DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Apr 5, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #256 of 569
This is a pretty concise read  and I think not posted here yet... has some info on packet noise, signal integrity, cable/connector impedance, etc..
http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-audio-gremlins-exposed-beyond-1s-and-0s-ifi-audio#1MxBk7mve7ph6ZpM.97

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #257 of 569
  This is a pretty concise read  and I think not posted here yet... has some info on packet noise, signal integrity, cable/connector impedance, etc..
http://www.audiostream.com/content/usb-audio-gremlins-exposed-beyond-1s-and-0s-ifi-audio#1MxBk7mve7ph6ZpM.97

Hi Tom,

Thank you for sharing this link with us, it explains a lot!! It also explains why I am not very fond of USB for Audio in general....

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #258 of 569
For the ones who finds my Raspberry Pi 3 + Hifiberry DAC+ Pro project interesting:

After 5 days of burn-in time I have to conclude that "first impressions", until now, FAR exceeds what I've expected!!

What I did:

1- I took a basic RPI3
2- I took a HifiBerry DAC+ Pro and soldered a 2-pin header for external 5V power, and a 5-pin header for I2S output.
3- Mounted HifiBerry DAC+ Pro on Pi3's top
4- From Hifiberry website I downloaded latest installer and installed PicorePlayer for DAC+Pro on MicroSD card
5- Connected I2S to an older AK4495SEQ dac
6- Powered RPI3+DAC+ Pro with ONE 5V (diyinhk 0.8uV ultra low noise psu), so NO power input thru RPI's Micro-USB input

Things to consider:

The AK4495SEQ dac I used for this test was a previous one I used before I started my "Monster Dac project".
This dac is sounding very well, but has an integrated power supply on board, it's a very big difference in SQ in comparison with my "Monster Dac"
It's native SQ (connected to diyinhk isolated Xmos - just as in "Monster Dac") is a much less open sound character, less detailed and more compressed soundstage.
Low frequencies are not that detailed, mid frequencies are not as natural, and it is not that airy (black around voices and instruments).

On this AK4495SEQ dac I used a NEW "simple LME49720 - plastic version" opamp as output stage. This one hasn't burned-in yet too.

The previous impressions:

Listening to this set during the past days was not that good at all, at least, in comparison with my "Monster dac". It changed every day in a positive way, but it didn't please me at all.
(Don't forget that I am used to a very open soundstage, very natural sounding, very airy, just better than any analog I have ever heard, with massive Bass control which reaches to the
deepest registers I've ever heard (and felt...))
The soundfield was a bit fuzzy, no pinpoint precision, lack of bass control - but more powerful deep-bass. Voices seemed to sound different, not sure how to explain.

So, how did the RPI perform yesterday, after 5 days of burn-in time (needs at least 7 days):

What I heard yesterday was amazing. I didn't expect this at all. It seemed that the soundstage had widened, A LOT, maybe even wider than my monster dac!
There were several occasions where I heard lot's of phase-tricks in recordings, sounds which seemed to went out of the room, behind my head, everywhere!
There wasn't any listening fatigue anymore, pinpoint precision was almost as good as my monster dac, bass was VERY deep and powerful, but still lacks control.

But, what amazed me the most was it's sound character in total, not sure how to describe it, it's like, when comparing to my monster dac, the sound is more massive,
it surrounds you and it seems voices have much more body and impact. It's almost as if my monster dac is sounding pinched, more like a studio recording, while RPI is more
like a live concert, more rhythm and pace, it's just there!

I can't imagine how it can sound when properly powered, fully burned-in, and connected to my monster dac instead if the isolated USB XMOS I've built in.

I expect bass control to be better in the coming days because I know this opamp really needs it's burn-in time, and pinpoint precision and details will also gain.

These are wild days in Audioland, heard a lot of "rumors" of using rpi for audio, but now I know why, it has a phenomenal potential, and, I will explore those completely 
wink_face.gif

To be continued.....

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #263 of 569
I guess I've been away from the DDC stuff for a while, but when I went to check the Tanly USB, XMOS, I2s link on taobao is said the item was no longer for sale. I can't find any other links to the Tanly and I always had thoughts to buy it. Did something happen while I stopped paying attention there? Is there a new one coming based on that new xu208 chip? Any info?

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #264 of 569
  Alex,

Are you connecting you RPI3 to your PC via CAT7? or USB cable?? Please advise.

