Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
May 21, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #316 of 1,160
Just noticed my TG-38s match my sunglasses.

IMG_20140521_081643.jpg

May 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #319 of 1,160
May 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #321 of 1,160
Thanks Ben! I will post it in a minute.

May 21, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #322 of 1,160
I received my TG-38S today and have been listening to them a bit on both my iPhone with 320 kb mp3 and on my DX50 with FLAC, no EQ on both devices.

To be quite honest, I am a bit underwhelmed after all the praise the buds received here.
I first compared them to my BEB 328R, and they sounded really thin in comparison, with very recessed mids and the tizzyness in the highsmany have described. Bass is also much better on the BEBs and reaches audibly lower.
I have been listening to my Sennheiser MX580 all day at work, and each and every time I'm blown away by their sound. Crisp, detailed, great bass - this is the sound I'm looking for, and the Tingos don't have it (yet?).
After listening to the Tingos exclusively for about an hour and getting used to the sound, they were quite nice, but still I would rank them lowest among all the buds I possess.
On the bright side, fit is pretty good. They are smaller than my PAA1 Pro, and the housing is not as bulky as the BEB's, making them fit quite nicely. Yet, MX580 is king in this discipline as well.
All in all, considering the price i think you can't really go wrong with these buds, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

In conclusion, my ranking has been, and still is MX580>=BEB>PAA1 Pro>>TG-38S

I'll definitely keep listening to them, mostly in bed, so maybe I'll come up with a different opinion.

May 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #323 of 1,160
Seems there are two different types of reviews on these. I agree 100% bonglee23, I also prefer my BEB over the TG-38s. Wondering if there are build issues with these as well? Causing Bad/Good ones?

EDIT: My current earbud rankings are as follows: Dasetn PK3 DIY (Until 2 Pairs Broke) > BEB 328R > TG-38s > Dasetn PK2 DIY > Dasetn AP8 DIY

Really want to try a pair of the Sennheiser MX580.

May 21, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #324 of 1,160
mine arrived today but i will take them tommorow since DHL here operate at wierd time, they come always during the day time... whats the point?! in addition, i have another 2 pairs coming =3 in total
2 from taobao 1 from aliexpress, i think this one is from ali. will be able to test and react on build issues if there are any.

May 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #326 of 1,160
I have also received the Tingo from Dasetn .
Took 2.5 week to receive.

Mine came with the clamshell case, 3 pairs of foams, a very strong smell of tobacco and rubber

Also the Left and Right are inverted but not a big deal as the housing are identical I can easily switch them.

So far my impressions are:

Build - nice flexible cable though slightly retain kinks, comes with a chin slider, not so present strain relief at the plug. Plug and y-spliter is made of metal.  
Presentation -  v-shaped with good extension on both end of the freq scale, clear sounding  .
Bass - starts around 25hz tight and punchy not boomy, no overbearing midbass hump.
Mids -  not recessed but not intimate, hads to the soundstage the effect of voices sounding in front of you instead of in your head,  slightly elevated from 3khz to 5.5khz not sibilant.
Highs - great highs very good extension up to 17khz though can sound a bit splashy, hi hats and cymbals sounds very present but a little bit artificial.
Separation/Soundstage - excellent separation every instrument have it's space and don't bleed one into the other. Good sense of depth also. Slightly out of head kinda sound.

Overall I am very impressed they sound better than the lately released M2C and not congested as the M2C, more and better bass, more highs way more 3D sense.  
These Tingo really shines in the Separation department, they are very articulate and it hads a lot to the depth.
Not overly thick sounding but not to thin either, they can be a bit fatiguing due to the splashy treble though it might settle down with burn in.

So lets put a bit of perspective here
soundwise are these Vsonic gr07mk2/be level... well no, gr07 are still above in detail retrieval overall freq consistency wider space between instruments better depth and so on...

But these Tingo are no slouch either, easily worth 3x to 4x their price .

May 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #327 of 1,160
  I received my TG-38S today and have been listening to them a bit on both my iPhone with 320 kb mp3 and on my DX50 with FLAC, no EQ on both devices.

To be quite honest, I am a bit underwhelmed after all the praise the buds received here.
I first compared them to my BEB 328R, and they sounded really thin in comparison, with very recessed mids and the tizzyness in the highsmany have described. Bass is also much better on the BEBs and reaches audibly lower.
I have been listening to my Sennheiser MX580 all day at work, and each and every time I'm blown away by their sound. Crisp, detailed, great bass - this is the sound I'm looking for, and the Tingos don't have it (yet?).
After listening to the Tingos exclusively for about an hour and getting used to the sound, they were quite nice, but still I would rank them lowest among all the buds I possess.
On the bright side, fit is pretty good. They are smaller than my PAA1 Pro, and the housing is not as bulky as the BEB's, making them fit quite nicely. Yet, MX580 is king in this discipline as well.
All in all, considering the price i think you can't really go wrong with these buds, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

In conclusion, my ranking has been, and still is MX580>=BEB>PAA1 Pro>>TG-38S

I'll definitely keep listening to them, mostly in bed, so maybe I'll come up with a different opinion.

If you are hearing the mids as recessed, there is something wrong in your audio chain.
See http://www.head-fi.org/t/711844/dasetn-tingo-earbuds-reviews-and-impressions/180#post_10541974 for an example of such issue (for Callanish it was the EQ, you problem might be different).

Tingo's mids are very much forward, not recessed.

May 22, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #328 of 1,160
On my TG-38S, I would not describe the mids as recessed either, but I could see how someone might describe it that way due to the lows and highs being so forward and pronounced.  So it might be a relative matter.  It's too bad that I left for an overseas assignment and didn't get a chance to test the 2nd pair of TG-38S that I ordered.  I was optimistic about the Tingo but it seems the pair I received might be defective because the tizzyness never went away with burn in as others have reported.  And I don't believe it's the source as the Tingo sounded bad out of Geek 450 (very highly regarded DAC/amp) and unamped out of Samsung Note 3.  Other earbuds & earphones I own that sound great are Blox TM7, M760, Hifiman RE-600, Westone 4 and Sony MDR-7550.

May 22, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #330 of 1,160
If I'm honest.....now that I've burned these in for 125 hours, the tizzyness is still there for me as well. I've given them my best shot with EQ adjusting and actually convinced myself that I was happy with the sound, but the truth is I'm not and I've put them in the drawer. If it's due to also having a defective pair, then I'm disappointed that I'm not getting the hear the full potential out of these that others have had. I'm not going to lose sleep over $15 spent, but as I'm still in the market for a pair of earbuds with a mic, I think I'm going to get the blue ever blue 328RM's and I'll compare them to the Tingo's and Blox M2C's
  On my TG-38S, I would not describe the mids as recessed either, but I could see how someone might describe it that way due to the lows and highs being so forward and pronounced.  So it might be a relative matter.  It's too bad that I left for an overseas assignment and didn't get a chance to test the 2nd pair of TG-38S that I ordered.  I was optimistic about the Tingo but it seems the pair I received might be defective because the tizzyness never went away with burn in as others have reported.  And I don't believe it's the source as the Tingo sounded bad out of Geek 450 (very highly regarded DAC/amp) and unamped out of Samsung Note 3.  Other earbuds & earphones I own that sound great are Blox TM7, M760, Hifiman RE-600, Westone 4 and Sony MDR-7550.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back