Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Apr 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #241 of 1,238
I ordered the Zu Omen guys. The promo right now goes for $999/pair and ends today. I think they're fading it out with a replacement. They should arrive within the next couple weeks. Super excited! 

May 5, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #242 of 1,238
Hey Guys,

Here is a link to a forum on the Decware site where I posted some impressions of the Trapezium speakers :)

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1335891466/6#6

well, ok I'll just paste it here as well haha

Hello all!

I wanted to copy and paste some impressions I sent to Bob Z. via email about the fantastic Trapezium speakers. I hope that's ok...I will post more impressions about them as I continue to learn more and more about them and the gear I have feeding them (Mini Torii included) 
size]

I feel selfish hoarding the Trap's for myself, they continue to surprise me and delight me! I recently got my old Denon turntable up and running with a new cartridge...it had all this gunk and mold (yuck) on it, but it's running clean and great right now and I've had a bunch of hand-me-down vinyl that I've finally gotten a chance to listen to and it's sounding GREAT with the Traps! I'm discovering that some vinyl sounds better than others, so when I'm getting tons of static and hiss I know it's not the speakers. I'm finding that they are very honest speakers that can SLAM when I need them to (and I listen to hip hop and rock sometimes) and be quite and intimate as well with some classical etc.

Today I put on a record I have of Swan Lake and it was wonderful! As I said though, my millage has varied depending on what LP I have on (and I'm slowly going through all of them) but the other day........I put on an Ella Fitzgerald record and OMG!!! As soon as it started I smiled and had a big grin on my face the whole time I listened! It was special stuff...I felt like I could like, see her singing in a way...I got such a great feel for the vibe of the music and I couldn't stop tapping my feet and moving around!...She was coming through SO clearly and the brass and the strings...it all sounded SO great....wish all my music could sound that good and clear....it's pretty great to be listening to vinyl through my desktop rig...at night I put on my LCD 2 headphones and they give a clear and honest output just like the Traps!

And here is one more excerpt 
size]

I can't believe I'm the only person in NY with these! Space is so limited here and the Trap's have such a full sound in my room...New Yorker's would love these things...I never really need to go past the half way mark on the volume on my Mini Torii in here. That's plenty loud....I do push the limit's of volume use though sometimes. There was a night, when I'd just gotten the Mini T. and it was real late...I was playing some Led Zeppelin, one of their live albums and I kept turning the volume up more and more, so surprised that the sound was clear and the instruments just kept sounding bigger and bigger as the volume increased!...soon enough, my poor roommate started shouting over the noise to get my attention and I realized that I'd gotten very carried away! I should have just opened my door and went, "Do you hear that? Doesn't it sound like there is a concert in my room? Isn't that awesome?!" haha. I of course had to apologize to him, and continued my experimenting with the whole system in general mostly during the day when folks were away at work 
wink.gif
 One day I will have a dedicated music room!

cheers :)

May 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #244 of 1,238
I doubt that his roommate shares your assessment. Might give you a hint as to why he isnt surrounded by New Yorkers with large floorstanders (or even large bookshelves) belting out Zeppelin at 2am ..... thats why God invented headphones, people. 

May 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #245 of 1,238
CSP2+ just got marked as "On Bench." I'm beyond excited! 

May 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #247 of 1,238

I just put in an order for the trap speakers

It's contagious I'm order the DM945.  I realized I'd made up my mind when I realized I didn't have room for them on my desk and started looking around at speaker stands.   What speaker cables are you planning on? 

May 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #248 of 1,238
I got a pair of Q speaker cables that I am going to use along with the decware interconects though I only hav a jellyfish power cord so nothing fancy there heh.

I got the Q Cables due mainly the look...heh something about that vintage look I love it lol.

Grats on ordering the new speakers, I have read great things about them on the Decware forums.  Would love to hear you thoughts when you get em and good luck in the speaker stand search.

toivo

May 14, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #249 of 1,238

I got a pair of Q speaker cables

The Tellurium Q?  

Though I did some looking around, I went with Decware cables to be consistent through the system since I have their interconnects as well.  I confess I did opt for the black sheath though.  

You comment about the power cord made me realize I really need 3 more Venom 3.  I have one for the W4S, but should really add them in for the Taboo, CSP2+, and M6.  

