DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Apr 1, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #226 of 569
  Ok, thank you!
Even though it sounds better than USB from my pc to my amp/dac it´s not as good as a 15 year old Pioneer DVD player connected to coax.
The sound from the old Pioneer is brighter and crispier with more details.
Tried both Jriver and Foobar with wasapi, ASIO and Kernel streaming.
Also bought Fidelizer Plus.
A bit dissapointed.
I don´t know if I will give up for now and accept that my PC can´t compete with a standalone player.
Maybe start looking at networkstreamers.

I read that W7 can´t compete with W10 in SQ but can´t dump W7 since I use WMC.

W7 64
Jriver/Foobar
Fidelizer Plus
Supra USB cable
Aqvox PSU
Baby Breeze DDC
Hegel H80

the best solution is to make a dual head usb cable with separate data and power. so the power goes to linear power supply the data only to your pc.
i have done this and iam sure it's the best and cheap upgrade.

i buy my linear psu with usb input 5volt for 80 dollar at taobao .

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #227 of 569

The one you bought is the baby Breeze, that is the DU-U8 minus the power supply and external I2S.

Ok, thank you!
Even though it sounds better than USB from my pc to my amp/dac it´s not as good as a 15 year old Pioneer DVD player connected to coax.
The sound from the old Pioneer is brighter and crispier with more details.
Tried both Jriver and Foobar with wasapi, ASIO and Kernel streaming.
Also bought Fidelizer Plus.
A bit dissapointed.
I don´t know if I will give up for now and accept that my PC can´t compete with a standalone player.
Maybe start looking at networkstreamers.

I read that W7 can´t compete with W10 in SQ but can´t dump W7 since I use WMC.

W7 64
Jriver/Foobar
Fidelizer Plus
Supra USB cable
Aqvox PSU
Baby Breeze DDC
Hegel H80

Hi Caper,

Since you received your DDC about 1 day ago, it can't be burned-in yet.
Please let it play for 150 hours and report back.

W7 indeed can't compete with W10 or server 2012. Used WMC from first version till last, W10 is a huge upgrade SQ wise.
My advise: Get rid off W7/WMC, upgrade to W10 and use JRiver as media center.

There aren't many (if at all.....) DVD-players which can outperform CA, when done the right way.

I traveled across the same road...... most of us did, and, possibilities nowadays are  unlimited, it just needs time (and money) to explore and achieve the best solutions.
That's what is keeping us busy, and happy (most of the time, hahahaha)

Regards,

Alex

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #228 of 569
After all the recent hubub about Mutec converters on other forums, I reached out and got myself a loaner of both the MC-1.2 and MC-3+ USB for review. They're traditionally used in professional audio applications but audiophiles found them.

The Mutec MC-3+ USB is the first USB to S/P-DIF converter I've used that I immediately could hear improvements with. It's so clearly better with my setup that I splurged and bought two.

I also currently have a couple other solutions here. I'd rank them as follows:

Mutec MC-3+ USB
Mutec MC-1.2 w/ power cable
CI Audio Transient MKII (USB powered. I don't have an LPSU for it)
Mutec MC-1.2 w/ USB power
Audio-GD DI-U8

Improvements are said to be gained by using a linear power supply and a Regen in front. I'm not modding this, though, and I can't discern improvements using the Regen.

To be honest, my plan was to try these high end converters, decide they were overpriced, then buy something with the new XMOS. The Mutec took me off guard.

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #229 of 569

the best solution is to make a dual head usb cable with separate data and power. so the power goes to linear power supply the data only to your pc.
i have done this and iam sure it's the best and cheap upgrade.

i buy my linear psu with usb input 5volt for 80 dollar at taobao .

I already bought a Aqvox linear psu that do about the same thing.
Cutting power from pc and provide cleaner power.
http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html
Should be pretty decent?

Apr 1, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #230 of 569

Hi Caper,

Since you received your DDC about 1 day ago, it can't be burned-in yet.
Please let it play for 150 hours and report back.

W7 indeed can't compete with W10 or server 2012. Used WMC from first version till last, W10 is a huge upgrade SQ wise.
My advise: Get rid off W7/WMC, upgrade to W10 and use JRiver as media center.

There aren't many (if at all.....) DVD-players which can outperform CA, when done the right way.

I traveled across the same road...... most of us did, and, possibilities nowadays are  unlimited, it just needs time (and money) to explore and achieve the best solutions.
That's what is keeping us busy, and happy (most of the time, hahahaha)

Regards

Alex

I really cant ditch W7 MCE.
Using a DVBT-2 TV card and encrypted channels, works perfect.
Also using my movies plugin for wmc.
I am extremely happy with how everything works, watching TV, 100% functional EPG and never misses a scheduled recording.
All my movies plays perfectly also through wmc without stuttering and perfect quality.
My wife will never EVER allow me to ditch wmc, WAF is huge.
This rig is playing TV, music, stream Netflix, movies and much more and is constantly running.
I also have a xbox 360 connected as an extender in our bedroom and it allows us to have tv and movies there also, works 100%.

