Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Nov 26, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #706 of 1,238
Also HPDJ, 
I don't know much about electronics, but I wonder if perhaps you had a surge that messed somethings up in your amp. Are you running it directly off your wall? Perhaps some knowledgable people here can step in and assess my theory. Just seems weird that everything was good and then all of a sudden not, especially since you ruled out the tubes. In any case, perhaps getting a decent power conditioner maybe something could help out in the future. 

Good luck, I really feel your pain.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #707 of 1,238
I have a buzzing issue as well.  Neither my CSP2+ or Taboo buzz independently but when they are connected they buzz.  The CSP2+ can be unplugged with ac cable still attached and it will buzz but if I remove the cable the buzz stops.  I have been working with Steve to determine the problem.  Mine will disappear after playing music for 15-20 minutes (warm up for 30 minutes with no music will not eliminate the buzz).  I recently added a ground isolator to my catv which didn't help.  I plug everything into an Uberbuss.  I'll be calling tomorrow as well and probably sending one of my components back............

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #708 of 1,238
Thanks guys!

All my components are plugged into a power strip from VH Audio called the Hot Box, and that is connected to an upgraded power outlet from Avatar Acoustics...I don't have a power conditioner but I was considering one from PI Audio group actually...funny that setamp mentioned their Uberbuss....not very encouraging to read that setamp is still having buzzing issues despite the fact that he uses a power conditioner. Our buzzing issues are probably unrelated so I won't sweat that :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #709 of 1,238
Cante Ista,
I spoke with Steve today about using my HE500 phones with my Torii 3. I have a cable from Drew at Moon Audio to come from the speaker taps to a female TRS which I am usually using with my Bottlehead 300B Paramounts. Sounds very good, some hum but they have trim pots
that take care of it. Of course I tried it with the Torii, but the hum was terrible. However, the music was absolutely heavenly!
Steve says that the Torii 3 has to much power and a disaster could happen too easily, he will not install a hp jack. He said that I could experiment with resistors on the speaker taps, start with 4 or 8 ohm, move up to 30 if those don't work. However, along with attenuating hum they will reduce dynamics.
I may try this if I can buy 8 ohm resistors at Rat Shack, and I will post results. However, my Tannoy Canterburys yield a better musical experience than any phones when my daughter isn't sleeping
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 28, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #710 of 1,238
thanks Douger333.

I appreciate you reaching out to Steve for that. I have been reading the HE-6 threads and some people there are hooking up their cans to pretty powerful speaker amps (mostly through resistors) but it is good to hear the opinion of the man who has the most intimate knowledge of the system. I wonder if you could use the HE speaker adapter on your HE-500. It is made for the HE-6 I think, and has resistors in it, so I wonder how it would sound with your cans and your system.

Personally, I am really leaning toward the Mini Torii now, but I think the price is going up, and the wife wants to put all extra money away for the baby. I don't argue with her, after she delivered the baby and all, and since she is actually right. Ahhhh decisions: Baby vs more audio gear-- sometime it is so hard to choose --- 
wink.gif
. Daughters are pretty awesome, though!  In any case, it may be a while before I can take that step, and then I will wait 12 more weeks, ohhhh yeah, and then I want those planars, and new speakers -- freakin' fiscal cliff!!!

And BTW, I envy your speaker rig. I bet it sounds super nice. Do you feed you Torii 3 through the Bottlehead or directly off the source? 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #711 of 1,238
I was curious for myself about reducing the hum, I cannot adequately describe how transparent and liquid the music was with that combo...
I read about the HE speaker adaptor, they specifically say that it won't work with the HE500, and I can't spend that much money now anyway.  Daughters are awesome indeed, I have 2 and they are helping me greatly since my wife passed.
My Bottlehead is a pair of monoblock amps, 8.5 wpc. I do drive the Torii through my preamp, a 12ax7 Super PAS 3I by Van Alstine. I could get a little more clarity on CD's by going direct, but not enough to bother me and it is easier to play LP's without rearranging connections.
My speakers are really great to me, they are excellent musically, even if not the last word in audiophile attributes. If you ever get to Omaha let me know and have a listen!

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #712 of 1,238
Hey guys,

Spoke with Steve for a bit yesterday about the buzzing coming from the LEFT channel of my Mini Torii and he's perplexed as well...he mentioned that the amp was working great before they sent it out and that he personally checked it before it left...I asked if they tested it with headphones and he said testing it with headphones (LCD 2) is one of the main things they focus on when someone has the headphone mod. 

After I ran through the laundry list of things I'd tried to do the alleviate the buzzing, he said that if I could bare to stick with it for one more week, it would be great to monitor it and see if anything changes. He said I should literally shake it up a bit and see if that effects the buzzing (tried that, no change) and give it a knock here and there to see what does (nothing so far). All this would presumably help him in his diagnosis of the issue because he doesn't understand it right now. If one the transformers was running hotter than the other then he said to send it back right away, but that has not been an issue thus far as well..

