Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Dec 22, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #841 of 909

Quote:
Hmmm is there any headphones with similar bass qualities to the D5000 and at roughly the same prices? Which would pair well with the Darkvoice. Currently I'm using DT990s and I feel that although the bass impact is excellent it is more of a hard hitting kind of bass, rather than one that reverberates (vibrates?) around your head. I guess I would call it having a more punchy bass, while I've auditioned the D2000s and feel that they have a deeper bass extension, and the D5000s apparently trumps them in bass from what I've read. However I'm unable to audition the Denons with a Darkvoice amp cause the shop I go to does not stock Darkvoices, thus I would not be able to hear what the Denons sound like until I actually buy them, which is a bit risky. So hope you guys can help me out. My emphasis would not only be on music but on gaming and movie watching as well, so would like a set of cans with excellent immersion and good soundstage as well.

Can you take your Darkvoice to the shop where the Denons are?

Les

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #842 of 909
Um I suppose I could but physically it's impossible cause I have to travel half an hour and it's a 15kg tank hahah I don't think it's worth the hassle. Actually the D2000s I've auditioned was powered by a Govibe Peak amp which I'm not too sure how good it actually is. But the headphones sounded good, pretty distinct ( in a good way ) from what I've heard from the beyers so far. Is it a fact that the D5000s actually sound lousy with Darkvoice amps? Would their sound signature actually change so much? (from being bassy to brittle sounding)  as mentioned by pataburd. I'm supposing brittle sounding means recessed mids?

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #843 of 909
Another question! Anyone knows whether the Audio GD Compass or the Cambridge DACMagic will sound like with the Darkvoice337? Am considering either one of these DACs I can get them for around the same price used. Cuz I just realised that there will probably be a major jump in quality if I add a DAC to my setup considering that my source now is currently the integrated sound card on my mobo :X

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #845 of 909

Quote:
Another question! Anyone knows whether the Audio GD Compass or the Cambridge DACMagic will sound like with the Darkvoice337? Am considering either one of these DACs I can get them for around the same price used. Cuz I just realised that there will probably be a major jump in quality if I add a DAC to my setup considering that my source now is currently the integrated sound card on my mobo :X

I have not heard the DACMagic.  But I had the Compass untill just recently and have the 337SE.

The Compass with the Earth HDAM is a very nice piece of gear and sounds great with the DV.  It will also function as a Preamp, a Headphone amp, and a standalone DAC, and as a standalone Headphoen amp.  The only reason I got rid of it was because I had too much gear.  I really liked the sound of it though.  One advantage of the Compass is that if you don't want to wait for the warmup of the 337, you can just plugin to the Compass HA.  It is very versatile.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #846 of 909
Okay i bought the dacmagic cuz it was going for a pretty cheap price used... certainly an improvement in the sound signature i must say. Still in the midst of putting it through its paces. But I found out a strange thing, my Darkvoice amp is no longer as hot as before, It's strange because a few days ago I couldn't even touch it for more than 3 seconds without burning my fingertips, but now the whole amp is noticeably cooler ( the surface of it at least ), and the weirdest thing is that the right side of the amp is much cooler than the left, to the touch. No discernable change in sound or drop in quality, but I slightly worried cause my amp is a used set and I have no idea if this means anything. The tubes are still equally hot to the touch though ( like light bulbs ) 

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #847 of 909
How does this amp do with the 600 ohm Beyers?
I've seen Yuking say the 332 c/s are better for 250ohm headphones. Has anyone tried it?
I like a dark and warm sounding amp, with a good bass punch (i know it depends on the tubes, but still)

thanks guys

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #848 of 909
Very, very well. It would be a great choice with 600 ohm Beyers.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #850 of 909
I never compared them directly, and I had sold the 337 by the time I got the T1.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #855 of 909
Gents-

Just picked up a used 337 and a slew of tubes from a US seller ......I am in the US as well.

Received it today and I notice it is a 110 VAC 50 Hz machine. Is this amp going to work here in the States?

I'm thinking it does not really matter as what I recall cycles only really matter when motors are involved.  

Anyone have some first-hand knowledge on this subject?

For that matter what country uses such an electrical service?

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back