Defect on my K701????
Apr 9, 2006 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Fiola

New Head-Fier
Just recieved my K701 a few days ago from todd, and noticed a weird problem.
On the right side of the headphone, the part where the driver is enclosed seem to have a slight seam or something thats not present on the left one. And possibly because of this , when i tilt my head or shake it a bit with the cans on, i can hear things moving in the right side. I took a pic of the seam im talking about

Left side, all normal and good

right side, slight seam going on there

from another angle

is this normal?? is there anythign i can do myself to fix this? maybe it just got dislodge or something..... gah, i would hate to have to send it back to todd after waiting for so long!

edit:
pics from later posts for easier reading
smily_headphones1.gif

left

right

link to video of rattling sound in right cup
http://rapidshare.de/files/17601178/MVI_0577.AVI.html

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 67
If you can hear something rattling around in there when you tilt your head, then I'd be willing to bet something is wrong. Call Todd. He'll take care of it.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 67
Mine have exactly the same defect, but on the left side. It seems to be purely aesthetic but it does annoy me.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 67
My only problem with my K701s is that when I tap the left side of my headphones (the cup part), the slider bangs around. It's because it's a nanomillimeter larger than the right slider gap. Oh well...sound quality is first and foremost
icon10.gif

And I don't get the 'seam' thing...can somebody explain that to me? I can't see anything weird in the pics...although the velvour seems to be in at an odd angle, but it could be the camera angle.

Apr 9, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 67
heres a better pic comparing the left cup and the right cup

left

right

notice on the right cup around where the black elastic string goes into the cup there is more of a gap, where as the left side is flush and no gaps.

I don't think it changes the sound much if any, but just kind of annoying that something slides around when i tilt my head to the side.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 67
eek.gif
That doesn't look right and if something feels loose I wouldn't like that. In the long run something might get worse and you'd be out of luck if warranty was up. I'd send pics to where you bought 'em and let them know.

I'd hate to send 'em back too but I'd hate it worse if they fell apart later.

Mine don't look like that.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 67
Mine also have the same gap on the right cup. Assembly defect.

No sound of anything sliding around on mine, but the pad wasn't properly seated when I unpacked them. The felt circle over the driver is held in place by the pad's pressure, and it was shifting. You might check that out.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #9 of 67
Fiola,
Just got my 701's yesterday.
Sorry to tell you, but no, that's not normal.
BTW, could you tell me what your serial # is?
A PM is fine.
Jim

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 67
Absolutely shitty for this to happen to my friend, his first kickass can too!

Hope Todd fixes this problem soon.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 67
Hi Fiola,

Did you try pushing the piece in as mrarroyo suggested?

I checked my K701s after seeing this thread and darned if there wasn't a gap in the right cup just like yours. Though I've never noticed the sound of anything loose with them.

But I just pressed on the outside of the cup and, without too much pressure, there was a satisfying click as the piece popped into place!

Hope it turns out as simple for you!

Good luck,
Beau

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 67
where exacly are you pushing it from? What I mean is the cup kind of rotates around cuz of the design and i cant really find a place to exert force on. I tried to tilt the cup upwards such that it presses on the side with the seam, and what happened was that it did indeed push it in a bit, but i think the inside is suppose to be glued or something? because when i let go, it stays there, but after a while, or after i move it a bit, it pops back out. weird...

Apr 9, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #14 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiola
heres a better pic comparing the left cup and the right cup

notice on the right cup around where the black elastic string goes into the cup there is more of a gap, where as the left side is flush and no gaps.

I don't think it changes the sound much if any, but just kind of annoying that something slides around when i tilt my head to the side.

Mine have the gaps (K601) on both sides. Though I don't hear things moving inside. You should exchange them. If you can hear things moving, something must be wrong...right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back