Being that I still don't have my TT (ready for pickup now) or CDP because they are being repaired I told him that I'll play with it for another week. I really don't see the issue going away though. I notice the buzzing during quiet passages in music I've been playing from my speakers into the MT. And yes the buzzing happens even when I'm not connected to the computer. Steve also mentioned that it takes a lot of pressure or force to crack a volume pot, and that that was the issue the first time I sent it in (cracked pot)...this time around I don't know though....maybe something broke inside, maybe it's UPS' fault....

Anyway that's the scoop, Steve was super nice on the phone and helpful as he always is. If I wanted to send it back now I think he would have been open to that. I hope if/when I have to send it back that it's a very smooth process :)

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #713 of 1,238
Quote:
Hey guys,

Spoke with Steve for a bit yesterday about the buzzing coming from the LEFT channel of my Mini Torii and he's perplexed as well...he mentioned that the amp was working great before they sent it out and that he personally checked it before it left...I asked if they tested it with headphones and he said testing it with headphones (LCD 2) is one of the main things they focus on when someone has the headphone mod. 

After I ran through the laundry list of things I'd tried to do the alleviate the buzzing, he said that if I could bare to stick with it for one more week, it would be great to monitor it and see if anything changes. He said I should literally shake it up a bit and see if that effects the buzzing (tried that, no change) and give it a knock here and there to see what does (nothing so far). All this would presumably help him in his diagnosis of the issue because he doesn't understand it right now. If one the transformers was running hotter than the other then he said to send it back right away, but that has not been an issue thus far as well..

Being that I still don't have my TT (ready for pickup now) or CDP because they are being repaired I told him that I'll play with it for another week. I really don't see the issue going away though. I notice the buzzing during quiet passages in music I've been playing from my speakers into the MT. And yes the buzzing happens even when I'm not connected to the computer. Steve also mentioned that it takes a lot of pressure or force to crack a volume pot, and that that was the issue the first time I sent it in (cracked pot)...this time around I don't know though....maybe something broke inside, maybe it's UPS' fault....

Anyway that's the scoop, Steve was super nice on the phone and helpful as he always is. If I wanted to send it back now I think he would have been open to that. I hope if/when I have to send it back that it's a very smooth process :)

thanks for the update. Keep us posted. This is really helpful for me as I am really eyeing the MT, sometime down the line. And good luck, I have read posts where people had issues with their gear and one day turned it on and the issues was gone. 
Quote:
I was curious for myself about reducing the hum, I cannot adequately describe how transparent and liquid the music was with that combo...
I read about the HE speaker adaptor, they specifically say that it won't work with the HE500, and I can't spend that much money now anyway.  Daughters are awesome indeed, I have 2 and they are helping me greatly since my wife passed.
My Bottlehead is a pair of monoblock amps, 8.5 wpc. I do drive the Torii through my preamp, a 12ax7 Super PAS 3I by Van Alstine. I could get a little more clarity on CD's by going direct, but not enough to bother me and it is easier to play LP's without rearranging connections.
My speakers are really great to me, they are excellent musically, even if not the last word in audiophile attributes. If you ever get to Omaha let me know and have a listen!

huh. I looked up the bottlehead and it said that it is a headamp plus preamp. I probably selected the wrong search result -- side effect of multitasking, when a baby is around. Thanks for clarification. 
And I just just may take you up on a drop by one day. My job takes me out west sometimes  -- mostly Colorado Springs, but I have been to Omaha one as well. Not that I see that in my future anytime soon, but I appreciate the invite. I would like to hear that tube set up you have. Most of my experience has been with SS stuff, so increasing my tube listening experience sure would be nice. And if you are ever in DC, PM me. I dont have exotic gear, but I think my HD800 set up is pretty nice. Bring some music though -- you may not like a lot in my collection. 
tongue_smile.gif

Also, sorry to hear about your wife. I cannot imagine what that's like, and you have my heartfelt condolence. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #714 of 1,238
Thank you very much for your kind words, I hope you never experience losing your wife, it's terrible.
Bottlehead has a number of fine products, as does Decware. We are blessed with both these companies and their passionate owners! I am sure your system is very musical, I have enjoyed Senn HD800's a lot.
Enjoy your family, get  what music you can while you can, and someday it will get easier!

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #715 of 1,238
Quote:
Thank you very much for your kind words, I hope you never experience losing your wife, it's terrible.
Bottlehead has a number of fine products, as does Decware. We are blessed with both these companies and their passionate owners! I am sure your system is very musical, I have enjoyed Senn HD800's a lot.
Enjoy your family, get  what music you can while you can, and someday it will get easier!

the HD800 are quite nice. It my understanding that they are wonderful with the CSP+. If I did not already have 2 amps that drive them, I would def be thinking about building my system around the CSP and Taboo. I believe they are nice and tubey but don't sacrifice the detail that the 800s can present so well. My complaint about my two amps is that they sound similar. The Sonett presents the music very similarly to the Phonitor, with just a touch of "tubeyness." It is a great amp and I do love it but I for a second amp I would like a little "wetter" sound. Hence my desire for a decware amp for speakers and planars -- just have to be patient though.

