Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Feb 18, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #857 of 909
Thanks ..........I was more concerned regarding the 50 Hz issue but I've powered up the unit and all is fine. Another newbie question though .....

The fine seller of this unit also included a collection of tubes for me to try including the following:

* The originals
* (4) RCA 6AS7G
* (4) Russian 6H13C
* (2) Philips 6SJ7WGT

So the story with me is I've been out of the high-end music scene for some time and have never owned a tube amp. I understand with this amp the pair of tubes nearest the front of the unit are the power tubes and the rear set are the drivers.  

I've tried the amp out with the stock tubes but before I start swapping these others in ........is there any danger in putting a perticular tube in the wrong location and blowing it up or is everyhtning that I have interchangable in any slot?

What would be a good arrangement to try based on what I have in hand?

There wasn't any manual included with the unit so I'm really shooting from the hip here and I thnk you guys for all the help.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #858 of 909

Quote:
Thanks ..........I was more concerned regarding the 50 Hz issue but I've powered up the unit and all is fine. Another newbie question though .....

The fine seller of this unit also included a collection of tubes for me to try including the following:

* The originals
* (4) RCA 6AS7G
* (4) Russian 6H13C
* (2) Philips 6SJ7WGT

<<SNIP>>

I have the SE version.  But you should not be able to get one set mixed up from the other.  The pin-out should be greatly different.  You can play around all you want and then settle on the RCA's.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #859 of 909
The 6SJ7, which are the driver tubes, must be in the back. Do not put them in the front, or very bad things will happen. The sockets are the same octal-base type as the 6AS7 power tubes, but do NOT mix these up. Power tubes in the front, driver tubes in the back.

Beyond that, no problem to swap the RCA 6AS7's for the Russian ones, but keep them in pairs of the same brand.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #860 of 909

Quote:
The 6SJ7, which are the driver tubes, must be in the back. Do not put them in the front, or very bad things will happen. The sockets are the same octal-base type as the 6AS7 power tubes, but do NOT mix these up. Power tubes in the front, driver tubes in the back.

Beyond that, no problem to swap the RCA 6AS7's for the Russian ones, but keep them in pairs of the same brand.

Mine's definitely a lot different then.  I have 9 pin and 8 pin in the SE version.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #861 of 909
That's right - the SE used the 6BX6/EF80 for the driver tube, yes? Electrically equivalent to the 6SJ7, but as you pointed out, it's 9-pin.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #864 of 909
Sorry to bump the thread, but i just got this baby.

Would like to check if the tubes needed for the amp need to be in matched pairs. (For both driver/power tubes)

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #865 of 909

Quote:
Sorry to bump the thread, but i just got this baby.

Would like to check if the tubes needed for the amp need to be in matched pairs. (For both driver/power tubes)

If you were deaf in one ear, mismatched tubes could be used to good advantage perhaps...

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #866 of 909
I really want to get an LCD-2 but am a little worried that this is not the right amp for the job.
Can the DV337 power the LCD-2 or is this not a good match? Anyone tried them together?

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #867 of 909
I have the 339. It has enough power but I don't like the combination with the 339 that much.
The He-500 on the other matches great with the 339

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #870 of 909
Quote:

But when prompted to drive the K1000s, it begs for mercy, clipping at only around 12 o’clock.

Op-amps reaching their limit under high load. Give it better op-amps and give those more voltage to work with and the issue should go away... (matching impedance between k1000 and the amp would help too, but I am not sure how exactly impedance transformers influence the quality of the signal).

Excellent review, although I wonder how would this amp work with lower impedance headphones? Although low impedance issues are not difficult to fix, additional impedance is probably the easiest thing to add in the chain. Also how do you feel about its performance with classical through dt880s?

Also, what power adapter do you use? Sorry to be asking 10000 questions >.< Just bought 337's lil brother 332, while sitting with an hd595, and am wondering about ways to get the best out the amp (332 is supposedly very similar to 337), apart from tube-rolling.

Just got my 337 home...yeah..was a bit of a gamble but when i test heard it with my new he500 i was cured.. it pairs heavenly with my he500...i think it also has to do with the tube setup...and its modded..the two on-switches are now on backside to avoid interference i understood from the previous owner..check my avatar for pic... I play music from my hm602 with volume on 21 o'clock on the 337..so powerfull!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back