DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Mar 26, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #196 of 569
Hi

I would like to connect my Breeze Audio XMOS U8 via I2S (RJ45) to DAC LKS Audio MH-DA003.

My DAC expects +3.3V DSD/ 0V PCM signal on Pin 7.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph8f7a2mcuxe6qs/IMG_20160326_092113.jpg?dl=1

XMOS U8 uses Pin 7 for MCLK.

Is there anyway to connect those together ? 

Ideally I would like to play DSD to DAC.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #197 of 569

Yes, I prefer with isolator and fifo reclocker too, Nautibuoy pointed me to BeagleBone Black with Acko S03, probably will try that too, seems better to me.

Use the Botic driver with this, also get the power sequencing cape/board for the BBB if you go down this route. TP and ACKO sell them.

BBB has a tendency to blow-up and die if the power-up sequence to GPIO connected devices is done incorrectly .

Thanks for this very useful tip!

Btw, I used DAC+Pro onI2S only, but have to say it's native analog output did impress me when feeding 5V and 3.3V from low noise stable external psu's.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #199 of 569
I've been using this XMOS U8 for couple of days now. It seems to be sounding good. I have it connected AES/EBU to DAC. Odroid C2 is feeding PCM 32/192khz via USB.
I haven't tried higher rates yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #200 of 569

But here is the magic part that took me weeks to nail down.  Using the excellent iFi DC Purifier between the DC-30W LPS (set to 7VDC) and the Regen.  This nifty little unit works wonders!   Now the Regen is being fed ultra low noise linear power - then the Regen's ultra low noise regulators clean it further - that power and signal is sent to the PUC2 lite...but with one additional step....http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/

Hmmm.....  have you tried that ipower +5v wall wart?
How does it compare to Teradak LPS/Cerious GE cord?

I need an external +5V power supply for my WaveIO card. Currently powered through USB.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #201 of 569

Hmmm.....  have you tried that ipower +5v wall wart?
How does it compare to Teradak LPS/Cerious GE cord?

I need an external +5V power supply for my WaveIO card. Currently powered through USB.

The TeraDaK LPS/Cerious is better - but not by much.  Using the iPower 5VDC on the PPA V2 USB card.

Just added a Audience aR1P at the wall socket (Teslaplex) that feeds the two separate PB4X4 AC line filters -one for the DAC and the other for the DDC chain.
Bought it a an amazing price used on Audiogon.  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/audience7/mini.html

Another small but significant increase in clarity, smoothness and detail.  Ultra black background.  By the time the power feds the PUC2 lite is has been filtered 4 times and regulated by  both the DC iPurifier, and the Regen's ultra low noise regulators.  Then finally reclocked, and impedance matched and rebalanced by the iPurifier2.

The level of clarity is stunning -as is the extremely low noise background. 

Will start a new thread soon on the latest generation of XMOS DDC's the XU208 based Q1-S using three NDK SD's and the even more sophisticated F-1 XU208 using totl Crystek CCHD-575 (with even lower phase noise in the audible band then the 957).  The F-1 uses the ultra low noise LDO from ADI:
They are in the mail and should be here in a week or so...

Q1-S:

F-1 XU208:

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #202 of 569

Will start a new thread soon on the latest generation of XMOS DDC's the XU208 based Q1-S using three NDK SD's and the even more sophisticated F-1 XU208 using totl Crystek CCHD-575 (with even lower phase noise in the audible band then the 957).  The F-1 uses the ultra low noise LDO from ADI:
They are in the mail and should be here in a week or so...

Did you get those off of eBay? Are they USB powered only?

Also what do you think about making a linear regulated power supply from one of these?
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/89-08uv-ultralow-noise-dac-power-supply-regulator-3357v-15ax2.html

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #203 of 569

Did you get those off of eBay? Are they USB powered only?

Also what do you think about making a linear regulated power supply from one of these?
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/89-08uv-ultralow-noise-dac-power-supply-regulator-3357v-15ax2.html

Direct from China - Yes they are USB powered only - but with the Regen not an issue as it has it's own power feed.  I also have a iFi iUSB2.0 and when used with the iPurifier 2.0 another excellent power source when powered by the 9VDC iPower - here a split cable like the Forza Twin Copper or my favorite the LH Labs 2G is needed.

The advantage of perfecting this power chain - any USB DDC can be easily swapped into place.  I have designed a case to house both XU208 boards one with the NDK SD clocks and the other with Cyrstek CCHD-575 clocks - so I can change up the DDC in just a few minutes and switch between them.

