DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 7, 12 Noon-4:30 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Nov 6, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #121 of 141
  Believe it or not, Audeze is starting to make stuff. I got a discount from the dealer, but here's the link:

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/el-8-balanced-cable-pono-sony-pha-3

I'm really looking forward to their lightning cable amplifier and DAC cable 
biggrin.gif

Wow, those are actually pretty reasonable as cables go, sad to see there isn't a 4-pin XLR variant on their website though, guess these really aren't for desktop use and are strictly aimed at portable use.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #122 of 141
  Wow, those are actually pretty reasonable as cables go, sad to see there isn't a 4-pin XLR variant on their website though, guess these really aren't for desktop use and are strictly aimed at portable use.

The topology of the Pono is a little odd. It requires certain impedance (not too low or high) and lower than normal power requirements, categories which many headphones do not fit. I think going balanced will often give the output a little more kick, and is particularly helpful for planar headphones. So balanced from Pono to EL-8 makes sense!

But I still think the EL-8 really doesn't require a lot of power, by the standard of most headphones. It needs less power than both my HD650 and K7XX headphones. It can be driven from an iPhone, if you like how the iPhone sounds. So no, I don't think there will be much product for balanced connectors built for the EL-8. You can buy them, but I'm not interested at this time.

Nov 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #123 of 141
Maybe its because the Nexus 6 just doesn't have very good audio circuitry, but I find the difference going from my phone to my DAP does a great deal to improve the response in the low end.  Out of my phone it has no punch, give it enough power and it hits you with subbass like a planar should.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #124 of 141
Anyone have a Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack? I started running into some hilarious clipping issues with my O2, dynamic recordings, and power hungry cans even with the safe 3.something x gain option.

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #126 of 141
  I don't think anyone has that particular stack, but there should be plenty of amps that can drive hungry cans.  What recordings are you hearing clipping issues on?

Anything mastered dynamic and quiet regardless of gain with the HD 650s using WASAPI or ASIO in exclusive mode out of foobar. Exclusive mode is not bypassing the windows volume level for some reason though. Pushed to louder volume levels with DirectSound, no clipping but horrible imaging. Hard panned guitars on DirectSound sound very diffuse and wrong. I first noticed the clipping on a 10 db of dynamic range, -2 Peak, average -20 RMS keyboard FLAC track with no low subbass and not even at the peaks. Driver or hardware issue?

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #130 of 141
@sheldaze Your list does not show the JDS Element as one you're bringing, but you did mention boxing it up for the meet. I'm eager to give the Element a spin, if you'd be willing to tote it along. Sorry for the late notice, no worries if you can't fit it the tote.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #131 of 141
So I've got good news and bad news. The good news is I convinced Tom @ Gifted Listener to let me borrow the Ayre Codex for the meet. The bad news is that he's only willing to let it go at 2:30 p.m. So that means we'd probably only have it at the meet for about 1.5 hrs tops.

I put it to you, esteemed DC area head-fi'ers: is it worth it for me to drive out and back to pick it up?

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #132 of 141
  @sheldaze Your list does not show the JDS Element as one you're bringing, but you did mention boxing it up for the meet. I'm eager to give the Element a spin, if you'd be willing to tote it along. Sorry for the late notice, no worries if you can't fit it the tote.

I quite literally just finished packing The Element!

I'll bring some extra cables so I can feed it and the Liquid Carbon. No problems!

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #133 of 141
  So I've got good news and bad news. The good news is I convinced Tom @ Gifted Listener to let me borrow the Ayre Codex for the meet. The bad news is that he's only willing to let it go at 2:30 p.m. So that means we'd probably only have it at the meet for about 1.5 hrs tops.

I put it to you, esteemed DC area head-fi'ers: is it worth it for me to drive out and back to pick it up?

I may be in the one-vote category, but I'm really happy with Pono and would love to hear this! It's my understanding it is Pono with power!
But it's up to you, how much of the meet you're willing to miss 
frown.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #134 of 141

I'm neutral on this, there are things I am more interested in hearing than this at the meet but would welcome it as well if its not too much trouble.

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #135 of 141

Thanks for the suggestion on the AC inverter--it would be handy to have around. My intent is to give people a chance to hear the Yggdrasil as it normally sounds. I really appreciated that Smitty kept his on a UPC for the drive to the last meet--it allowed me to make an informed decision on a very expensive piece of gear. For whatever reason, the Yggdrasil needs a lot of time to warm up--something I haven't found with any of my other gear.

Thanks to Sheldaze, I picked up a reasonably-priced UPC that will also serve as a surge protector for the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil, and get my Yggdrasil to the meet fully cooked.
wink.gif
And the beeping is disabled. 

I'm not sure if this matter, but does your UPS produce true sine wave AC on battery?  I would spend a little extra and get one of the cyperpower UPS which produces true sine wave AC on battery.
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W

Just a thought, I'm from CA so won't be joining the meet.  Have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back