DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 7, 12 Noon-4:30 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Oct 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #76 of 141
I've seen some DACs like the LH Labs stuff and that Grace one thats on massdrop have built in DSPs to add soundstage, but I wasn't under the impression that the multibit dacs were applying DSPs to add soundstage as well.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #77 of 141
  I've seen some DACs like the LH Labs stuff and that Grace one thats on massdrop have built in DSPs to add soundstage, but I wasn't under the impression that the multibit dacs were applying DSPs to add soundstage as well.

This makes sense!

I've been trying to place my finger on it. It wasn't as-if the Mojo was outclassing the Gungnir. It was more that it was doing what my brain wanted it to do, in contrast to the Gungnir that was simply doing. DSP makes so much sense. It's still very clean, non-fatiguing, with extremely good detail retrieval. I am starting to suspect more so a little DSP in the CEntrance too. Now I'm more intrigued to have people listen.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #78 of 141
This makes sense!

I've been trying to place my finger on it. It wasn't as-if the Mojo was outclassing the Gungnir. It was more that it was doing what my brain wanted it to do, in contrast to the Gungnir that was simply doing. DSP makes so much sense. It's still very clean, non-fatiguing, with extremely good detail retrieval. I am starting to suspect more so a little DSP in the CEntrance too. Now I'm more intrigued to have people listen.

So do you think the mojo has some kind of integrated dsp or is it just using some kind of crossfeed?

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #79 of 141
So do you think the mojo has some kind of integrated dsp or is it just using some kind of crossfeed?

Honestly not sure because my brain turns to mush when trying to be analytical while listening to the Mojo. It just does what I want it to do, and on a variety of headphones:

1. AKG K7xx: average impedance and voltage requirements, but high current
  2. Audeze EL-8: easy to drive, low impedance, but often treble seems harsh
  3. Sennheiser HD650: impedance varies wildly from 300 to over 500 ohms, often sounding imbalanced

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #81 of 141
  A new frontier for those who use Toslink cables for your portable DAP and amps:  the $33 per inch barrier has been broken!  See Head-Fi front page, the "Silver Dragon".

Yeah 
frown.gif

They only want $75 for the "Black Dragon" with Coax connection. But then they up the price another $10 when I tell them I'm trying to connect it to my Mojo. I honestly do not know how much I would utilize the FiiO X3 to Chord Mojo connection, so I'm finding $85 a little too high to trial a 6-inch cable. And I feel as-if I'm being charged extra just because there's so much activity in the Mojo thread - seems like unfair price gouging to me.

But I'm also not finding other options with 3.5mm 4-pole on one end and 3.5mm 2-pole on the other. How to get this cable was definitely on my list of questions to ask you guys at the meet.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #82 of 141
I have tracking information on the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, thus I finalized my original post. Please bring discs if you want hear something of your own. Someone at the last meet was asking about transport options, which is why I am using the same transport for the show as I currently use at home. Or if you're special like @gandhisfist you can simply plug in your own digital source directly to the DAC
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #83 of 141
I have tracking information on the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, thus I finalized my original post. Please bring discs if you want hear something of your own. Someone at the last meet was asking about transport options, which is why I am using the same transport for the show as I currently use at home. Or if you're special like @gandhisfist
you can simply plug in your own digital source directly to the DAC :p  

Finally some recognition for how special I am.

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #84 of 141
@sheldaze

I saw the announcement for the update to the element that allows for an analog line out instead of analog line in, is that something you can send your unit in for upgrade for?  Are you planning to take advantage of it?  Or is it an entirely new sku?

Nov 2, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #85 of 141
  @sheldaze

I saw the announcement for the update to the element that allows for an analog line out instead of analog line in, is that something you can send your unit in for upgrade for?  Are you planning to take advantage of it?  Or is it an entirely new sku?

No clue? It certainly hurts resale value without it, so perhaps I should ask.

EDIT: Just looking at the check-out, seems the output is a new feature, costing an additional $20. Although IIRC the original price was the cost of the current model with the new $20. The default price is now a $20 discount. I'll probably just sell it stating that it was the original model with analog input.

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #86 of 141

No clue? It certainly hurts resale value without it, so perhaps I should ask.

EDIT: Just looking at the check-out, seems the output is a new feature, costing an additional $20. Although IIRC the original price was the cost of the current model with the new $20. The default price is now a $20 discount. I'll probably just sell it stating that it was the original model with analog input.

I was looking at a seller listing for one and apparently its a mod to the rca jacks?  Not sure how it works, did you hear back from JDS about whether they can do that for you?

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #87 of 141

I was looking at a seller listing for one and apparently its a mod to the rca jacks?  Not sure how it works, did you hear back from JDS about whether they can do that for you?

No. I did not ask. There is a thread where someone else has asked the question, but I've seen no response there. I'm subscribed to the thread, so I'll let you know if I see anything.

On the original release, you could have it modified at the factory for RCA output (as-in to use The Element as a DAC). Now it seems they have added a button (or something) to allow the user to switch. If you're interested in that feature, it's probably best to buy new. My guess is they will not let us "oldies" send it back for the update
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #88 of 141

No. I did not ask. There is a thread where someone else has asked the question, but I've seen no response there. I'm subscribed to the thread, so I'll let you know if I see anything.

On the original release, you could have it modified at the factory for RCA output (as-in to use The Element as a DAC). Now it seems they have added a button (or something) to allow the user to switch. If you're interested in that feature, it's probably best to buy new. My guess is they will not let us "oldies" send it back for the update
frown.gif

Heh, i try to avoid the "buy new" tax by buying used.  I actually probably don't have any use for the element, i just liked it when i tried it and its making my mind wander.  Just sold some stuff so i'm in the market for something new, thinking about headphones, but also thinking about source equipment.

Was originally thinking I'd get an LCD-X, then I thought about getting HD800s just so I could spend more time with them to understand why they are so well regarded.  Now i'm thinking about the Ether as well.  If I can make it to the meet this weekend that might help me decide.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #89 of 141
I've been thinking about this for a little while now and I was going to bring it up with folks at the meet but thought it wouldn't hurt to run it by here anyway.  How would people feel about a lending library type concept for headphones for the group in this area?  I know I would really like to get some extended listening time with some other people's headphones outside of meet conditions (which we know are not ideal, especially for all the open back cans).  Would anyone else be interested in this?  Not limiting this to just headphones either, I'd like to make amps and dacs fair game as well if people are interested in doing that.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #90 of 141
I've been thinking about this for a little while now and I was going to bring it up with folks at the meet but thought it wouldn't hurt to run it by here anyway.  How would people feel about a lending library type concept for headphones for the group in this area?  I know I would really like to get some extended listening time with some other people's headphones outside of meet conditions (which we know are not ideal, especially for all the open back cans).  Would anyone else be interested in this?  Not limiting this to just headphones either, I'd like to make amps and dacs fair game as well if people are interested in doing that.

It's a good idea. I probably would not be the most active participant in it, because (despite some evidence to the contrary), I'm not looking to change/upgrade very often. But would be willing to lend and borrow with this local community.

Edit: is anyone bringing a Senn HD700 to the meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back