Regards,

Riemann

Hello Riemann,

I have to take some shots, eh, meant, pictures this evening 
biggrin.gif
 Will post them later!

RPI is connected to my home network, on router from Internet provider, as is my laptop with LMS server on it.
And yes, I use CAT7 with good quality connectors.

So, absolutely NOOOOOO Usb 
wink_face.gif

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #265 of 569
  I guess I've been away from the DDC stuff for a while, but when I went to check the Tanly USB, XMOS, I2s link on taobao is said the item was no longer for sale. I can't find any other links to the Tanly and I always had thoughts to buy it. Did something happen while I stopped paying attention there? Is there a new one coming based on that new xu208 chip? Any info?

Hi Benny,

Xingser SU-1 would be your choice for now ($300), OR, switch to RPI 
wink_face.gif

Take a look at their website, they also have the F-1 module which seems to be very good, but has a steep pricetag for a single module ($150).

Thought SU-1 is available from May 2016

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #266 of 569

Hi Benny,

wink_face.gif

Take a look at their website, they also have the F-1 module which seems to be very good, but has a steep pricetag for a single module ($150).

Yeah, I saw that and was checking it out. No pics of the internals yet, as far as I've seen on the thread. Did Rb get his yet, I saw he was ordering one?

Thanks for answering though, Alex. I was also wondering if anyone else knew the Tanly was "gone"? The feedback on it was really high and the work inside the chassis with PCB isolation and whatever was great. I wonder if the SU-1 will turn out to be as well done. Maybe it just fell out of favour in the Chinese market because new things came out and that's how things work here?

I'm always at a crossroads when looking at the China-fi stuff. Like everything else here, tech moves FAST. Like leading edge kind of stuff. But as we all know in the audio industry, it's not the part numbers that matter, it's the implementation. The guts of the parts can only take you so far, what makes the real difference is understanding and implementation. And it's nearly impossible for these China-fi companies to have that skilled implementation when things move so fast here. Some do, but that's what makes me go "hmm" about the SU-1. I hope it's good, though. Be happy to get something new. Looks like it's got the same issue as the Gustard I2s data and phase swap, according to the copied drawing.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #267 of 569

Hi Benny,

wink_face.gif

Yeah, I saw that and was checking it out. No pics of the internals yet, as far as I've seen on the thread. Did Rb get his yet, I saw he was ordering one?

Thanks for answering though, Alex. I was also wondering if anyone else knew the Tanly was "gone"? The feedback on it was really high and the work inside the chassis with PCB isolation and whatever was great. I wonder if the SU-1 will turn out to be as well done. Maybe it just fell out of favour in the Chinese market because new things came out and that's how things work here?

I'm always at a crossroads when looking at the China-fi stuff. Like everything else here, tech moves FAST. Like leading edge kind of stuff. But as we all know in the audio industry, it's not the part numbers that matter, it's the implementation. The guts of the parts can only take you so far, what makes the real difference is understanding and implementation. And it's nearly impossible for these China-fi companies to have that skilled implementation when things move so fast here. Some do, but that's what makes me go "hmm" about the SU-1. I hope it's good, though. Be happy to get something new. Looks like it's got the same issue as the Gustard I2s data and phase swap, according to the copied drawing.

Hi Benny,

Don't know when rb will receive his, and you are right, no pictures of the internals yet, but when reading how they designed it, it could be a killer.

Since technologies moves and improves like it does nowadays, it's always difficult to keep up with the latest specs. I suppose Tanly didn't sell that well anymore,
especially after all the other devices who popped-up and seemed a real bargain.

I couldn't find it anymore too, maybe ask our well known and appraised member hgpsemaj ( Riemann ), if Tanly is available, he can tell you, and, if you're looking for something special,
or need to communicate with a Chinese manufacturer or seller, he can help you as well!

For me, Xingser looks VERY promising, it has all good technologies combined, but, not sure if psu design is adequate enough.

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #268 of 569

Hi Benny, seems he is working on a new design, see comments since late last year:
http://tanly-audio.blogspot.hk/
You can send an email to his gmail account.. English is no problem...

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #269 of 569

I just communicated with Tanly, Audio, they said Xmos/Tanly is still available for the price of RMB2900, and their latest image:

Apr 6, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #270 of 569
These two combination?  :L3000:

Anyone have a link to this second device ? More info and specs? Price? Looks like some kind of i2s connection. Kind of interesting as I'm working on a soekris dual Dac build. I plan to use the waveIO but need or weigh options :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back