Darkvoice just released 332
Oct 31, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #826 of 1,892
AWesome setup there,can't wait to hear your impressions.

Im particularly interested as i have the HF-1's but hated the RS-2s after hearing them at the UK meet this weekend out of everything there. plus il be getting some senn 650s and probably the cheaper DV.

O and my dad has that rotel cd player, and i love it and his old skool arcam a60 amp
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #827 of 1,892
Finally got my amp today!

Ordered from 3c-store... ya I know, wrong guy to buy from! So when I got my amp I literally held my breath when opened it up. Glad he gave me what I wanted
cool.gif
only complain is that the powercord is of Asia type and I had to find my own...

So now I need some tubes. Looking at eBay there aren't many choices
mad.gif
Anyone want to sell some spares to me?
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #828 of 1,892
Where are you guys finding tubes if you dont mind me asking. Is there a reliable tube seller online instead of ebay, because the pickins there are rather slim

I'd like to try the SVETLANA 6S19P-B and TUNG-SOL 6AK5W but cannot locate any.

thx in advance

Nov 1, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #829 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhawk22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are you guys finding tubes if you dont mind me asking. Is there a reliable tube seller online instead of ebay, because the pickins there are rather slim

I'd like to try the SVETLANA 6S19P-B and TUNG-SOL 6AK5W but cannot locate any.

thx in advance

They are about on ebay - change the search to worldwide

I've just bought 4 SVET's for £14

Mind you the only Tung-sol's are silly money

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #831 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any difference between SVETLANA 6S19P-B and 6S19P-V ?

They're the same - military grade / ruggedized tubes.

Nov 2, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #832 of 1,892
I've still got an extra set of Tung Sol 6AK5s... if anyone needs them.

They really make the Senns sound their best with the DV332.

Nov 2, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #834 of 1,892
This always happens...

I was just checking out my Pinkfloyd modified XCAN v3, before I pack it up and ship it to its new owner.

And... I now actually think its a bit better than the DV332 driven out of my Underwood Hifi modified Music Hall MMF CD-25 1+ (24/192) through my modified Senn HD580s, or my HD650s.

Just a lot more detailed clarity, resolution, and refinement from top to bottom with great organic texture throughout and a bigger more localized soundstage - not as congested. And the bass impact, and attack / decay is better.

The DV332 may still have a bit better body, weight and liquidity - not sure - but, at the expense of the above qualities.

Maybe its the difference between a SS/tube hybrid and an OTL tube amp. Or... perhaps its "seller's remorse" - but it is definitely better.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #835 of 1,892
I couldn't disagree with you more, Gradofan. I've done my own comparisons between the two, and my conclusions were entirely different. But that's hifi for you.

In stock form, the X-CAN V3 is an okay headphone amp - over-priced for what it is (the component quality is atrocious). Pink Floyd's mods lift it to an entirely new level, but I still prefer the 332. Personally speaking, detail and clarity are better in the 332, with resolution about equal. I agree with you that the X-CAN V3 has greater organic texture. Soundstaging is one of the 332s strong points in my opinion: when I switched directly between the two amps, the 332 had the wider soundstage, and was far from congested. Attack and bass are very good on the X-CAN V3, especially the Pinky modded one, but again I prefer the 332.

As I said, this is a personal opinion. What good for one is just okay or bad for another.

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #837 of 1,892
Quote:

Originally Posted by Godkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't disagree with you more, Gradofan. I've done my own comparisons between the two, and my conclusions were entirely different. But that's hifi for you.

As I said, this is a personal opinion. What good for one is just okay or bad for another.

I think the difference must either be the specific mods we each had, or the burn in, or a difference between the early models and later models... or... the synergy with the rest of the set up.

Also my modified CD-25 at 24/192 provides simply incredible detail, clarity, and soundstaging (using the OPA2134s, rather than the dual channel OPA627s) - that chip also adds great texture, resolution and bass to it. I think my PF XCAN v3 permits all that to shine through, moreso than my DV332.

Of course... I'm focusing on the clarity, resolution, organic detail, and overall refinement, which enhances the postioning in the soundstage, as well as the natural nature of the sound (e.g. realness of the snares and cymbals, etc.). Those attributes are simply stunning in the setup I describe.

Until today... I was focusing more on the power, weight, and tone body of the DV332, which is clearly better than the PF XCANv3.

But today... something just seem to come together with that set up. Perhaps it was only "seller's remorse." But... it seemed real. It was so impressive... I can tell you... had I experienced it previously... I would not have sold my PF XCANv3. But... I was focusing on my other DAC's, and the impressive weight, tone and ambience of the DV332, rather than the incredible resolution and refinement of the sound, I finally noticed with my modified CD-25 and the PF XCANv3.

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #840 of 1,892
Very keen on one of these amps. Would it be a sunstantial upgrade from the LD 2++? On Jasmine's Ebay page its listed at $395 + shipping, but I see you guys are getting it for around $400 shipped. Is the 2007 model more expensive or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back