Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #11,926 of 14,511
I'm wondering what the best pre-built 6SN7 foundation might be, better than the DV but not into the next price tier? Is Eufonika a step up? There are more new brands these days than I can keep up with.

So in the same price range as the DV - they say the xDuoo TA-26 is a step up/refined version of the Darkvoice, a would be successor. Buying a used Bottlehead Crack is also a good alternative and can be had to similar or just slightly higher prices depending on if its stock or modded.

Eufonika H5 is definitely a step up but it also starts sliding slightly upwards in price.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #11,927 of 14,511

Tell him he needs a Bendix 6080 Slotted Graphite Tube. and oh wait...you just happen to have said tube....and oh look....it could be had for a good price..... Lol. :smile:

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #11,928 of 14,511
🎼🎶🎵🎼🎶🎵:

Who can take a tube (who can take a tube),
Price it really high (price it really high),
Post it on EBay (post it on EBay),
Wring your wallet dry (wring your wallet dry)?

The Bangy man can (the Bangy man can),
The Bangy man can ‘cause the money is his love.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #11,929 of 14,511

Tell him he needs a Bendix 6080 Slotted Graphite Tube. and oh wait...you just happen to have said tube....and oh look....it could be had for a good price..... Lol. :smile:

Tell him he needs a Bendix 6080 Slotted Graphite Tube

🎼🎶🎵🎼🎶🎵:

Who can take a tube (who can take a tube),
Price it really high (price it really high),
Post in on EBay (post in on EBay),
Wring your wallet dry (wring your wallet dry)?

The Bangy man can (the Bangy man can),
The Bangy man can ‘cause the money is his love.
Lm FA 0 😂😂

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #11,930 of 14,511
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(what the PM should have said)

What the PM really said:

"These GE's are the absolute best. Ever. Greatest tubes ever made. Seriously. I sooooooo hate to part with it, but for a fellow HeadFi'er I'll sacrifice and sell you this GE 6080 that tests 27/59 (with 60 being minimum good) for only $350. Plus shipping, of course"

:laughing:

Nov 23, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #11,931 of 14,511
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(what the PM should have said)

What the PM really said:

"These GE's are the absolute best. Ever. Greatest tubes ever made. Seriously. I sooooooo hate to part with it, but for a fellow HeadFi'er I'll sacrifice and sell you this GE 6080 that tests 27/59 (with 60 being minimum good) for only $350. Plus shipping, of course"

:laughing:
I will not deny or confirm such PM happened... 🙃

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #11,932 of 14,511
I like it for what it is, yes. I meant to say that the DV is way superior to what I started out with and suffered through. It's better than a lot of starter setups.
What other starter amps? There are some pretty crappy amps coming out of China for less money, maybe it beats those?😜 I have repaired several and few start off with the hum of the dark voice, I can hear it and I can measure it lol. I guess you can ignore that and say the treble sounds good? How about the sound improving when you disconnect the pre-amp out?

Nov 23, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #11,933 of 14,511
I will not deny or confirm such PM happened... 🙃
Head-Fi Impossible: “The administrator will disavow any knowledge of your action. This PM will self-destruct in fifteen seconds…”

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #11,934 of 14,511
What other starter amps? There are some pretty crappy amps coming out of China for less money, maybe it beats those?😜 I have repaired several and few start off with the hum of the dark voice, I can hear it and I can measure it lol. I guess you can ignore that and say the treble sounds good? How about the sound improving when you disconnect the pre-amp out?
How about the sound improving when you turn it all off?…

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #11,935 of 14,511
How about the sound improving when you turn it all off?…
lol.. well, do a little mod here, and a little mod there. Smiles everyone...and welcome, to Fantasy Island.
PDFOn-1533131789-2150-blog-fantasyisland_reboot.gif

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #11,936 of 14,511
lol.. well, do a little mod here, and a little mod there. Smiles everyone...and welcome, to Fantasy Island.
PDFOn-1533131789-2150-blog-fantasyisland_reboot.gif
The visual equivalent of the sound of desktop ‘chi-fi’ 🙉 🙈 !!!

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #11,937 of 14,511

Yeah - I can't speak for @g3n3r1c 's experience but I just think of the other Chinese amps. They range from the Nobsounds to the Little Dot, Sabaj, or Loxjie series as far as I can remember. The DV hum is the worst - especially for non DIYers like myself. I was able to burn-in tubes enough and make most of the tubes I acquired usable, but the process and time involved with that wears on one over time - primarily the reason why I finally moved on from it. But I wouldn't change anything, it was an inexpensive way to experience that full tube OTL sound.

Nov 23, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #11,938 of 14,511
Yeah - I can't speak for @g3n3r1c 's experience but I just think of the other Chinese amps. They range from the Nobsounds to the Little Dot, Sabaj, or Loxjie series as far as I can remember. The DV hum is the worst - especially for non DIYers like myself. I was able to burn-in tubes enough and make most of the tubes I acquired usable, but the process and time involved with that wears on one over time - primarily the reason why I finally moved on from it. But I wouldn't change anything, it was an inexpensive way to experience that full tube OTL sound.
There is a reason so many try to modify the DV.😉
Plug in some respected Russian tubes and the SQ is even worse.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #11,939 of 14,511
There is a reason so many try to modify the DV.😉
Plug in some respected Russian tubes and the SQ is even worse.
🔑 is ‘try’. Is conquering the DV akin to conquering Afghanistan over the ages?…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back