but not a ton. It's mostly moot for what I listen to, but Yosi Horikawa songs struggle almost equally on both. There's almost no layers of depth like there are on my HD700 or HE-400i. Imaging doesn't seem that bad though.

The Blues also respond really well to the Loki, which is a nice plus. My Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro and Monoprice M1060C can't cope with much of a bass boost so having so much flexibility is nice with the Blues.

Nitpicks aside, if I weren't already enamored with my TH-X00 PH's, these Dekoni Blues would probably be my daily driver.

EDIT: They also flare up the hotspot on the top center of my head. But basically every headphone I have except the HD700 and HE-400i do that at least a little after a couple hours.

I saw on your page that you have the HE400i, ATH-M50X and the Dekoni Blue. Can you compare them? I have the HE4XX and am looking to get either the M50X or the Dekoni Blue. I listen to rock, techno, classical, jazz.

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #26 of 47
Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Dec 23, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 47
Can anyone comment on if the headband is leather or synthetic leather? Prefer the latter. As far as this being a bassy headphone, how might they compare to the Hifiman 400i or the V Moda Crossfade?

Thx

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #28 of 47
Can anyone comment on if the headband is leather or synthetic leather? Prefer the latter. As far as this being a bassy headphone, how might they compare to the Hifiman 400i or the V Moda Crossfade?

Thx
I can tell the headband is very stiff with little give if that helps lol.
Compared to Hifiman 400i they have significantly more bass. Not as clean bass but a lot more.

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #29 of 47
Is it a superior sounding headphone to the 400i? The latter is often compared to the 880, which is a good $150 headphone, but I have the Amirons already and looking for something a bit different, built well and is a good value. Looking at office use primarily. I may end up with Crossfade 2, but exploring options. Looking at Denon ah mm400 also. Thinking about UE 900s as well, but not sure I'm an iem guy.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #30 of 47
I can't say which one is better because they have completely different sound signature. The dekoni is a fun sound and the 400i is an analytical sound. I personally prefer the dekoni because I find the 400i a boring headphone. But a good compromise between the two is the massdrop x hifiman 4xx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back