Darkvoice 337 - A Review
Nov 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #871 of 909
I have the 339. It has enough power but I don't like the combination with the 339 that much.
The He-500 on the other matches great with the 339

I can vote for this..my 337 also pairs well with my he500...but maybe the double helix quicksilver headphone cable has something to do with the right pairing?

Feb 16, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #872 of 909
Any other difference between the 337 and 339? Are tubes used the same? Last but not least, is 337 able to drive the HE500 PROPERLY ( same >600mw output as 339?) ? Thanks

From headfonia's review,

Yuking’s statement is that he improved the Darkvoice designs even more giving an even better listening experience to the customer. The 339 is the La Figaro version of the DarkVoice 337, but upgraded. Here’s what LF had to say: “The output capacitors of 337 series machines is only 50μF but 339 is 130μF, so 339 have more strength in the bass, the structure of 339 is more reasonable, the pipe is on the front far from the the transformer avoiding interference. Especially with low impedance, the headphones can be very clear, 337 has a mild hum when it running low impedance headphones. 339 has better components, tubes: RCA socket by CMC and Headphone socket by Neutrik both make reliability better”.

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #873 of 909
Hi,

I've had the DV 337 for some time now, and I'll be changing my source therefore I would like to know if any of you knows what is the maximum admissible input level on the DV 337?

Would 4 Vrms clip its input?

Thanks

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #878 of 909
I purchased a used 337 from a fellow head-fi'er, it's coming with the Svetlana rare 70'ties 6as7g (power) and RCA 5693 'red hots'(driver) tubes. The seller's extremely helpful regarding info about tubes etc but I'd like to do some reading up on this.  A lot of info is right here on the site (from skylab, pataburd and others) but it's spread all over the place.  Is there a recommended book (preferably on paper, I'm old fashioned) that gives an overview of the basics and that (ideally) provides a cross-referenced list of all tubes that are compatible/interchangeable and states their characteristics?

Lots of stuff to learn but for a newbie like me the terminology and tube codes etc are very confusing.

Thanks!  Looking forward to trying out the amp in a couple of days, first tube experience for me.  Oh, and if anyone knows a recommend (preferably EU-based) website that has a large selection that info's always welcome.  I found Langrex in the UK, looks like they have a huge inventory but alas, no online pricing info.  And  tube world also looks interesting but they're in the US so that means long distance shipping and customs formalities + extra taxes.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #879 of 909
Hifimanrookie finally sold his 337?
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #880 of 909
Tu dixisti....I was looking to give tube amplifiers a try, could have purchased a new one from anywhere but as I've no experience and don't know if I'll like they way they sound I was looking for a cheap, good quality solid design and no hassles shipping it from China.  Don't need the latest whistles and bells.  I saw a picture of the wiring in a 337 and was hugely impressed by the cleanness so started digging and found good reviews and one on sale from a fellow head-fier living close by (well, close by when I'm in Europe, I shift between locations).  It'll be here soon, really looking forward to it.  Not for my HE-6 but curious as to how the other cans will sound vs my ss setup.

The only thing is the learning curve about tubes looming like Mt Everest...

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #881 of 909
Langrex sell via eBay too.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #882 of 909
I purchased a used 337 from a fellow head-fi'er, it's coming with the Svetlana rare 70'ties 6as7g (power) and RCA 5693 'red hots'(driver) tubes. The seller's extremely helpful regarding info about tubes etc but I'd like to do some reading up on this.  A lot of info is right here on the site (from skylab, pataburd and others) but it's spread all over the place.  Is there a recommended book (preferably on paper, I'm old fashioned) that gives an overview of the basics and that (ideally) provides a cross-referenced list of all tubes that are compatible/interchangeable and states their characteristics?

Lots of stuff to learn but for a newbie like me the terminology and tube codes etc are very confusing.

Thanks!  Looking forward to trying out the amp in a couple of days, first tube experience for me.  Oh, and if anyone knows a recommend (preferably EU-based) website that has a large selection that info's always welcome.  I found Langrex in the UK, looks like they have a huge inventory but alas, no online pricing info.  And  tube world also looks interesting but they're in the US so that means long distance shipping and customs formalities + extra taxes.

@ultrainferno: yep..sold it. And i have a feeling the evil one found a good home :wink:

Here u have some info about tubes that go well with the 337... Print it out so u have it on paper.. :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/324469/review-four-6as7g-based-home-tube-headphone-amps-reviewed-and-compared

http://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=3453.0

A bit oftopic..just got my first pic of my new amp..sexy!!! :D U can find it on the he500 appreciation thread if interested :wink:

Tip... Find some better feet! Tip: herbies audiolab tenderfoot..... They are extremely good in what they do and very affordable..i had them under my 337..

Ps.. I bought all my tubes oversees..florida based tubestore..cant remember the name now..but they are excellent to deal with and trustworthy.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #883 of 909
There is a local shop that carries three different models of Darkvoice. If I get the chance, I will see if I can try them out with the HD800, TH600 and TH900. I am in the market for one of these three headphones and I would like to add an entry/mid level amp with the HP purchase.

I'm listening to some Buble with the MBA->E18->Pro900. It's quite nice and I would like to see how he would sound through the above set up.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #884 of 909
For those based in Europe and looking for tubes, after searching the net for hours I stumbled upon a site in my own back yard that looks like it has a very decent selection indeed.  Ordered a couple of sets from them (6SJ7WGT  and 6AS7GA, both Sylvania) and the process was very smooth, I got a tracking number and the tubes will be here next monday.

Their shop:  http://electols.com/index.php?main_page=index

I'm not affiliated with them in any way except as a customer.

Jan 26, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #885 of 909
Ok, many people reading this will probably think that i'm either lying (see attached pic though) or deaf but here goes:

Upon receiving my DV 337 I imagined using it with my HE-500 and especially the Senn HD-800.  I also own a HifiMan HE-6 but never, ever imagined that I'd be able to power it correctly on the 337.  Of course, out of curiosity I did give it a try and almost fell off my chair upon hearing that it actually performs well!  

Setup:  Macbook Pro-- USB to Violectric V800 DAC, output volume at 90%---Atratus RCA interconnects--DV 337 powered by TungSol 5998 and RCA 6504 (metal, red) tubes---Toxic cable--HE-6.

I normally listen to classical at low-normal volume, using my V-200 amp with the HE-6 the volume dials are usually at 9-10 'o clock, with the 337 I'm currently listening to Schubert with the volume dials at 12.  That's plenty loud for me, bass is full (put on an organ concerto to check), the highs are not clipped or distorted, nothing like that, just a clean tube sound and to my ears a good pairing even though the impedance of the 6 is only 50 Ohms.

Frankly, I don't understand how this is possible.  OK, it's a dual mono design but powering one of the most inefficient headphones on the market???  I wonder what the output is, DV are a bit cagey about this but going from what I hear it can't be less than 1 W/channel into 50 Ohms.  The HE-6 documentation specifies a minimum requirement of 2W for an amp and my comparison point (the V200) delivers 2.75W.

If anyone has some sort of explanation for this then by all means, share.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back