Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Dec 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #721 of 1,238
Quote:

It will be enough for headphones if that's what you are asking.  The max I've gone with headphones(HE-500) is a little over half with really well mastered/dynamic material.  Compressed recordings I sit at around 9 o clock or even less.  I run speakers and headphones just fine without a preamp.  Supposedly the csp2+ for instance will add more dynamics.  I've tried other preamps but I found it diminished the sound quality due to them just not being great preamps.  Decware recommends no preamp as well over a cheapo one.  I don't know how good a ca650 is, but yeah just some general advice.  My DAC has a little higher output than average, but still less than they recommend on the decware site.  Even so I'm extremely happy.  6W is enough for any headphone besides the HE-6 i guess.  Apparently even the HE-6 is pretty good with most stuff through the taboo as well.  I think you will be very happy with just the amplifier and I'd recommend trying it and getting used to it without a preamp before you add anything to your chain.

Make sure you specify a switch from headphones to speakers, I don't have one and I didn't know you could ask for that option but I'd really like one.  I would recommend getting a pair of cheapish speakers even.  I'm using 200$ napa acoustic speakers (86db efficient I believe) and they sound really wonderful through the taboo and just enough volume for my bedroom.

From what I've gleaned from the Decware site, adding the switch can be done but it modestly impacts sound quality. Better to use the speaker resistors, methinks.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #722 of 1,238
Quote:

From what I've gleaned from the Decware site, adding the switch can be done but it modestly impacts sound quality. Better to use the speaker resistors, methinks.

I had the first Taboo with the headphone jack and the switch was also made at my request and it did not degrade sound at all and is very convenient if your using with speakers. I highly recommend the switch. Eric has the Taboo i sold hom and maybe he could chime in/

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #723 of 1,238
Yeah, the posters from the Decware Blog seem to indicate that there is a difference in sound coming from headphones when there are speakers attached & the switch or resistors are used vs no speakers/no switch used.  My understanding from that thread was that the sound from one configuration is not necessarily better than the other.        

If there was a serious issue would Decware inform buyers via their own website or elsewhere that when buying the Taboo with headphone output they should have speaker switch installed or purchase resistors.  Would be easy for them to include these additional options on their websites rather than have people in the dark and having to call to get an answer to this question (emailing is very iffy).  The majority of people that do call seem to get the response from Steve that yes resistors are recommended if there is no switch.  Maybe that info is on the website.  I'll have to check to see if there has been an update.  This info would be helpful for us newbies.  Seems like the seasoned audiophiles already know speaker loads and resistors.  In any case, the Taboo sounds great with headphones with no speakers or resistors attached.  I've been using the Taboo primarily with speakers now but will eventually get around to testing the Taboo with speakers + headphones + no switch.  

Quote:

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #725 of 1,238
0ca38b61ca7f0afadbcdcf843521db3c.jpg

Dec 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #726 of 1,238
Lookin good! That 596 is one wild looking tube.

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #727 of 1,238
I'll post my pic next weekend. On the road Monday naturally!

David, what are you using for your L/R?

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #728 of 1,238
L/R?

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #729 of 1,238
Left and rt vs driver

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #730 of 1,238
They are a pair of Amperex EL84s. What are others using?

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #731 of 1,238
I've stayed with stock so far, hence activating the hazen grid mod. I've changed the rectifier (once) and driver tubes (about five options) with excellent results. I discovered I prefer neutral, resolving sound. Sound-stage is not important to me - I get that from my speaker rig.

The Hazen grid seems pretty good judging by the resulting sound. I've never compared to know for sure.

I must re-read Steve's description to understand what it actually does 
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #732 of 1,238
I have the stock 6N1P's in the Left/Right positions and a Genalex Golden Lion 6922 in the driver slot....I am running a Jan Sylvania 5U4G as the rectifier until the 596 gets here.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #733 of 1,238
SUBSCRIBED.
My CSP-2 is doing a great job as a pre-amp with a Densen B320 power (100wpc) driving the HE-6.
Fantastic value for money.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #734 of 1,238
Quote:
SUBSCRIBED.
My CSP-2 is doing a great job as a pre-amp with a Densen B320 power (100wpc) driving the HE-6.
Fantastic value for money.

Do you lose any of the tubeness running it trough a power amp? I mean, have you tried the CSP as a headphone amp with another headphone ( i.e. nothing between  tubes and headphones) and compared it your HE rig? Thanks!

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #735 of 1,238
Saw a nice Taboo with the Vcaps on ebay.  That is the rig I have.  The caps don't have enough time to be broken in.  My Taboo, CSP2+ combo does not shout, the sound is right there at the speaker.  Nice.  I use 12 guage copper wire, the kind used to hook up lawn lights, for speaker cable.  I wonder if a good speaker cable would make much difference.  BTW I have the 596 tube in both the Taboo and CSP2+.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back