Here is the thread I started:

XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

The DIYinHK ultra low noise PS is good - but I think the DC iPurifier may make it unnecessary, certainly if your using a Regen as well. This unit works great with the TeraDak Linear Power Supplies.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-dcipurifier/

With trickle-down technology from Abbingdon Music Research (AMR), the very latest product from iFi is the DC iPurifier; a noise-cancellation product aimed to enhance the existing, ubiquitous Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS).
Generic SMPS designs are very noisy because they were never intended for audiophile applications.​
DC-iPurifier-webpage1.jpg

DC-iPurifier-webpage2-2.jpg

The DC iPurifier sits in-between the SMPS and the device such as; router, DAC, set top box, media streamer, laptop or desk mixer. And with the latest Active Noise Cancellation® technology, from 5 volts all the way up to 24 volts (up to 3.5 amps) the DC iPurifier sharply reduces noise to improve the quality of the device.​
DC-iP_LOGO.jpg

Got SMPS? Just add the DC iPurifier
iPurifier-DC-5.5x2.1_%E6%97%A0%E9%98%B4%E5%BD%B1.png

Generic Switch Mode Power Supply designs are noisy – but they were only intended for mainstream use so noise was never a consideration. Just insert the DC iPurifier between the existing noisy power supply and the source; noise is reduced by a factor of 316x to 100,000x.
Be it home or professional audio, this is the most simple and most effective way of improving audio performance from arguably, one of the most noisy sources in a computer audio system.
DCiPurifier_webpage.jpg

Active Noise Cancellation® derived from military radar technology
ANC-.png

Drawing from the military field (specifically the Thales Spectra radar cancellation system deployed in the French Dassault Rafale jet fighter), iFi adapted this technology to exclusively introduce the Active Noise Cancellation® (ANC®) audio power system.
ANC2.png

An enemy air defence radar will transmit at a certain frequency; when the enemy signal reaches the aircraft,
a receiver on board the aircraft will pick up the signal and a computer will analyse its base
frequency/modulations and produce an identical, but out-of-phase signal to cancel the enemy radar signal.
By generating a signal identical to the noise signal but in the exact opposite phase, it actively cancels all the incoming noise. ANC® is the perfect ‘antidote’ for power supply noise, the bane of all audio systems.
ACN.png

CHARTS-DC-iPurifier.jpg

Across the audible range, measured noise is improved by 316x to 100,000x or by 50dB to 100dB respectively.
Sonically, the background and inner resolution to recordings is brought to the fore and no longer hidden. Sonics are much smoother, just like how good analogue should be. Nothing comes close.

1hz-to-5ghz_logo.jpg

Ultra wide-band design, effective from 1Hz to above 5GHz
iFi leaves no stone unturned; the DC iPurifier is a ground-up, ultra-wide band design.
Effective from 1Hz all the way up to 5GHz. Crucially the strongest performance is in the audible range of 20Hz to 20KHz.

Compatible with all power supply designs 5V-24V/3.5A/84W
webpagephoto.jpg

The DC iPurifier handles 5v through to 24V. Takes up to 3.5A or 84W. For different types of DC barrel connectors, the DC iPurifier works with 5.5 x 2.1mm but also ships with adapters for 5.5×2.5mm and 3.5×1.35mm. These three fittings cover the gamut of DC barrel connectors.
Professional audio applications typically require a ‘centre negative’ power supply. To lower noise with the DC iPurifier, use a ‘centre positive’ power supply at the input and use a special white ‘inverter’ at the output.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #205 of 569
  How about the 5V ipower wall wart and DC ipurifier together? Have you tried this?

Yes - it makes it slightly better - but I believe the DC iPurifier tech is in the new iPowers - so may not have as much effect.

So far the best is the TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious/DC iPur to the Regen then the iPur2.0 to the PUC2

the next best the iUSB2.0/iPower 9VDC/DC iPur/iPur 2.0,

then the 5VDC iPower/DC iPur/Pur 2.0

Note all using a JB at the PPA2.0 modded into a VBUS blocker (and power and ground pin severed). 2G cable (no power leg with the Regen).

The iPurifier 2.0 relocks so need to be powered...now getting ultra low noise +5VDC from the Regen.

Each level of AC/DC filtering has opened up the sound - just shows how awful our modern day electrical grid is - digital noise pollution is horrendous.  cleaning the power is especailly noticeable on digital chain.  With all these femto second clocks - super sensitive to jitter effects and PS noise of many kinds.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #206 of 569

F-1 XU208 using totl Crystek CCHD-575 (with even lower phase noise in the audible band then the 957).  

