Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Mar 31, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #811 of 909
I had a similar problem with my stx card,
cleaning the opamp pins fixed it for me (just reseating them didn't work) after trying various other "fixes".
Hope this helps,gotta start somewhere.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #812 of 909
Whoops, missunderstood what you said. I'm going to play with it some more.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #813 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I've started wondering about computer load problems. My CPU and RAM should be more than fine. I am more inclined to think that it's where my music is stored. I have all my music stored on a 5400 RPM external USB hard drive. Thing of it is that I've never had this problem until now, why would it pop up suddenly like this if it was a computer based problem? It shouldn't. No viri or spyware to bog it down, I scanned earlier today in fact.

I'm using my Compass from the motherboard (driver issues with the X-Fi card I have on Windows 7 x64) using coax. I have tried using iTunes instead of Foobar2000 though with USB instead of coax and I had the same problems.

I am noticing now that the problems come in bursts, like the cache has maxed out and needs refilling. I will try moving some music onto one of my 7200 RPM internals and see if I have the same problems.

I hope it's not my HDAM since I think the 337 already accentuates in allllllll the right places, the Moon HDAM's coloration isn't needed anymore like it used to be =D

EDIT:: Playing some FLAC songs I already had on internal hard drives helps a bit, the general pops are gone. There's still some digital distortion of the buffer overrun type but it shouldn't be CPU or RAM as when I play FLAC on foobar my CPU usage doesn't even break 2% with a bunch of other programs running. My ram doesn't break 46%. I just think it comes down to hard drive spin up. All these stupid hyper energy efficient hard drives are made to spin down as much as possible...which means if you're doing something hard drive intensive and periodic, it will have to be constantly respun back up =P

There is clearly digital "tearing" (what I call it), when I load a web page in firefox. Still doesn't make sense though as my CPU load still doesn't go above 40% in those instances. Naturally my ram doesn't go up at all.

Potentially just a restart is all that will be needed to fix the tearing. The pops are completely gone though. The pops must have been external 5400 RPM hard drive related.

Test with an iPod? That would eliminate the computer source.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #814 of 909
I'd say that I elimated the computer source already. It's most likely the external HDD. I will test that once and for all by swapping back to the Earth HDAM and using music from an internal HDD. If that comes up pop free, then I know it's the external spindle speed.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #815 of 909
Quote:

I'd say that I elimated the computer source already. It's most likely the external HDD. I will test that once and for all by swapping back to the Earth HDAM and using music from an internal HDD. If that comes up pop free, then I know it's the external spindle speed.

Groovy!

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #816 of 909
Yep, swapped back to the Earth HDAM, restarted the computer, and am using the FLAC files on internal hard drives. No pops at all.

Hmm...now even the files on my external are pop free. It must have just been a resources thing, the restart must have freed up some pagefile or something. Got me =X

Sounds beautiful though! A few songs where I was used to a tiny bit of harshness from my Compass+Hd650 combination is absolutely gone. Everything is just so smooth. The soundstaging I heard everyone rave about I didn't notice...until I took the time to pay attention. Michael Jackson's The Girl is Mine in 24bit (ripped from Vinyl) really puts the soundstaging front and center (in the good figurative sense).

Mar 31, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #817 of 909
Quote:

Yep, swapped back to the Earth HDAM, restarted the computer, and am using the FLAC files on internal hard drives. No pops at all.

Hmm...now even the files on my external are pop free. It must have just been a resources thing, the restart must have freed up some pagefile or something. Got me =X

Sounds beautiful though! A few songs where I was used to a tiny bit of harshness from my Compass+Hd650 combination is absolutely gone. Everything is just so smooth. The soundstaging I heard everyone rave about I didn't notice...until I took the time to pay attention. Michael Jackson's The Girl is Mine in 24bit (ripped from Vinyl) really puts the soundstaging front and center (in the good figurative sense).

Maybe your HDAM was not seated well? The compass socket and the hdam pins are not an ideal match.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #818 of 909
Gotta keep those pins clean !!
took me a week of messing in the o/s to figure it out.
It ran fine for a few weeks after installing new opamps,then the sound just went bad,i suspected a driver problem or a cache problem too,i got so p*ssed with it i just stripped the opamps out and cleaned everything and it worked.

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #820 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordonshowers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He mentioned a 339 recently, but I haven't seen or heard anything about it since.

Ah, here's the most recent news about it:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/loo...-336-a-472347/

Edit: Apparently Yuking himself designed the original 337.

Thanks,looks like an interesting development.Not sure if it's more suited to low impedance phones.
Love my 337se,but if this is an upgrade,I will be seriously interested.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #823 of 909
That looks like a powerful beast,
It'll cost a small fortune to ship from china,looks a real heavyweight,better start reinforcing your shelving,
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #825 of 909
Cheaper now than when I got it. Was already a good deal before but it's a really good deal now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back