Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Jun 9, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #286 of 1,238
Bob is the go-to guy for step-up transformers. I am really happy with his devices. I went with him because he personally addressed every question I had regarding my particular setup, etc. If you email him and tell him what equipment you have, he'll respond rather quickly to help you decide on the best step-up for you system. He builds everything himself. Give it a go: http://www.bobsdevices.com/contact.htm

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #287 of 1,238
Recently added a Zbox to my headphone rig and I'm quite impressed with the improvements in tone and focus.  There was also a noticeable increase in the spatial quality of the music and a touch more weight to the low end.  In general, there's a new liveliness to the music.  Anybody else have experience with the ZBOX?  

I have a Mullard 12AU7 tube in it right now and will try other tubes as well.  Feel free to suggest some other 12AU7s.  I have a 1970 Phillips Valvo Heerlen Holland 12AU7 tube on the way so I could be all set. 

I can only imagine how good the rest of the Decware lineup is but if somebody is looking to spice up their non-Decware gear he or she should consider the Zbox.  I got mine used at a great price.  I suppose if one buys a new ZBOX then he or she is already halfway at the price of a new Taboo or CSP2+.  A 2-fold difference in price is incentive enough to go the full monty for a Decware tube amp.     

W4S DAC-2 > ZBOX > V200 > HE-500

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #288 of 1,238
quick question for you mini-Torii owners:

The switch to engage the treble tone knob - is it engaged when it is toggle toward you (if you are facing the amp), or vice versa?

I tried registering on Decware Forum (natural place to ask question) but for whatever reason cannot register.  Nothing in the manual, nor googling.

Hope one of you can set me straight, thanks

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #289 of 1,238
Hi. Sorry for the late response but I had to hook up my Mini Torii before I could test it for you.

The toggle switch engages the treble control when it is pointing toward you. The treble control rolls off the top end when you turn it clockwise. That is it decreases the treble as you turn it clockwise.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #290 of 1,238
C-SF, thanks for checking and posting, really appreciate it.

I stumbled into a used set of mini-Torii and ERR speakers here in Hong Kong, how lucky is that (I can't imagine many of these here, if any at all).  I'm impressed with Decware (until recently unknown to me), so that I've placed an order for a few other items - happy to give them business, and not just take from used market.

Back to mini-Torii, not much info out there, but it looks like mine is the version with 6x4 rectifier whereas the very latest has EZ81.   Question, do you think it would be worthwhile at some point to have it upgraded to EZ81 capabilities (maybe at same time, get stepped attenuators)?  If there is some tangible sonic benefit derived from doing this, I may consider (not right away - just enjoying the music these days - but maybe later).  Or no real sonic benefit, don't bother?   [again, sorry, I should naturally pose some of these questions on Decware forum, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to register there to post].

I took a punt on the ERRs - didn't even know what they were.  Went to buy the amp, and seller asked if I wanted to buy the ERRs too as a package deal.  On the spur I said yes - really happy with these running now off a Leben integrated amp.  I'm using mini-Torii with Omega Super 5s now.

Maybe new toy syndrome, but despite being burnt out and jaded over many years, I'm really enjoying these Decware pieces.

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #291 of 1,238
Hey JimP

Grats on the decware stuff, they are really amazing pieces.  For getting a hold of decware you can email Steve for information about the tube change in the mini torii. 

Jul 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #292 of 1,238
For whatever it's worth, my Mini-Torii uses the 6X4. I like it as a rectifier tube, and nice ones are cheaper than EZ81's have gotten to be.

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #293 of 1,238
JimP,

I don't know enough about the 6X4 to judge it against the EZ81. I do know that Jack from Woo Audio changed the WA4 (discontinued) from the 6X4 to the EZ81 as well and I don't know his reasons.

The only reason I would get it changed to stepped attenuators is that it would be absolutely in balance the way the sound engineer intended. Other wise you're depending on your ears, which is not a bad thing if you have perfect hearing in both ears. Some music I own is right channel or left channel heavy because of the way the sound engineer set it up. Guitars toward the right and drums toward the left and others at points in between. In that instance I make slight adjustments to place them where I think the center is only to find, during another song, that I am way off. But that would be my OCD kicking in I think. :wink: I guess I could use a mono recording to set it up first but I find myself adjusting the volume constantly depending on which song is on.

I didn't get the stepped attenuator because of the price and there are times that I yearn to set it between the steps!!!

It comes down to personal preference. I use my Mini Torii mainly as a speaker amp.

Have fun and congratulations!

Jul 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #294 of 1,238
Amp makers use the EZ81 because there are huge stocks available of his tube from Tesla, RFT, and others. The 6X4 supply is more sketchy.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #295 of 1,238
Skylab,
Does your Mini Torii have a headphone out?  I always wondered how that sounded with orthos.  There was a Mini Torii in the for sale forum.  While it might be great for speakers I would only be using it for headphones, at least for a year or so then maybe switching to speakers.  The Decware website says for headphones, one should pick the Taboo over the Mini Torii.  For speakers, the Mini is the winner when one needs more power.  Since it is all relative, I have the V200 and Pioneer SX.  Had the Lyr in the past.  Maybe you could state in relation to the Pioneer how the Mini Torii matches up if one's primary use is headphones.    

Quote:
For whatever it's worth, my Mini-Torii uses the 6X4. I like it as a rectifier tube, and nice ones are cheaper than EZ81's have gotten to be.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #296 of 1,238
The Mini Torii works well for orthos, specifically planars (yes, mine has a headphone jack installed by Decware - the first he ever did that way). It's good with low impedance, medium sensitivity headphones. I get a bit too much hum with high efficiency headphones. It's also definitely on the warm and lush side, versus the majority of solid state vintage amps that get discussed around these parts, which while not bright, are not "tubey" sounding, which the Mini Torii is. Only my 60's Fisher tube amp is more tubey.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #297 of 1,238
Thanks for info

Quote:
The Mini Torii works well for orthos, specifically planars (yes, mine has a headphone jack installed by Decware - the first he ever did that way). It's good with low impedance, medium sensitivity headphones. I get a bit too much hum with high efficiency headphones. It's also definitely on the warm and lush side, versus the majority of solid state vintage amps that get discussed around these parts, which while not bright, are not "tubey" sounding, which the Mini Torii is. Only my 60's Fisher tube amp is more tubey.

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #299 of 1,238
Anyone looking for a 596 rectifier tube should find the group buy on the Woo thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/22125

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #300 of 1,238
As Skylab has written and from what Steve D. told me on the phone, the EZ81 rectifier tube change was motivated by a shortage in the availability of the 6X4 rectifier in relation to the quantity of EZ81's available now from various tube sellers.

As far as how the two differ in sound, I wouldn't know except that most of the great reviews I'd read about the MT before I pulled the trigger (Skylab's included) had 6X4's. Mines has the EZ81's and sounds great...I personally wouldn't stress changing the 6X4's to the EZ81's it too much. If the 6X4's are not your flavor for some reason, you could probably find a different brand of 6X4's whose sonic attributes better suite your personal system needs. Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back