Crystek CCHD 575 TOTL ???? That's NOT so obvious to me, but they are close to NDK

Pricing? About USD 25,00 for the Crysteks, USD 8,00 for the NDK's (45.xxx mHz and 49.xxx mHz even only USD 4,00 at Jlsounds)

Freq                          CCHD575                  NZ2520SD

10Hz                         -100dB                      -113dB
100Hz                       -130dB                      -140dB
200Hz                        -138dB                     -142dB
400Hz                        -145dB                     -148dB
1000Hz                      -150dB                      -153dB
10000Hz                    -162dB                      -158dB
100000Hz                  -164dB                      -158dB

F-1 V1.0 looks great btw! But very expensive, about USD 150,00 excluding shipment.

Mar 28, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #207 of 569

Crystek CCHD 575 TOTL ???? That's NOT so obvious to me, but they are close to NDK

Pricing? About USD 25,00 for the Crysteks, USD 8,00 for the NDK's (45.xxx mHz and 49.xxx mHz even only USD 4,00 at Jlsounds)

F-1 V1.0 looks great btw! But very expensive, about USD 150,00 excluding shipment.

I meant totl for Crystek - as the 575 appears to have better in audio band levels to the 957.  But you are right below approx 2200Hz the NDK SD are better.  What will be cool is I will have both and can easily switch between the two.  $150 and no case - but if it betters the $450 PUC Lite that would be a huge win.  And it's cheaper then the Pro3a.

Note the Xilinx FPGA noise isolation similar to the Tanly and Hyrda Z.  But using the XU208 vs the U8

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #209 of 569

I meant totl for Crystek - as the 575 appears to have better in audio band levels to the 957.  But you are right below approx 2200Hz the NDK SD are better.  What will be cool is I will have both and can easily switch between the two.  $150 and no case - but if it betters the $450 PUC Lite that would be a huge win.  And it's cheaper then the Pro3a.

Note the Xilinx FPGA noise isolation similar to the Tanly and Hyrda Z.  But using the XU208 vs the U8

Yes, I saw the Xilinx, it's VERY promising! Hope it can be fed with seperate psu rails to perform at it's best. That's what most good DDC's lack, seperate power feeds,,,,,

Mar 28, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #210 of 569

NDK's are by far the best option. clearly when comparing to crystek.

the low end all the way to 1000Hz are quite important as no other clocks come close to this performance. -13dB less for 10Hz is very significant, and this is comparing to an already stellar performance crystek!  NDK's are definitely the best option. And as you said, the cost difference is also a factor. this is a no brainer if you were designing a DDC the choice would would be NDK. 

I'm quite happy with how my DIU8 sounds with the NDK's i've installed.  

Too bad there isn't any of those new Xilinx chipsets that are using NDK's. Otherwise i'd might be interested to give them a go.

those IFI products are quite neat if you need them. I own just about one of each. well specifically the Ipurifier2, Dc Ipurifier, and the dc wall wart 12v model.

I tried the Ipurfier2 inline after my Intona before going into my DIU8 yet experience no change...total bummer. I'll be using this in my wifes setup.

I am however using the DC ipurfier with my teddy pardo lps and it did help a tiny bit, as the teddy is known to have a few spikes of noise down in the lower freq, but maybe this is all in my mind. I'm going to use this device in my new dac build (dual dam1021's with luckit waveiO and hdmi i2s input) the teddy will power the waveIO, and Hynes will power the dac's.

the last device, the dc wall wart from Ifi i've had for many months yet never realy thought much of it, as now it's just used to power a silly device I bought like that revive 777 thing? it's some low freq generator that certainly is a scam and waste of time and money. But at least I tried it. And it's powered by the ifi wall wart now.

All the ifi products are actually pretty damn good for the price, albeit they had little effect in my system, and some had no effect. I think my balanced A/C system tends to set the bar pretty high for having ultimately the lowest noise floor possible. :D

I'm pretty much done playing around with ddc's for the moment. The LuckIT waveIO (uses NDK's go figure, and has 7 ultra low noise voltage regulators/3 LDO's LP5900 6uV noise for clocks) will be the heart of my new dac project and I can't wait to hear it's potential. I'm sure it will take the cake and dominate all the DDC's i've heard. I almost went the round of JL sounds USBoverI2s module (also uses NDK's go figure, not sure if it has as many regulators, but does also have 3 LP5900 6uV LDO's for clocks) as it's spec'd better than everything out on the market today...yet it's not clearly the best option for my build. I know it will work, but was a bit more complicated and needed two separate PSU's to get the full effect. I may try it at a later date. But I plan to implement direct DSD with my new project... or the best dac is no dac...Acko is working on a dsd project that taps off the i2s lines to feed true native dsd out into analog. Has a lot of promise and it will be out soon. it doesn't need a dac, just a great usb module like WaveIO, Amanero etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back