Defect on my K701????
Apr 10, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #46 of 67
I talked with Mr. Bostick from AKG from work today. He says that in his pair there is a small, slight gap at the top - just like you guys show in the pictures - and in many of the phones and that this is within tolerances and that they are designed to "flex". Is this the same talk that sales people use when they say that defects are actually part of each items "character"? He then asked me to send in a picture. I'll do so tonight when I get home. BTW my phones definitely do not rattle like what I saw in the video - brrrrrr!
basshead.gif

Lum the impatient
mad.gif

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #47 of 67
Hi All,

The k701 is not defective. They are alll like that. AKG has told me they are fine and unless there is something wrong with the sound or there is a rattle, there is not anything wrong. They are hand assembled and serialized - they are a premium hand built product.

Todd

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #48 of 67
Okay Todd,

Then I will trust you. I've read enough in this forum to know that most people here hold you in high repute and that is enough for me. Thank you for settling that. I was just concerned because one of my students has a pair with no noticeable gaps. I did some research and lo - I find the same topic here.

Thank you Todd for your response.

Lum the satisfied
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. btw the sound quality never was in question - I'm pumping them with nonstop Erasure/Depeche Mode to burn them in and I check every 10 hours or so and they do sound nice. I figured that this music offers in almost every track the sufficient highs and lows to work them in.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd
Hi All,

The k701 is not defrective. They are alll like that. AKG has told me they are fine and unless there is something wrong with the sound or there is a rattle, there is not anything wrong. They are hand assembled and serialized - they are a premium hand built product.

Todd

There's a rattling problem with Fiola's pair, so I guess he'll be phoning you soon.

Apr 10, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #50 of 67
Usually when something is hand built or hand assembled, the fit and seams are generally tight. I just expect more from my hard earned $300. (I do not own these cans yet)

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #51 of 67
If there is a rattling sound I will gladly exchange the K701 for a new pair (provided it was purchased from me). That is NEVER an issue with me. I want everyone to be listening and enjoying the music and not dealing with sonic problems.

TOdd

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #52 of 67
Yes it's completely normal that there's that gap. I had a one in my K701 also. First I thought that it's a defect but after all I realised it's almost in every K701.

There's something about it in this thread.

But what's not normal (I think) is that in my K701 that silver plastic decoration which goes around the both cups could be twisted on the other cup. On the other side it was strongly in its place but on the other side it wasn't attached properly.

Apr 17, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #54 of 67
Mine has no rattling and has a 100% tight fit. One question about the K701 serials, mine starts with 0002 (on the box, not the headphone). Curious if some of you got 0001? Or are all 0002?

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #55 of 67
I've got the AKG 601 on order from HeadRoom. It hasn't shipped yet. However, all this talk of gaps being acceptable parts of the design makes me wonder about AKG in general and whether I should change the order.
confused.gif

/does Sennheiser allow gaps?
//or Beyerdynamic?

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #56 of 67
It's not a loud rattling, really. More like a clicking, I should say. Happens sometimes when tilting or turning my head. It's completely inaudible when listening to louder songs, but I can hear it on ambient pieces. I notice that the left cup has stiffer movements, while the right one seems to be too loose in its movements. I think that might have something to do with it.

All this trouble with headphones is really starting to get rather tiresome. Had issues with UE Super.Fi comfort, HD595 comfort, and now K701 build quality. I only recently got into trying these things since Febuary, and I'm just starting to think that it's not worth it anymore. Sure, it all sounds great, but it's just starting to be too much of a pain in the ass to keep up with. *shrug*

Apr 17, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhw
I've got the AKG 601 on order from HeadRoom. It hasn't shipped yet. However, all this talk of gaps being acceptable parts of the design makes me wonder about AKG in general and whether I should change the order.
confused.gif

/does Sennheiser allow gaps?
//or Beyerdynamic?

I wouldnt overrate the few people having gaps here. How many people dont have them on head-fi? People who are perfectly happy with theirs usually dont get vocal about them being fault free.

Dunno about Senns And Beyerdynamic but you better stay away from Grados in your future
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #59 of 67
It's kind of comforting in a strange way finding this thread. A couple weeks ago I, too, received my K701's and noticed the same thing. I clicked it back into place but it wouldn't stay. I cringed at the idea of sending them back.

So instead of parting with them I took a very small amount of Kwik Seal Plus... gloss white latex caulking and tooled it into the crack. I put a little of the caulking on a plate and wrapped a white cotton rag around the tip of a small screwdriver and applied it to the separation. I then took another wet rag and wiped off the excess. I didn't fill up the groove just the area separating with a very very small amount of sealant.

Apr 18, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #60 of 67
My old pair 9I'm seding them in for repair soon because of a stupid rattle) never had this seam you guys speak of...I looked and tested it over and over...no seam.

Darn it, don't yu guys want PERFECTION?! Seriously, at this price, it is beyond an expectation for them to pretty much be literally perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back