Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
May 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #271 of 1,238
Sounds to me like you have two sets of RCA inputs (standard build) and two sets of RCA outputs (it's an upgrade and an option to have two)  that's the configuration I ordered. I haven't received my CSP2+ yet.  I think you set the output volumes to 12 o'clock and then adjust the input volumes to your desired listening volume.

May 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #272 of 1,238
My Zu Omens arrived, they're still burning in, but I've been reading some material over S.E.T. amps and now I'm drooling all over the Decware SE34I.3. Anyone who has listen to set amps can explain what all the hype is about? And how does this bridging work? is it just a matter of connecting the output of one to the other to double the watts per channel?

[size=smaller][size=smaller][size=smaller]model SE34I.3[/size][/size][/size]

May 25, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #273 of 1,238
Quote:
My Zu Omens arrived, they're still burning in, but I've been reading some material over S.E.T. amps and now I'm drooling all over the Decware SE34I.3. Anyone who has listen to set amps can explain what all the hype is about? And how does this bridging work? is it just a matter of connecting the output of one to the other to double the watts per channel?

Nice, how do you like it so far?  With the current sale, I really like to pick one up...

May 25, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #274 of 1,238
I only have about 10 hours on them so far. They sounded very bright and bass light fresh out of the box. I think they need about 200 hours before they open up. Hopefully the bass will come in by then and it's not a impedance mismatch or something. The increase in soundstage compared to my bookshelves are a plus though, seems to be very wide and upfront close to the stage. And I can notice the speed in the drivers, the transients are very fast like they say.

May 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #275 of 1,238
Trust me. The bass will drop and the brightness will lose its edge and its clarity will become more focused.
I love my Zu Omens! And Decware, too.

And with two beautiful 596 rectifier tubes (United Electronics Co. (1957)).

May 27, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #276 of 1,238
I forgot you had the Omen's, thought you had the Supaflys. What are you using on the base of your Omen's to elevate them? They seem to be smoothing out over the past few days. Clarity is one of their strengths I think. I love the 596 tubes. I still need to get another adapter from Glenn. My cat bit one of the beanstalk ends off, hope that doesn't hurt anything. I'm getting best results switching the 596 over to the Taboo and the Sophia on the CSP2, seem to get a more open/spacious sound with the 596.

May 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #277 of 1,238
Hey guys,

Looking to purchase a pair of speakers here in the next week or two and now you guys have me questioning what I want to buy! Right now, I'll likely be running them off of a Decware Taboo with CSP2+ as a pre-amp so they can expect a solid 6W of power. I'm sort of debating between the DM945/MG944 from Decware or the Zu Audio Omen now that they are on sale! Any of you guys compared them? Anyone used the Omen's powered from a Taboo? Any thoughts?

May 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #278 of 1,238
I'm running omens off the csp2/taboo combo now. They have enough power to drive them, enough for a small-medium sized room. Plenty loud and enough juice left. If I calculated correct, it comes out to 4watts at 12ohms. The sound of omen has typical zu house sound as they say. With focus on tone and dynamics. They remind me of grados in a way with forward presentation. Very engaging and guarantee keep ur toes tapping.

May 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #279 of 1,238
Jun 3, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #280 of 1,238
Quote:
Skylab uses LCD-2's with a Mini TORII. Question for you all, I recall reading that the original CSP2 had a problem of getting too loud, too fast. Steve did something and created the CSP2+. I have the + model and mine has this issue. Was it a knob or something on my model that I just haven't figured out how to use yet? :p
TIA!

Your results might vary but for my CSP2+, I'm using that with high impedance Beyer DT880 (600 Ohms) headphones.

I don't have that too loud, too fast problem.
In fact, I initially had doubts about placing an order for my CSP2+ because of the lack of remote controls! :)

H/W, after I received it from Decware, I have found that the CSP2+ has fantastic dynamic range and does not require any more fiddling with the volume controls once you have set it up.

My CSP2+ settings are
7 Clicks clockwise for the volume knob in front.
Max 20 clicks clockwise for the L/R headphone input controls on the left side.
The L/R output volume controls on the right side do not affect your headphone output at all, i.e. I don't hear any difference on my headphones. The 2 L/R knobs are only used for adjusting the volume of the CSP2+ when you use it as a tube preamp.

Once the music starts, I do not have to adjust the volume ever again!

For me, this setting works for 99% of the audio music CDs I play on my Oppo-95 player.
Only 1 or 2 CDs require the volume knob to be set at either 6 or 8 clicks, but that is like only 2-3 out of the 70 audio CDs I have played. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #281 of 1,238
Quote:

Quick question: I'm not sure if I'm just imagining things but I have two volume input controls (4 really, two on each side) and I can clearly hear the volume change when I change either on the RCA side and I think I hear that each may control the two channels? Is this the way it works or am I just imagining things? Thanks!

The only complaint which I have about Decware is that their user manual has not been updated for a long time.
I had to find out the following information below from various audio forums including the Decware site.

For the CSP2+, with the volume knob facing you, the RCA input side would be on your left. The RCA output side would be on your right.

When used as a headphone amp, your headphone volume is affected by 2 items :-
1.L/R controls on the Left (closest to the RCA inputs)
The two knobs on the left side control the left and right input volumes of your headphones.  

2. Volume Knob (in front)

When used as a preamp, the volume is affected by
1. L/R controls on the Right (closest to the RCA outputs)

2. Volume Knob (in front).

Jun 3, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #282 of 1,238
Quote:
Sounds to me like you have two sets of RCA inputs (standard build) and two sets of RCA outputs (it's an upgrade and an option to have two)  that's the configuration I ordered. I haven't received my CSP2+ yet.  I think you set the output volumes to 12 o'clock and then adjust the input volumes to your desired listening volume.

My CSP2+ also has the 2x RCA output option.
If this option is selected, Decware will relocate your headphone output jack for you.
The headphone output jack will be placed in front of the amp just below the front volume knob.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #283 of 1,238
Thinking of picking up a Decware Step Up Transformer for MC cartridges. Anyone has experience with these?

Quote:
[size=smaller][size=smaller]ZMC1[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller] For low gain MC cartridges[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller]1:20 ratio for use with 3~25 ohm cartridges.[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller]ZMC2[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller] For high gain MC cartridges[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller]1:10 ratio for use with 3~100 ohm cartridges.[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller]ZMC3[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller] For high impedance MC cartridges[/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=smaller]1:12 ratio for use with 25~100 ohm cartridges.[/size][/size]

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #284 of 1,238
^ I went with Bob's Devices for my Step-Up Transformer.
http://www.bobsdevices.com/photos.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back