Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Mar 16, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #797 of 909
I believe they made a cut-and-paste mistake on that site, unless they have made a change. The 337SE was using the 6BX6/EF80 for driver tubes instead of the 337's 6SJ7. Electrically those tubes are basically the same, but the 6SJ7 is octal-base, and the 6BX6 noval.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #798 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they made a cut-and-paste mistake on that site, unless they have made a change. The 337SE was using the 6BX6/EF80 for driver tubes instead of the 337's 6SJ7. Electrically those tubes are basically the same, but the 6SJ7 is octal-base, and the 6BX6 noval.

What he said ^^^^^

The SE may have less tube rolling opportunities than the Std model

If that's your thing...

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #799 of 909
Well I have some Tung Sol 6SJ7GT mesh plates and RCA 6AS7G's coming in. Hopefully my 337 will be shipping tomorrow or Monday (in China time). It's all coming together. "eeeeeexcellent!"

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #800 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have some Tung Sol 6SJ7GT mesh plates and RCA 6AS7G's coming in. Hopefully my 337 will be shipping tomorrow or Monday (in China time). It's all coming together. "eeeeeexcellent!"

Can you post some internal and external pix when you get it?

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #801 of 909
No problem. I was planning on doing that anyway =D

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #802 of 909
Just got the 337 in along with the RCA 6AS7G tubes. This is exactly the kind of sound I've wanted, wow. I would say that I am a tube convert XD. There are some intermittent pops that seem to be going on that are pretty distracting. I have isolated out my computer as the problem and I am confident my Compass isn't as I have been listening to that for a long time without this issue. It's something to do with the 337, possibly the tubes (hopefully the tubes since that's an easier fix). Maybe it's a common affliction that is due to a new analog amplifier product needing to be broken in? I also was forced to get a bit ghetto with the power plugs so that could also be a cause of the problem.

Despite the pops, it sounds incredible. Emphasis in the areas I've always wanted it, perfect. I'm still running the Chinese 6J8Ps and it hasn't burned in yet, so I suspect it will only get better from here. Especially once the pops are taken care of.

I'm listening to a brand new musical infatuation for me--Aurosonic - Always Together album--and it sounds amazing. The album uses a lot of piano and female vocals and it really makes the two sound amazing.

I gotta get back to work XD I will be wishing I was home all day though listening to this. In the mean time it will be burning in!

BTW, I looked at the internals and it is using the newer 2009 variant (whole row of green capacitors towards the front). No preamp.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #803 of 909
Quote:

Just got the 337 in along with the RCA 6AS7G tubes. This is exactly the kind of sound I've wanted, wow. I would say that I am a tube convert XD. There are some intermittent pops that seem to be going on that are pretty distracting. I have isolated out my computer as the problem and I am confident my Compass isn't as I have been listening to that for a long time without this issue. It's something to do with the 337, possibly the tubes (hopefully the tubes since that's an easier fix). Maybe it's a common affliction that is due to a new analog amplifier product needing to be broken in? I also was forced to get a bit ghetto with the power plugs so that could also be a cause of the problem.

Despite the pops, it sounds incredible. Emphasis in the areas I've always wanted it, perfect. I'm still running the Chinese 6J8Ps and it hasn't burned in yet, so I suspect it will only get better from here. Especially once the pops are taken care of.

I'm listening to a brand new musical infatuation for me--Aurosonic - Always Together album--and it sounds amazing. The album uses a lot of piano and female vocals and it really makes the two sound amazing.

I gotta get back to work XD I will be wishing I was home all day though listening to this. In the mean time it will be burning in!

BTW, I looked at the internals and it is using the newer 2009 variant (whole row of green capacitors towards the front). No preamp.

It shouldn't be popping. The RCAs will sound very nice and smooth.

I would get the cheap tubes outta there for sure. A shorted tube can take your amp out.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #804 of 909
Ok, I isolated each channel on the 337. As it is dual mono from PSU to output jack the pops should only be on one channel. They weren't, the pops were in both channels. That means it isn't the 337. I also changed the 6N5P tubes back to the Chinese ones and the pops were still there.

The problem is outside of the 337. I put in the Earth HDAM into my Compass today (have been using the Moon for many months now) so maybe that is the problem. I will have a listen from my compass directly and see if the pops are there.

