DC-Area Head-Fi Meet - Saturday, November 7, 12 Noon-4:30 PM, George Mason Regional Library
Oct 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #47 of 141
  Looks my Bifrost should be back in my hands today.  Will post impressions once I've had some time with it.

Meaning you're going to post something that looks like this:

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #49 of 141
So received the unit about an hour ago, definitely notice a difference in separation and imaging, its subtle but immediate.  Overall I believe its a worthwhile upgrade.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #50 of 141
  So received the unit about an hour ago, definitely notice a difference in separation and imaging, its subtle but immediate.  Overall I believe its a worthwhile upgrade.

I wonder if somebody will bring a non-multibit Bifrost so folks can do an A/B...

Oct 23, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #52 of 141

Was it subtle straight off the truck? Have you been able to listen again after the 4-hours of recommended warm up?

There was a storm the night mine arrived, so I could not start my 4-hours of warmup until late. I tried to listen every hour for the change, but fell asleep after 2 hours. I did not hear anything beyond 2 hours, but I also don't have Golden Ears 
tongue.gif

Perhaps I have Bronze Ears because I did not hear the Yggdrasil change either 
blink.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #54 of 141
Yes it was subtle straight off the truck. It's been warming up now and I haven't really noticed any additional difference after warm up.

I would normally ask which headphones, but I know your group of headphones tends to have more air and highs than mine. I had two initial issues 1) my amplifier was kind of syrupy 2) my headphones were also rather dark. Thus I could hear the change on a single headphone, which was apparently bright. My suggestion would be to focus on the things that are bright, brassy, fast and see if they sound less digital, less harsh, more real?

To my ears, those high frequency sounds used to cause quick fatigue - much less so on the Multibit. In fact I have to be more attentive to volume because decibels are still bad, but I don't sense volume the same way. I used to shy away from cymbals, and now love to listen to the tzzzzz of their decay.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #55 of 141
Mostly been switching off between the K7XX and the HE-400i on it for comparison.  I don't think I have as much of a fatigue issues on those brighter, brassier notes, and don't have a good enough memory of what it sounded like before i shipped it off, but i didn't notice much difference in that region, maybe a slight smoothness, but i can't really tell, and I passed the golden ears challenge 
tongue.gif
.  I don't have an issue with my amp being syruppy anymore either, lyr2 with lisst seems pretty neutral to me, definitely brighter on the top end than it is with tubes, but i missed that with tubes, so i prefer the lisst anyway.

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #57 of 141
The new Hifi...I mean Sennheiser HD800S sounds like the HD800 update I've been waiting for. Really hope I can try that out soon, definitely interested.

Did you know that the 'S' stands for stealth? All those military projects Sennheiser's been working on really paid off in the extended bass and smooth treble.

(I kid, I kid... or am I?)

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #59 of 141
Agreed…the 800 Schwarz is already burning a hole in my wallet 
frown.gif

Semi-serious question though - what is supposed to be wrong with the FiiO X3? It came pre-loaded with Dr. Chesky's Binaural Sound show, and I like sound from the headphone output. What gives? I thought I wasn't supposed to be happy? It cost too little, and in this hobby lost cost is supposed to mean unhappy, right 
tongue.gif

::

The purpose was to provide a good COAX digital output that could be walked around the room. I think it does this, so I'm not going to make any changes (firmware, music, etc.) until after the show. You've got some Chesky available for digital source!

EDIT: Perhaps the S in 800S has been revealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back