Stands won't be difficult to find since all I need is practical and if my measurements are right about 30 inches, which allows for a 2 inch isolation pad, and should put them at close to the ideal height for when I'm sitting at my desk.  (It's a 60 inch desk, but I use two 27 inch monitors so no chance of them fitting on the desk.)

May 14, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #250 of 1,238
Order just marked as packed. Quickest turn around ever. Now for the longest week EVER. :p

May 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #251 of 1,238

Now for the longest week EVER. :p

You pretty much got that right.   But, you're soon to reap the rewards of patience.  Grats. 

May 15, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #253 of 1,238
Question for anyone who has bought one of the power cables from Decware along with your amplifier... I don't currently have the proper receptacle installed in my home and won't have time to do it for a while... Does Steve also include the original power cord along with the upgraded one or just the upgraded one? If it is the upgraded one, is there any way to plug it into a standard 110V outlet in the interim (even if it won't gain any benefit at that time?) I'd really love to use this thing right out of the box!

TIA!

May 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #254 of 1,238
CSP2+ arrived early yesterday! It did include the standard power cord as well as the audiophile one so I have been able to plug it in and listen temporarily. It's awesome! The CSP2+ absolutely blows away the valhalla (Granted it also costs about 2-3x as much...) I'm particularly impressed with the dynamics of this amplifier. Drums in particular sound fantastic and it keeps its speed very well. I've only got about 2 hours of listening time on it (the stock tubes mind you) so I'm still in early evaluation stages, but so far, I think it's fantastic with my T1's.

My only concern is that it is incredibly loud! I am listening to what I consider slightly above average listening level (not by much... right around where I like to listen at) and the master volume knob is only at 7 or 8 o'clock! by 10 o'clock it's WAY too loud. Is there any way to get some extra volume control on this so that it isn't ridiculously loud?

Anyways, loving it very much and look forward to throw some of these NOS tubes I've been collecting in and give them a shot soon! :wink:

May 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #255 of 1,238
Quote:
CSP2+ arrived early yesterday! It did include the standard power cord as well as the audiophile one so I have been able to plug it in and listen temporarily. It's awesome! The CSP2+ absolutely blows away the valhalla (Granted it also costs about 2-3x as much...) I'm particularly impressed with the dynamics of this amplifier. Drums in particular sound fantastic and it keeps its speed very well. I've only got about 2 hours of listening time on it (the stock tubes mind you) so I'm still in early evaluation stages, but so far, I think it's fantastic with my T1's.

My only concern is that it is incredibly loud! I am listening to what I consider slightly above average listening level (not by much... right around where I like to listen at) and the master volume knob is only at 7 or 8 o'clock! by 10 o'clock it's WAY too loud. Is there any way to get some extra volume control on this so that it isn't ridiculously loud?

Anyways, loving it very much and look forward to throw some of these NOS tubes I've been collecting in and give them a shot soon! :wink:

Just wanted to extend a warm welcome to a fellow CSP2+ user! :)

The input tube in front has the greatest impact.
If you can get one, rolling in a single Lorenz PCC88 Made in Stuttgart Germany can turn your CSP2+ into an "end-game" rig.
Also, for the rectifier, someone over at the Decware Forums rolled an extensive list of rectifiers and found the Tung Sol 5Y3GT to be the best sounding.

Here's what I am experiencing from my current CSP2+ rig. My Tube config is 1x Lorenz PCC88 , + 2x Siemens Halske E188CC & 1x Tung Sol 5Y3GT.
(a) Instruments have air and tonality - Reed pipes sound like they are in the same room as me.
(b) Instrument separation and 3D holographic effects - I can gauge the size of the concert hall or outdoor space in the recording.
(c) Jazz singers like Ella Fitzgerald breathe life into their music.
(d) Extensive Dynamic Range - The CSP2+ does not have a remote and does not require one! I simply set the volume knob to 1/3 max and it can handle the softest whisper to the extensive blare of trumpets without me having to adjust the volume ever again in the middle of any song.
(e) I can "feel" the force and impact of low end bass drums.
etc....

I have personally rolled

Siemens CCa Grey Shields
French Made E188CC
Valvo CCa 
Telefunkens etc.....

The Lorenz PCC88 is tops!

After I plugged that in, my other "holy grail" tubes such as Telefunkens E188CCs and a couple of pinched waist tubes are still kept in NOS virgin storage status.
IMHO, no more tube rolling is required until my Lorenz PCC88s expire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back