Jriver should work ok as a mediacenter but it doesn´t support encrypted channels and then also I loose the TV in bedroom through the extender.

So the only option as I see it right now is to accept that audio quality is not top notch or maybe try a dualboot or buy a networkstreamer when playing music.
SQ right now is actually pretty good but I can´t ignore the fact that it can be much better.
Running a dualboot is maybe not a bad idea but it takes time to configure, buy another Windows licence and Jriver license...maybe a network streamer should be best.

For sure the DDC isn´t done burning in yet so I will let it play some day´s more.
Since the rig is on almost 24/7 it shouldn´t take long.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #231 of 569
I am extremely happy with how everything works, watching TV, 100% functional EPG and never misses a scheduled recording.
All my movies plays perfectly also through wmc without stuttering and perfect quality.
This rig is playing TV, music, stream Netflix, movies and much more and is constantly running.
I also have a xbox 360 connected as an extender in our bedroom and it allows us to have tv and movies there also, works 100%.

Jriver should work ok as a mediacenter but it doesn´t support encrypted channels and then also I loose the TV in bedroom through the extender.

So the only option as I see it right now is to accept that audio quality is not top notch or maybe try a dualboot or buy a networkstreamer when playing music.
SQ right now is actually pretty good but I can´t ignore the fact that it can be much better.
Running a dualboot is maybe not a bad idea but it takes time to configure, buy another Windows licence and Jriver license...maybe a network streamer should be best.

For sure the DDC isn´t done burning in yet so I will let it play some day´s more.

Hi Caper,

Yes, I understand, I had two DVBS cards in my WMC (FloppyDTV) and loved them. Especially the recurring recording options where great.

Dedicated soundsystem is best, even an older laptop can outperform newest systems if installed the right way (lightest possible) with SSD.
Just for audio playback. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #232 of 569

Hi Caper,

Yes, I understand, I had two DVBS cards in my WMC (FloppyDTV) and loved them. Especially the recurring recording options where great.

Dedicated soundsystem is best, even an older laptop can outperform newest systems if installed the right way (lightest possible) with SSD.
Just for audio playback. 

Yeah, I have a couple of old laptops that soon will be upgraded to newer ones.
Maybe I can use one of those just as dedicated music players.
I also used  floppydtv earlier but for dvbt, they were rock solid.

Apr 1, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #234 of 569

Is this PC you talk about a desktop or laptop? And what USB are you using? If a desktop? What motherboard and what power supply. As voltage ripple and also noise in the data line could be the culprit. And if a laptop, the same thing, but try running on battery over being plugged in to the smps.(switch mode power supply)
An intona may actually be an answer but curious to hear your response first.

A USB cable shouldn't cost much. If you have a nice cheap cable that is properly built like a supra then it will be as good or better than all the fancy dual ones like LH labs 10g or 2g. I've tested the 10g quite a bit, and own a 2g for some reason. I should sell it since I actually use supra cables currently. Fancy USB cables is not the answer. Likely you are having noise spikes in 8khz and 16khz from the USB port itself.
Again... I've mentioned the average PC has noisy data packets at 8khz and measured around -110dB. The intona nearly elimates it around -145dB or so. Problem is USB itself, most devices have the noisy data packet issue... I wouldn't doubt 95% or more are at least a little noisy. And most are very noisy. Hence why people prefer coax, bnc, optical etc. but USB could be better if its implemented correctly.

I used HDMI yet still have a DDC that starts with the USB input. I'm using the intona and have an improvement even with my fancy Paul Hynes linear psu , Paul pang v3 ocxo USB 3.0 card. It's crazy it still helps... Simply due to its ability to get rid of the noisey data packets.
I have the ifi ipurifier2 and ifi DC purifier and they don't work as well as the intona. For whatever it's worth.

They do work well though. If you want to get better power than what your linear psu is doing, add a ifi DC purifier in the mix. But it won't fix USB data noise.
The I purifier2 should help though, doesn't seem to be quite as effective though.

Apr 2, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #235 of 569
Is this PC you talk about a desktop or laptop? And what USB are you using? If a desktop? What motherboard and what power supply. As voltage ripple and also noise in the data line could be the culprit. And if a laptop, the same thing, but try running on battery over being plugged in to the smps.(switch mode power supply)
An intona may actually be an answer but curious to hear your response first.

They do work well though. If you want to get better power than what your linear psu is doing, add a ifi DC purifier in the mix. But it won't fix USB data noise.
The I purifier2 should help though, doesn't seem to be quite as effective though.

