DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Mar 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #211 of 569

Yes, I saw the Xilinx, it's VERY promising! Hope it can be fed with separate psu rails to perform at it's best. That's what most good DDC's lack, separate power feeds,,,,,

It may those sets of connections on the sides of the board - possibility for external DC inputs.  The Regen with it's ext feed or alternatively a iFi iUSB 3.0- or iUSB 2.0 with the iPurifier2.0 fed by a LPS/DC iPurifier or an iPower 9VDC using a split USB cable works fine.  The same effect power from a ultra clean non-pc USB source.

The Regen takes a 7VDC due to it's on board ultra low noise regulation (if feeding a high drawn USB DDC like the PUC2 otherwise 9VDC is fine) the iFi iUSB 9 VDC or just going straight into the power USB leg of the 2G takes 5VDC.  So spending $300-$400 for a higher grade LPS like the Hynes with it's fixed voltage may not be optimal.  Using a variable voltage TeraDak DC-30W with the DC iPurifier seems the most versatile.

That said Uptone is about to  release a killer power supply - so that will be interesting.

Once the power leg investment is made  - then these USB powered devices become easily and low risk interchangeable.  Once you start modding the power inputs - things can go terribly wrong.  I'm more of a plug and play guy. 
wink_face.gif

Anyway as technology advances the DDC boards can be swapped out - the power chain remains constant.

What do you think about this feature of the F-1 XU208:
 full isolation technology, 150Mbps full-chip isolation, interference can be completely isolated from the PC;

source synchronous shaping technology and CPLD technology, I2S signal isolation after the re-shaping; thus eliminating the isolation chip to bring added jitter 

What is cool about the new gen of XMOS - they are firmware upgradeable, besides twice the processing power and a whole host of other improvements
  XU/XUF: PROGRAMMABLE HIGH SPEED USB 2.0

The xCORE-200 USB family of devices (XU and XUF) extends the popular xCORE architecture to provide increased performance, memory footprint and flexibility for the most demanding applications.
xCORE-200 XU/XUF integrates up to two USB 2.0 PHYs (host or device) and implements a dual-issue processor pipeline to boost peak compute performance to 4000MIPS and 2000MMACS. Up to 1024KB on-chip SRAM memory is available. Each member of the xCORE-200 family has an embedded flash option for applications where additional security is required.

Features

1. Devices ranging from 8 to 32 cores
  2. Multicore compute between 1000MIPS (8 core) and 4000MIPS (32 cores)
  3. Flexible, high performance configurable I/O capability
  4. Integrated USB 2.0 PHY for high/full-speed host and device operation
  5. Up to 2048KB on-board memory for demanding applications
  6. Embedded QuadSPI flash options - up to 2048KB on-board
  7. DSP integration using our native 32b/64b instructions
  8. Free software library support to implement your exact mix of peripherals
  9. Easy to use with our free xSOFTip Explorer and xTIMEcomposer Studio tools

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #212 of 569
Bob, any thoughts on the Teradak Bladelius vs. DC-30 Touch?  Is the Bladelius new?

I started a thread on the DIY board just to see what happens:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803109/looking-to-make-a-linear-regulated-5-volt-power-supply-suggestions-please#post_12458576

Bladelius
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-BLADELIUS-USB-DAC-power-source-5V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-/262057568111?hash=item3d03d9276f:g:lMoAAOSwFnFV~r35

DC-30W-Touch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TeraDak-DC-30W-TOUCH-DC5V-3A-Linear-precision-linear-regulated-power-supply-/301773952382?hash=item464321157e:g:EnkAAOSwfcVUI5XK

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #213 of 569
  Bob, any thoughts on the Teradak Bladelius vs. DC-30 Touch?  Is the Bladelius new?

I started a thread on the DIY board just to see what happens:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803109/looking-to-make-a-linear-regulated-5-volt-power-supply-suggestions-please#post_12458576

Bladelius
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TeraDak-BLADELIUS-USB-DAC-power-source-5V-3A-Linear-Power-Supply-/262057568111?hash=item3d03d9276f:g:lMoAAOSwFnFV~r35

DC-30W-Touch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TeraDak-DC-30W-TOUCH-DC5V-3A-Linear-precision-linear-regulated-power-supply-/301773952382?hash=item464321157e:g:EnkAAOSwfcVUI5XK

I have both and prefer the DC-30W Touch with the large Pannie Caps - I have new HWs to put in but just haven't had time.  They are very close to each other.  Hoping the new low cost Uptone PS will be good.  At $130 for the DC-30W with a $90 DC iPurifier - not a bad pairing.  Cerious has been MIA - too bad really great power cords.  Many others to choose from.  I would add a great AC line conditioner before the LPS.

