DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 7, 12 Noon-4:30 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Nov 3, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #91 of 141
It's a good idea. I probably would not be the most active participant in it, because (despite some evidence to the contrary), I'm not looking to change/upgrade very often. But would be willing to lend and borrow with this local community.

Edit: is anyone bringing a Senn HD700 to the meet?

No need to upgrade often, I just have an itch to try something different sometimes. I would love to borrow some of the headphones usually on display at meets just to form more detailed impressions of them, not necessarily because I want to buy them for myself.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #92 of 141
  I've been thinking about this for a little while now and I was going to bring it up with folks at the meet but thought it wouldn't hurt to run it by here anyway.  How would people feel about a lending library type concept for headphones for the group in this area?  I know I would really like to get some extended listening time with some other people's headphones outside of meet conditions (which we know are not ideal, especially for all the open back cans).  Would anyone else be interested in this?  Not limiting this to just headphones either, I'd like to make amps and dacs fair game as well if people are interested in doing that.

It's a good idea, only I think it is difficult.

Lending from a company, at least you have a staff to fix headphones that get broken during the trial (i.e. Oppo has lending of their own headphones). Or from the well-known Lending Library, I'm sure they have insurance policy in place, and they're in it for a profit. They make enough money from the sales to cover their more-likely frequent returns of headphones back to the manufacturer. Just not clear how it would work, in the case of damages. And who is to say when and where on wear and tear.

A simple example, my friend who I visited recently per the show in Nashville, was in the DC area. In fact he was staying at the apartment complex physically attached to the building where I work. So the headphones I let him hear did not have to travel far at all. He noticed that my Denon headphones (from eBay) had a short in the cable. He thought he'd broken my headphones. When it turned out they were broken from day-one I received them. Only I did not have the cable angled in such a way as the cause the short. When you get into these kinds of "curfuffles" who knows where it'll end - likely not good.

I could certainly see us going in for a group deal, say to cover the cost of returning a headphone. But even then, you usually have a quick turn-around requirement of say a week, which is generally plenty for one person. But for a group, I dunno...

::

I was actually thinking this may be the most quiet meet I have ever attended - in both the good and bad sense of having so few. I had hoped you guys would be interested in hearing the Carbon. At least I think Barry might have a listen, and tell me if he's really going to sell. Perhaps we can get in some truly critical listening in - here's to hoping!

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #93 of 141
I agree. I have been trying to figure out a way to handle liability in that sense. I would like to figure something out and am looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts on how we could make something like this work.

Hopefully this meet is pretty quiet and we can get some quality listening time in. Unless I get surprised this week, it looks like I am going to be able to make it.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #95 of 141
Sounds great! Both posts ^^

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #96 of 141
Oh additional caveat to the headphone lending thing, I wouldn't want it to be a public or large thing, just something for those of us that are pretty regular here and at meets.  I certainly don't want to setup a headphone lending library like the commercial one, was just kicking around the idea of more-formal-than-borrowing process we could put together for the people we see semi-regularly at these events.

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #97 of 141
Well, stopped by Gifted Listener Audio to listen to the Ayre Codex this afternoon. I'm not sure I quite convinced Tom to let me borrow it for the meet, though he said he'd think about it. I'll give him a call on Friday to ask for his decision.

Having said that, I will be bringing a pair of Torque Audio t402v's.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #100 of 141
So does no one buy compact discs these days?

I'm still bringing a disc player, though now changed to the Marantz SA8260. I may bring a couple of SACD discs too, just to show that I haven't gone hard-core PCM and Multibit. And I would certainly appreciate if you have any good discs to bring.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #101 of 141

I'm still bringing a disc player, though now changed to the Marantz SA8260. I may bring a couple of SACD discs too, just to show that I haven't gone hard-core PCM and Multibit. And I would certainly appreciate if you have any good discs to bring.

I buy CDs, but even when I buy them, I tend to rip them to flac with EAC and listen to them that way since I don't have a dedicated CD player and only one of my computers even has a disc drive.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #102 of 141

I still buy CDs. I brought my disc spinner (Ayre C-5xeMP) to a meet last year but I don't think anybody knew how to use it...
dt880smile.png
I've got a few Telarc Soundstream and some jazz SACDs (e.g. Kind of Blue, Take Five, Getz / Gilberto). I also burned some HDtracks downloads to DVD-A. I can bring them along if interested.

Nov 4, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #103 of 141

I buy CDs, but even when I buy them, I tend to rip them to flac with EAC and listen to them that way since I don't have a dedicated CD player and only one of my computers even has a disc drive.

Anything you would like to bring would be great
cool.gif

I still buy CDs. I brought my disc spinner (Ayre C-5xeMP) to a meet last year but I don't think anybody knew how to use it...
dt880smile.png
I've got a few Telarc Soundstream and some jazz SACDs (e.g. Kind of Blue, Take Five, Getz / Gilberto). I also burned some HDtracks downloads to DVD-A. I can bring them along if interested.

Yeah, I was debating between bringing my Marantz SA8260 and my Toshiba SD9200 (DVD-Audio player), but the Toshiba would need a video connection to navigate through the DVD menu. I have a wonderful quadraphonic version of Dark Side of the Moon on DVD-Audio, which was only available via Internet download. So yeah, no DVD-Audio discs from me this go round...

I also figured there are so few buttons on the Marantz that anyone can press play. I have Kind of Blue and Take Five - would love to hear the Getz / Gilberto disc. Please bring
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back