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #716 of 1,238
I haven't posted in a while.  My CPS2+, Taboo combination continue to provide me with the best sound I have ever had.  I was invited to a home to listen to a SS set up that my friend was very happy with, he just had it refurbished.  We listened to CDs and I discovered Conway Twitty for the first time.  I borrowed a couple of his CDs to download into my iTunes.  The older CDs are are not as good as the 196kps music I get off Pandora One.  For example, my Stan Getz downloads off iTunes are much clearer than his Best of Stan Getz CD.  My recording of So What by Miles Davis reveals two separate recording sessions.  The intro is horribly engineered, the body of the recording is perfect, and then the end seems to be engineered by the same studio that did the intro to the song.  My Decware is performing so well right now that my interest is moving toward the quality of the recordings themselves.  Is there a thread here that addresses recordings, good and bad?

Dec 3, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #717 of 1,238
I've been lurking in this thread for too long! Should be making my Taboo purchase very soon, just waiting to hear back from Decware regarding some questions I had.

Perhaps some of you would be able to help me in the meantime?

Basically, my current setup consists of a Cambridge Audio 650A, running into my headphone amp via tape / record out puts. It does have a Pre-amp output also, but I’m currently using that for a sub for my speaker setup. Would running through the tape / rec out into the Taboo be enough? Or would you need to know specific voltages to make a recommendation? Also I could run through the Pre-amp outputs if you would think that would be a better choice, as I’m not using my speakers very often if at all at the moment anyway.

I have searched through the manual for the CA 650a and their website, and can't seem to find any specific specification relating to the output voltages.

Cheers all, and thanks for the info in this thread, it has helped me make a final decision on a headphone amp for my LCD-2s finally!

EDIT: Just put through my order.. the wait begins! Wishful thinking says I hope I get it before Christmas, I highly doubt that though!

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #718 of 1,238
6N2P-EB tubes  and  Decware SE34i integrated with ...   As I've written in previous pages my phono stage doesn't have enough gain (39db) to give me the volume I desire. (Cambridge 551p)

I ordered a few 6N2P-EB  tubes from Moscow and received them yesterday. Well that extra 2Db of gain has made a large improvement, I now have the volume I desire, there is ooomph in my music.

I smiles all afternoon, turned the volume up all the way and still havent clipped this amp with my turntable.  It is sweet, smiles all afternoon. 

Alas there is a price to pay for everything. The 6N2P's are noisier than the 6N1P's.  Unsure if its because of the greater gain but it sounds like tape hiss at louder volumes, more crackle from Lp's also.

I do not care the ooooomph I've gain is sooo worth it to me. I will try and write a comparison of 6N1P vs 6N2P in the future, that is if I ever take the 6N2P's out of the amp. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Frimpy

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #719 of 1,238
Quote:
I've been lurking in this thread for too long! Should be making my Taboo purchase very soon, just waiting to hear back from Decware regarding some questions I had.
Perhaps some of you would be able to help me in the meantime?
I have searched through the manual for the CA 650a and their website, and can't seem to find any specific specification relating to the output voltages.
Cheers all, and thanks for the info in this thread, it has helped me make a final decision on a headphone amp for my LCD-2s finally!
EDIT: Just put through my order.. the wait begins! Wishful thinking says I hope I get it before Christmas, I highly doubt that though!

It will be enough for headphones if that's what you are asking.  The max I've gone with headphones(HE-500) is a little over half with really well mastered/dynamic material.  Compressed recordings I sit at around 9 o clock or even less.  I run speakers and headphones just fine without a preamp.  Supposedly the csp2+ for instance will add more dynamics.  I've tried other preamps but I found it diminished the sound quality due to them just not being great preamps.  Decware recommends no preamp as well over a cheapo one.  I don't know how good a ca650 is, but yeah just some general advice.  My DAC has a little higher output than average, but still less than they recommend on the decware site.  Even so I'm extremely happy.  6W is enough for any headphone besides the HE-6 i guess.  Apparently even the HE-6 is pretty good with most stuff through the taboo as well.  I think you will be very happy with just the amplifier and I'd recommend trying it and getting used to it without a preamp before you add anything to your chain.

Make sure you specify a switch from headphones to speakers, I don't have one and I didn't know you could ask for that option but I'd really like one.  I would recommend getting a pair of cheapish speakers even.  I'm using 200$ napa acoustic speakers (86db efficient I believe) and they sound really wonderful through the taboo and just enough volume for my bedroom.

Dec 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #720 of 1,238
I ordered the Taboo, then ordered the CSP2+ a week later.  Glad I did.  The CSP2+ has the four gain controls, two for the input and two for output.  The volume control on the CSP2+ when coupled with the Taboo is like gliding on ice.  Smooth subtile changes over a wide spectrum, it's hard to describe.  I also purchased the Decware silver RCA cables to connect the two, and Decware made me a couple capacitor plug-ins to use when the Taboo is not connected to speakers.  I made all the right decisions.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back