Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #11,956 of 14,501
@AudioCats no it's not that bad at all. Great price point - it feels solid-ly built (like a tank), and sounds great when on point (tubes with no hum). I mean I started out with the HD6XX/650 and the DV was the only amp in this price point I was able to try that was "stars aligned super magical" sound with those headphones versus any hybrid or SS amp. No regrets at all. The DV made me learn a ton more about tubes and amplifier tech and it has been a fascinating ride.

I wish they did do the things as mentioned. I wonder if when they were designing or updating the 336, it's centered to run with their baseline operating specs: 220 and stock Chinese tubes. Anything that deviates from that - well you know anything can happen.

I think that maybe it is a pretty good litmus test of an amp - if it can take Russian tubes free and clear - I wonder if that is a good sign of the amp build/implementation. It was irritating for me on the DV to put some Melz/Fotons/Fonon and hear it could sound really really great but held back by the amp itself due to noise or hum.

So to that effect - @Paladin79 when you were designing the Incubus, I know you had it in mind to bring out the best out of the 6SN7 tube - did you have specific tubes in mind when you were building/tuning the amp as a baseline?
Power tubes remained the same, I used a matched quad of Tung Sol 5998's. I was having trouble finding four of anything I really liked better than those. It had to work well with Melz 1578's from the mid fifties to early sixties for me to be happy with it. Those tubes exhibit an excellent range across the whole audio spectrum IMHO.

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #11,957 of 14,501
come on, the 336se is not that bad.
though I do wish they do things a little differently, so I don't do unnecessary component replacements.
(not that the amp in stock configuration doesn't work, just that I can't live with some of the issues)

** the volume control is a linear pot ==> the usable adjustment range is only about 30 degrees
** capacitor clamps down too far, deforms the aluminum housings, (some pretty badly)
** filament supply could have been DC to begin with, it will only cost them $5, they can probably charge $50 extra for this "silent no hum" edition.

and I think the transformer can be a bit larger. There is lots of space in the transformer box, if they can put in a 100w transformer and charge $50 more it will still be worth it.
I found the heater mod to have the most impact, members here also suggested replacing resistors and end caps and helped me with a list of what to get from mouser... and before all that....yeah DV was pretty bad... lol. If you kept the volume low you'd be happy with it. with the mods, I'm more than happy. I can slam Fotons in there too with no problems now, where as before I couldn't, same with the new Tung Sol, both hummed like a...a...a.humming bird? You know I've really forgotten how all that was.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #11,958 of 14,501
Hi this thread is crazy long and I want to change my 336i tubes but need suggestions (links would be appreciated it, I'm new to tube amps)

Headphones are DT 990 pro

Stock tube issues:
Bright, sibilant, etched, no warmth to the mids, little soundstage

What I want:
Smooth and detailed, stronger and deeper bass, warmer / liquid mids, deep soundstage; no sibilance

I'm willing to change both tubes to achieve what I want. It sounds horrible as is
Hi Guys, any suggestions? I got a PM, with someone offering to sell me tubes, with no mention of what the tubes were.
However, I'm looking for recommendations and folks to weigh in on what might achieve what I'm after (on the board, not solicitations please)

Really appreciate your feedback. I haven't a clue what is a good combo. Thank you

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #11,959 of 14,501
Hi Guys, any suggestions? I got a PM, with someone offering to sell me tubes, with no mention of what the tubes were.
However, I'm looking for recommendations and folks to weigh in on what might achieve what I'm after (on the board, not solicitations please)

Really appreciate your feedback. I haven't a clue what is a good combo. Thank you

Not sure how much you want to spend:

Driver Tubes: Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231, RCA Gray Glass VT-231, National Union Black Glass 6SN7
Power Tubes: Tung Sol 6080

There are more pricey tubes as well. But these are baseline recommendations - a good place to start. Of course, the rest of your chain will have bearing on what combinations will actually work, but just these tubes alone on their own merit will give steps in the right direction.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #11,961 of 14,501
He PMd me asking the same question, was it bad I offered to sell him some if my tubes? o.O

He'd be lucky to get some of your tubes. Your collection is impressive....

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #11,962 of 14,501
Not sure how much you want to spend:

Driver Tubes: Ken Rad Black Glass VT-231, RCA Gray Glass VT-231, National Union Black Glass 6SN7
Power Tubes: Tung Sol 6080

There are more pricey tubes as well. But these are baseline recommendations - a good place to start. Of course, the rest of your chain will have bearing on what combinations will actually work, but just these tubes alone on their own merit will give steps in the right direction.
I am better off not talking tubes but I like those suggestions. Finnegan has his own preferences. EC62AF86-3E57-484E-A5CA-D44B661FA4F5.jpeg

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #11,964 of 14,501
I am better off not talking tubes but I like those suggestions. Finnegan has his own preferences.EC62AF86-3E57-484E-A5CA-D44B661FA4F5.jpeg

Do you feed Finnegan Caviar and Champange also? :smirk:

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #11,965 of 14,501
Nov 24, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #11,966 of 14,501
I am better off not talking tubes but I like those suggestions. Finnegan has his own preferences.EC62AF86-3E57-484E-A5CA-D44B661FA4F5.jpeg
Finnegan is finicky: paw sanitiser before ‘rolling’ 😖 tubes…

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #11,967 of 14,501
@SilverCans There are also Sylvania "Bad Boys" 6SN7GT that allegedly is also known for bass. I've never had these, so someone else may be able to comment on them more intelligibly especially what makes them the real deal (or search on other threads - I know this is thoroughly discussed). But one more thing to consider - some people swear by the Sylvania house sound.

Nov 24, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #11,970 of 14,501
I am looking into current production tubes, PCX has:

electroHarmonix 6sn7 $21
electroHarmonix 6sn7 gold pin $43
shuGuang "treasure" CV-181-Z (6sn7) $110
sovtek 6sngt $23
Tung-sol (russian?) 6sn7gtb $27

which one is the most detailed?
If you're asking for opinions.....

The Electro Harmonix and Sovtek (pretty much the same thing) will be the most detailed....and are also pretty threadbare in the mids and can be uncomfortably aggressive in the treble depending on what 'phones you're using. The new production Tung Sol isn't bad, but that doesn't mean it's good, only that it's not bad. :laughing: For my personal tastes, the Shuguang would be my first pick of what you listed, but it will be warmer sounding than the rest and will not be the most detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back