I got a great deal on a AuriCap Audience aR1p http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue36/audience.htm
This is the same design as the $5000 aR12p and $3000 aR6p - just no chord and one outlet:

One nice feature of the aR line conditioners are their partial passive Power Factor Correction. To quote Roger Sheker (Audience's Chief Design Engineer), "this helps bring the voltage and current more into phase and makes the load look more like a resistor to the power line. As a result this process enhances the transfer of power making all Adept Response line conditioners more efficient and cleaner."

The aR1p feeds a Art Audio PB4X4 Pro common and differential mode AC line filter and isolator for the DAC then on to a separate PB4X4Pro for the DDC. 
All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF™ (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.
By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.
Every PRO SERIES power conditioner is designed with a power capacity of 1800 Watts, surge/spike protection, APF with EMI & RFI filtering, front-mounted unswitched power outlet and an adjustable rear-mounted gooseneck light source for bright illumination behind the rack.

So the power has been well filtered and corrected, the digital gear isolated on independent AC filters -  even before the power enters the TeraDak DC-30W.  Then the power goes through three layers of low noise regulation (DC iPur, Regen, iPur 2.0) - before powering the DDC.  The benefits extend to the DAC as well - isolated AC from DDC - power filtered and corrected by the aR1p and PB4X4Pro - also using a Cerious Tech Graphene power cord.  This may all seem obsessive - but each step has done amazing things for the sound quality.  Not just smoothness and musicality, but the greater clarity, detail and imaging focus, deeper better defined bass, wide deeper soundstaging.  The results have been truly outstanding.

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #214 of 569
I recommend the intona over any device of its kind. Which are USB cleaners, reclocker , regen, isolators for power. But this intona is one of about 2 or three products that does isolation of the USB data. It uses two Spartan fpga' to break down and rebuild the data from the dirty to clean side.it's a great piece of gear to own if you use USB at all. Simply put, it will give you the most out of your USB.
I have owned everything you can imagine from the Uptone regen, jitterbug, wyrd, etc etc. sold all of them......

Presently, I am using a direct connection from a pc to the USB input of my M11.

Can Mr bimmer100 comment please whether the Intona will bring SQ improvements to my system and if it does, should I buy the Indstrial version over the standard version?

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #215 of 569
Hi B0bb,

Thanks for the great tips, will give SmartMix and Bridge a try.

Btw, maybe you can give me some tips to increase SQ? You were talking about removing Alsa mixer, maybe you got som tips or links on how to?
And, I couldn't find how to disable HDMI output since I don't use it's graphical output it seems a good thing to disable it.

I have lots of DSD DSF and SACD iso's in my library, but LMS/PiCorePlayer doesn't see them at all.
I did enable the dsdplayer plugin, am I missing something here?

Yes, I used the DIYINHK isolated I2S before giving this rpi a try.

Until now it seems isolated I2S indeed has much wider soundstage, and to be honest, I do miss some blackness, RPI is not that airy, but have to wait till it has it's burn-in hours.

Looks like RPI has much more bass, but not as tight as diyinhk isolated I2S.
Since my speakers have enormous LF output (about -3db at 20Hz) I prefer tight bass, untill now RPI doesn't provide me with this.

But, again, I'll have to wait till next Sunday for final listening impression.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Sounds like you are having lots of fun there :)
There is a lot you can do to (theoretically) improve playback in Linux: realtime kernels, interrupt/process prios, proc affinity, etc. Unfortunately it's all quite cumbersome and I do not know of any easy tools. Here's a pretty good resume http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
I'd say it's better to just stick with one of those audio-optimized distros and hope that they get it right. E.g. runeaudio just released rpi3 support.

And out of curiosity, is that IanFifo board going to replace the berrydac or come on top of it? And is it a 'simple' reclocker or it does full ASRC?

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #216 of 569

Hi B0bb,

Thanks for the great tips, will give SmartMix and Bridge a try.

Btw, maybe you can give me some tips to increase SQ? You were talking about removing Alsa mixer, maybe you got som tips or links on how to?
And, I couldn't find how to disable HDMI output since I don't use it's graphical output it seems a good thing to disable it.

I have lots of DSD DSF and SACD iso's in my library, but LMS/PiCorePlayer doesn't see them at all.
I did enable the dsdplayer plugin, am I missing something here?

Yes, I used the DIYINHK isolated I2S before giving this rpi a try.

Until now it seems isolated I2S indeed has much wider soundstage, and to be honest, I do miss some blackness, RPI is not that airy, but have to wait till it has it's burn-in hours.

Looks like RPI has much more bass, but not as tight as diyinhk isolated I2S.
Since my speakers have enormous LF output (about -3db at 20Hz) I prefer tight bass, untill now RPI doesn't provide me with this.