Yep, sure enough, pops out of the compass directly. Man those pops sounded soooo good on that 337, hahaha. Amazing what the 337 can do just with pops! Means its either my computer (foobar2000) or the HDAM.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #805 of 909
I wonder if yuking will redo the 337 for La Figaro and release it as a competitor against the LD MK VI / MK VIII.

A balanced darkvoice would be amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #806 of 909
Quote:

Ok, I isolated each channel on the 337. As it is dual mono from PSU to output jack the pops should only be on one channel. They weren't, the pops were in both channels. That means it isn't the 337. I also changed the 6N5P tubes back to the Chinese ones and the pops were still there.

The problem is outside of the 337. I put in the Earth HDAM into my Compass today (have been using the Moon for many months now) so maybe that is the problem. I will have a listen from my compass directly and see if the pops are there.

Yep, sure enough, pops out of the compass directly. Man those pops sounded soooo good on that 337, hahaha. Amazing what the 337 can do just with pops! Means its either my computer (foobar2000) or the HDAM.

Well, who would want to listen to poorly resolved Pops!

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #807 of 909
dbs what source are you using (SC or on board audio of the mobo ?). Three things come to mind, the pins on the NOS tubes may need cleaning, the Earth HDAM may not be fully seated (or making poor contact in the DIP8 socket) or the SC/media player buffering/cpu load on the USB bus may be producing this noise. How many USB devices do you have on this computer ?

Of the 3 mentioned I willing to bet it's the computer. What software player and driver are you using ? What connection to the Compass are you using (from the source) ?

Can you use another digital input on the Compass to narrow down the possibilities please. A stand alone CDP would rule out the DAC and the 337 fairly quickly if you can get a hold of one (and a COAX digital cable) if it plays cleanly of course with the stand alone CDP.

What operating system are you using, how much ram do you have installed and what CPU are you running ?

Peete.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #809 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbacic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if yuking will redo the 337 for La Figaro and release it as a competitor against the LD MK VI / MK VIII.

A balanced darkvoice would be amazing
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah,i've been wondering if yuking will be making his version of the 337.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #810 of 909
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbs what source are you using (SC or on board audio of the mobo ?). Three things come to mind, the pins on the NOS tubes may need cleaning, the Earth HDAM may not be fully seated (or making poor contact in the DIP8 socket) or the SC/media player buffering/cpu load on the USB bus may be producing this noise. How many USB devices do you have on this computer ?

Of the 3 mentioned I willing to bet it's the computer. What software player and driver are you using ? What connection to the Compass are you using (from the source) ?

Can you use another digital input on the Compass to narrow down the possibilities please. A stand alone CDP would rule out the DAC and the 337 fairly quickly if you can get a hold of one (and a COAX digital cable) if it plays cleanly of course with the stand alone CDP.

What operating system are you using, how much ram do you have installed and what CPU are you running ?

Peete.

Yea, I've started wondering about computer load problems. My CPU and RAM should be more than fine. I am more inclined to think that it's where my music is stored. I have all my music stored on a 5400 RPM external USB hard drive. Thing of it is that I've never had this problem until now, why would it pop up suddenly like this if it was a computer based problem? It shouldn't. No viri or spyware to bog it down, I scanned earlier today in fact.

I'm using my Compass from the motherboard (driver issues with the X-Fi card I have on Windows 7 x64) using coax. I have tried using iTunes instead of Foobar2000 though with USB instead of coax and I had the same problems.

I am noticing now that the problems come in bursts, like the cache has maxed out and needs refilling. I will try moving some music onto one of my 7200 RPM internals and see if I have the same problems.

I hope it's not my HDAM since I think the 337 already accentuates in allllllll the right places, the Moon HDAM's coloration isn't needed anymore like it used to be =D

EDIT:: Playing some FLAC songs I already had on internal hard drives helps a bit, the general pops are gone. There's still some digital distortion of the buffer overrun type but it shouldn't be CPU or RAM as when I play FLAC on foobar my CPU usage doesn't even break 2% with a bunch of other programs running. My ram doesn't break 46%. I just think it comes down to hard drive spin up. All these stupid hyper energy efficient hard drives are made to spin down as much as possible...which means if you're doing something hard drive intensive and periodic, it will have to be constantly respun back up =P

There is clearly digital "tearing" (what I call it), when I load a web page in firefox. Still doesn't make sense though as my CPU load still doesn't go above 40% in those instances. Naturally my ram doesn't go up at all.

Potentially just a restart is all that will be needed to fix the tearing. The pops are completely gone though. The pops must have been external 5400 RPM hard drive related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back