My computer is a Intel Nuc D34010WYK with SSD.
http://www.intel.se/content/www/se/sv/nuc/nuc-kit-d34010wyk-board-d34010wyb.html
Driven by a FSP 230-->19v power adaptor.
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-barebones-replacement-FSP065-REB-FSP065-10AABA/dp/B00T4BX0IU
I don´t know if there are better 19v psu´s available to the nuc?
For the fun of it...I could try a 19v powerbank, they are not that expensive and could have other use for it also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/58800mAh-Multi-Function-Car-Jump-Starter-Power-Bank-Battery-Charger-Booster-12V-/361482067482?tfrom=361450054301&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined
That one has 19v output and should work.

On the backport USB port I have a Jitterbug connected and then Supra USB cable that goes to the Aqvox splitter and in to the Baby Brreeze DDC.
Oehlbach coax cable in to the amp/dac, Hegel H80.
Can´t really hear any difference in sound if the Jitterbug is used or not.

The I Purifier2 seems reasonably prized compared to the Intona.
But maybe try that Intona anyway if you say its good.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #237 of 569
Yes, always having fun :wink_face:

I had some troubles getting I2S input AK4495SEQ working with RPI and Amanero board. Finally decided to put back isolated XMOS which works (and sounds) perfectly.

Btw, abandoned Jplay, since I am in SinglePC mode now, JPlay isn't of any use anymore. It even seemed  to degraded SQ on this SinglePC (the HP laptop),
so I must say, you were right :wink_face:

Will try RPI with my other AK4495SEQ dac's (NO DSD). Thanks for the RuneAudio tip, but I prefer headless player, so will try PiCoreplayer which also supports RPI3 by now :bigsmile_face:

The Ian FiFo II is a comprehensive reclocker which rebuilds I2S completely. Ian has a little board to connect to RPI, so you don't need HifiBerry DAC+Pro for it's I2S signal.
The FiFo also needs an isolator board between FiFo II and DAC.

Other interesting projects are the "Direct DSD" projects from Acko and Nautibuoy at diyaudio

Nautibuoy's project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac.html

Acko's Direct Drive DSD project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/280763-direct-drive-dsd.html

Acko's Amanero/Reclocker project: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/227502-amanero-isolator-reclocker-gb.html

Wont comment on jplay and risk tbe wrath of the 'goldenear' hordes :)

Afaik all those audio 'optimized' rpi distros are headless. But the picoplayer one seems to be the slimest indeed. And btw most distros use Mpd as player. Slim, headless, low level and comes with clients for all phone/tablet/pc os-es http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Clients. I'd say you should give it a try.

Ianfifo sounds like the best device for your project: cheap, small and fully customizable on all levels. Hope to hear more about it from you soon.

As about the direct-dsd 'dacs' that sounds like a great idea too. IIRC, lampizator has a pricey & well reviewed device which works exactly like that. Only problem here is the pcm2dsd conversion on rpi. Not sure if there any good convertors for linux .. and it could be too hard a job for the small rpi-s. But I guess it has to be tried first.

Have a great weekend. Hope you have the same amazingly sunny weather there.

Apr 2, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #238 of 569

I had some troubles getting I2S input AK4495SEQ working with RPI and Amanero board. Finally decided to put back isolated XMOS which works (and sounds) perfectly.

Check the master clock (MCLK)  frequency on the Amanero is the same as the XMOS, this is adjustable on the Amanero.
Use a scope or put the 4495 into Auto Setting mode (Pin16/ACKS=H).
In auto setting mode, MCLK frequency and sampling frequency are detected automatically.

The DIYINHK Isolated XMOS is a little bit better but it is always good to get to the bottom of why things are not working

RPI will not work, no MCLK unless you have Ian's FIFO or the TP Cronus inline.

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #239 of 569

Check the master clock (MCLK)  frequency on the Amanero is the same as the XMOS, this is adjustable on the Amanero.
Use a scope or put the 4495 into Auto Setting mode (Pin16/ACKS=H).
In auto setting mode, MCLK frequency and sampling frequency are detected automatically.

The DIYINHK Isolated XMOS is a little bit better but it is always good to get to the bottom of why things are not working

RPI will not work, no MCLK unless you have Ian's FIFO or the TP Cronus inline.

Hi B0bb,

Thanks for helping me out. Could indeed be that ACKS is low, will check this when I receive my dac back, it's staying at a friends house for another week.
Since I use RPI3 + HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, it has MCLK, and it's same frequencies as isolated xmos, at least, same audio XO frequencies as isolated xmos.

RPI3 and DAC+Pro are burning-in right now, next thursday I will post listening impression. I'm using an older AK4495SEQ without all the seperate psu rails
my own dac has.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #240 of 569
F1/Xmos needs to consume 5V via its USB,

有關 'F-1 XMOS USB數字界面'

它需要從USB口輸入5V電嗎?

00:04​

xiu305470199

你好

xiu305470199

需要的

有關 'F-1 XMOS USB數字界面'

用板上隔离电源模块時它同時需要從USB口輸入5V電嗎?