But, again, I'll have to wait till next Sunday for final listening impression.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Sounds like you are having lots of fun there
smily_headphones1.gif

There is a lot you can do to (theoretically) improve playback in Linux: realtime kernels, interrupt/process prios, proc affinity, etc. Unfortunately it's all quite cumbersome and I do not know of any easy tools. Here's a pretty good resume http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
I'd say it's better to just stick with one of those audio-optimized distros and hope that they get it right. E.g. runeaudio just released rpi3 support.

And out of curiosity, is that IanFifo board going to replace the berrydac or come on top of it? And is it a 'simple' reclocker or it does full ASRC?

Yes, always having fun 
wink_face.gif

I had some troubles getting I2S input AK4495SEQ working with RPI and Amanero board. Finally decided to put back isolated XMOS which works (and sounds) perfectly.

Btw, abandoned Jplay, since I am in SinglePC mode now, JPlay isn't of any use anymore. It even seemed  to degraded SQ on this SinglePC (the HP laptop),
so I must say, you were right 
wink_face.gif

Will try RPI with my other AK4495SEQ dac's (NO DSD). Thanks for the RuneAudio tip, but I prefer headless player, so will try PiCoreplayer which also supports RPI3 by now 
bigsmile_face.gif

The Ian FiFo II is a comprehensive reclocker which rebuilds I2S completely. Ian has a little board to connect to RPI, so you don't need HifiBerry DAC+Pro for it's I2S signal.
The FiFo also needs an isolator board between FiFo II and DAC.

Other interesting projects are the "Direct DSD" projects from Acko and Nautibuoy at diyaudio

Nautibuoy's project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac.html

Acko's Direct Drive DSD project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/280763-direct-drive-dsd.html

Acko's Amanero/Reclocker project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb.html

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #218 of 569
Mar 31, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #219 of 569
  Today my DDC finally arrived from China.
Sounding really nice from first minute :)
Will do a comparison to the dvd player over coax in a couple of day´s.
The SQ compared to USB is huge!

Feeding the DDC by Aqvox psu.

Using Jriver and wasapi, any better to use ASIO?

When I got that DDC I got a bit confused.
Very well made chassi and it´s labeled: Breeze Audio?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932067307?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You could try KS (kernel streaming), sounds best in my opinion

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #221 of 569
Finally got around to modding a Breeze DUU8 with crystek 957's. And it sounds fantastic. I want to spend a little more time and compare with my AGD DIU8 with NDK's but it's really damn close. Surely a nice bump in SQ over the stock JYEC gold clocks. Those obviously have inflated specs. The soundstage on the breeze is surely improved and a touch more bass texture/control yet a touch on the high end of clarity with no hints of distortion. 

This mod went quite well. Here are a few photos of the process.

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #223 of 569
  Finally got around to modding a Breeze DUU8 with crystek 957's. And it sounds fantastic. I want to spend a little more time and compare with my AGD DIU8 with NDK's but it's really damn close. Surely a nice bump in SQ over the stock JYEC gold clocks. Those obviously have inflated specs. The soundstage on the breeze is surely improved and a touch more bass texture/control yet a touch on the high end of clarity with no hints of distortion. 

This mod went quite well. Here are a few photos of the process.

Well done 
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #224 of 569
Btw, yesterday evening, came home late but wanted to try RPI3 with PiCoreplayer connected with I2S to one of my older AK4495SEQ dac's.

RPI3 5V fed with 0.8uV low noise psu, both for RPI3 and Dac+Pro. So, only one psu for 5V RPI, 3.3V RPI, 5V Dac+Pro and 3.3V Dac+Pro.
So, first setup with this RPI3 was very basic.

It's burning-in as we speak, will use more seperate psu rails later, but sounding promising 
wink_face.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #225 of 569
  The one you bought is the baby Breeze, that is the DU-U8 minus the power supply and external I2S.

Ok, thank you!
Even though it sounds better than USB from my pc to my amp/dac it´s not as good as a 15 year old Pioneer DVD player connected to coax.
The sound from the old Pioneer is brighter and crispier with more details.
Tried both Jriver and Foobar with wasapi, ASIO and Kernel streaming.
Also bought Fidelizer Plus.
A bit dissapointed.
I don´t know if I will give up for now and accept that my PC can´t compete with a standalone player.
Maybe start looking at networkstreamers.

I read that W7 can´t compete with W10 in SQ but can´t dump W7 since I use WMC.

W7 64
Jriver/Foobar
Fidelizer Plus
Supra USB cable
Aqvox PSU
Baby Breeze DDC
Hegel H80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back