Deciding on cable for K702: Double Helix or Moon Audio?
Apr 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
I've been looking at both cables and the both have a large following. The prices are pretty much the same with the exception that Double Helix 6ft costs the same as the 5ft Moon Audio Black Dragon. I emailed Drew and asked if the Blue or Black Dragon would be better and he recommended the Black Dragon for the K702. Can owners of either cable weigh in on the merits of each cable? 

What I'm looking for is to give my K702s a more lively, musical presentation. It sounds a bit flat and boring with the stock cable. I keep finding myself reaching for my Grados after listening to the K702.

Sounds like you need a K601.
k701smile.gif
Totally different than the K701 and far more engaging and fun to listen to. I'm comparing it to my HD-598 today, which is similar in many ways, but the HD-598 is a tad more laid back (not that it is to begin with!).

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
You can build your own cable, good and cheap... here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/378255/akg-k702-build-your-own-cable

I built mine with Cardas and saved a substantial amount of money too..... I felt the same as the OP about the stock cable, kind of congested is how I'd describe the sound but now it's just perfect for my set up.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #18 of 24
If you want to change sound you need to change the material used in the cable. So if you aren't going with silver or silver plate I say it isn't worth it.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
You can buy some of that Double Helix cable in bulk for under $60 (Four 6' cables). It's more expensive, but might be worth it. Has anyone went from standard Canare/Mogami cable to that and noticed a difference?
You can even buy bulk Cardas cable and save yourself $100. You can have it premade for $200-$260 or under $100 if you DIY. Cardas cables pre-made seem to have a huge markup and I can totally understand why.

I just bought some Canare cable in bulk for 50 cents per foot and I'm going to recable my HD-650 and K702. I'll eventually try the Double Helix cable. Hopefully it will be worth the extra money.

Headphone recables are not expensive if you do it yourself, so try it out! If I don't notice a difference, then I probably will stop there.

Here's the one I'm using with my K702 for now. It's good and cheap:
http://best-tronics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BMI&Product_Code=MIC31-XX&Attributes=Yes&Quantity=1

Maybe you can post some links for the Cardas and the Double Helix under $60, thanks
smile.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
Cool cable, first time I see this new mini XLR, looks good.. where is made?

Cheers!

Got them here... They are very reasonable to buy but with the Cardas and the Via Blue 3.5mm Plug it totalled about £48 for a 5ft cable. I enjoy making my own cables and when you think that they would be 3 x that to buy, it's quite a buzz.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:

Maybe you can post some links for the Cardas and the Double Helix under $60, thanks
smile.gif

Here's where you can get the cable for $2.40 per foot. For the K702 I believe you need four 6" sections. I didn't buy it, but it comes out to $60. Of course one would need to buy the mini-XLR plug, heat shrink tubing, 1/4" plug and sleeving, but it's all very cheap.

http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=2

One strange thing I've noticed is that it listed the weight as 240lbs?! I sure hope they don't charge you for 240lbs worth of shipping postage!

The Cardas Starquad cable I found here:

http://www.takefiveaudio.com/mall/shopexd.asp?id=772

It's $8.40 per foot. I don't know if they're reliable and they're in Canada and I haven't tried checking elsewhere for Cardas cable. They sell an already made cardas cable for $208. It's probably $75-$100 if you DIY. I haven't added up the costs.

Anyone prefer the Double Helix cables to the Cardas cables?

Maybe I'll make one of them and compare to my Canare K702 and HD-650 cable I'm going to make this week
regular_smile%20.gif

BTW if anyone knows a good source for bulk Cardas (starquad) cable in the USA (that's not Ebay), please post a link.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
I found the Black Dragon to be an excellent match with the K701. You get more body.

Thanks for the input! That's what I'm looking for. Perhaps my original description of the K702 is a bit inaccurate. I love the imaging, soundstage, and how it presents vocals but I want more body to the music as it doesn't feel weighty/realistic enough. 

Thanks everyone else for the tips on how to make my own cable. I'll definitely look into this but my soldering skills haven't been put to use since building RC cars back in high school. My Weller iron also has an annoying chisel shape and is quite large in diameter. It's perfect for working with 14 or 18 gauge wire but I'll probably need something with a more accurate tip for assembling cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back